Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New 575 - About to Pull the Trigger

Hey All,

I visited my LBS and am going to have a quote in the morning for a new Yeti 575, with a black anodized frame. I’m buying the bike based on the Enduro kit, but with a few swaps.

The basic Enduro kit looks like this:

Fork: Fox Vanilla 130 RL
    Headset: Cane Creek S-2
    Crankset: Race Face Evolve XC
    B. Bracket: Integrated w/crank
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT FD-761
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
    Shifters: SRAM X.9
    Cassette: SRAM PG 950 11-34
    Chain: Shimano HG-53
    Hubs: Yeti ARC / Shimano Deore
    Rims: Mavic XM317 Disc
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 5
    Tires: Maxxis Minion 2.35” - ST
    Handlebar: Race Face Next Carbon
    Stem: Race Face Evolve XC
    Grips: Yeti Hardcore
    Saddle: Yeti/WTB Rocket V cro-mo
    Seatpost: Race Face Evolve XC 27.2

These are the intended swaps:

Fork: Fox Float 130 RLC instead of the Fox Vanilla 130 RL
    Crankset: Race Face Dues XC instead of the Race Face Evolve XC
    Chain: Shimano HG-93 instead of the HG-53
    Seatpost: Thomson instead of the Race Face Evolve XC
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal 2.1's instead of Maxxis Minion 2.35" – ST's

I forgot. I'm also adding this one upgrade:
    Carbon swingarm

We also talked about Mavic Crossrides instead of the XM 317's, but the shop said that they're about the same cost to me, wasn't pushing one over the other, and I don't have enough experience to have an opinion on the difference.

I’m really looking forward to this ride!

Do any of you have any suggestions or comments about this setup?

Thanks!

Joe.
    Last edited by jandras; 07-24-2006 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typos

mtbr member

what's the price

on this setup?

mtbr member
    i just got my enduro 575 a month ago and i too switched a few things out.
    got rid of the juicy fives for juicy sevens, but avid was out of the sevens so i got the carbons for no upcharge (that will never happen again)

i changed the vanilla rl out for the Talas RLC (which still hasn't arrived, man Fox is slow)

and finally i got rid of the minions and went with the Maxxis Cross Marks

the only thing i wish i would have changed that i didn't was the crank, don't get me wrong it works just fine, it's just too darn heavy

the only thing about your build that i would change is leave the race face evolve seat post, it has better adjustment than the thomson and it is lighter.

other than that it looks like you will have one pretty sweet bike.

by the way i changed out my brakes and the fork for only $180 more which got me out the door for $2580+ tax. get ready to spend a lot more time on the trails because you are going to love the hell out of it.

mtbr member

congrats!

Some people have upgraded the wheels on the Enduro (or said this will be there first upgrade).
    I second the Talas (or the trend these days is to go RS). I always considered myself a "set and forget" person but I find on the fly travel adjustments very usefull. Sure the majority of this board will say Pike or Revelation which I have no experience with.
    Goodluck
    GB

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jandras
    Hey All,

I visited my LBS and am going to have a quote in the morning for a new Yeti 575, with a black anodized frame. Im buying the bike based on the Enduro kit, but with a few swaps.

The basic Enduro kit looks like this:

Fork: Fox Vanilla 130 RL
    Headset: Cane Creek S-2
    Crankset: Race Face Evolve XC
    B. Bracket: Integrated w/crank
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT FD-761
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
    Shifters: SRAM X.9
    Cassette: SRAM PG 950 11-34
    Chain: Shimano HG-53
    Hubs: Yeti ARC / Shimano Deore
    Rims: Mavic XM317 Disc
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 5
    Tires: Maxxis Minion 2.35 - ST
    Handlebar: Race Face Next Carbon
    Stem: Race Face Evolve XC
    Grips: Yeti Hardcore
    Saddle: Yeti/WTB Rocket V cro-mo
    Seatpost: Race Face Evolve XC 27.2

These are the intended swaps:

Fork: Fox Float 130 RLC instead of the Fox Vanilla 130 RL
    Crankset: Race Face Dues XC instead of the Race Face Evolve XC
    Chain: Shimano HG-93 instead of the HG-53
    Seatpost: Thomson instead of the Race Face Evolve XC
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal 2.1's instead of Maxxis Minion 2.35" ST's

I forgot. I'm also adding this one upgrade:
    Carbon swingarm

We also talked about Mavic Crossrides instead of the XM 317's, but the shop said that they're about the same cost to me, wasn't pushing one over the other, and I don't have enough experience to have an opinion on the difference.

Im really looking forward to this ride!

Do any of you have any suggestions or comments about this setup?

Thanks!

Joe.
    If you have test ridden this setup and like it you should ignore my suggestions, I don't want to put any doubts in your mind.

For a fork i would go with a Float 32, I think a 140mm fork is perfect for this bike in trail bike mode. With a fork set at 130mm the bike has an XC feel to me, climbs great but a bit less stable on the downhills. With a fork set at 150mm the bike screams downhill and makes super steep tech sections a breeze but when climbing steep stuff the bike feels like it is in a wheelie and i am steering more by leaning than using the handlebars.

I have a carbon stay 575 and the rear end flexes noticeably. It doesn't bother me when landing jumps or bashing rock gardens but i do feel it in off camber turns and when climbing. I suspect an aluminum one will flex less.

Who is John Galt?
    Your upgrades all sound good,I got the Nevegals and really like them. Also on the seat post, while I like the stock one and am not having the trouble others have it is already scratched up from adjusting the seat after just a few rides. Thompson might be better. I got the Juicy 7s with the big rotors, awesome stoping power and they don't try to throw me off. A note on the Talas, the new one has only three settings, not the infinite adjustment of the 06 model. Go for it!
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tejas Mtb
    i just got my enduro 575 a month ago and i too switched a few things out. got rid of the juicy fives for juicy sevens, but avid was out of the sevens so i got the carbons for no upcharge (that will never happen again)
    Thanks Teja Mtb. I have demoed bikes with both Juicy 5's and Juicy 7's and couldn't tell the difference, but I didn't understand how to use the little red reach adjustment knob at the time.

The tech is encouraging me not to spend extra for the 7's, saying that I don't really need the adjustment because I have big hands, and noting that they're so exposed and fragile that he often has to replace the knob for his customers after light spills. What do you think?

Are there other differences between the 7's and the 5's beyond the reach adjustment knobs?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    I have a carbon stay 575 and the rear end flexes noticeably. It doesn't bother me when landing jumps or bashing rock gardens but i do feel it in off camber turns and when climbing. I suspect an aluminum one will flex less.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I'm confused on the carbon stay though. I have been told that the carbon stay is an upgrade that reduces weight and flex relative to aluminum.

I'm not sure I'm advanced enough to notice the difference, but it would certainly be a bummer if the extra cost worsened the ride. Hmmm.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Are there other differences between the 7's and the 5's beyond the reach adjustment knobs?
    No other differences. They are the same brakes, with the only difference being the pad adjustment knob. I have run Juicy 5s for a couple years now. Problem free, great power and good modulation.

Once or twice I wished I had gotten the 7s, but not often. One time I installed a new set of pads and the rotor was rubbing pretty bad since the brakes had adjusted to the worn out pads and I thought the pad adjustment would be nice to have, but I just did a quick rebleed and everything was fine again.

I love my Pike, but the Fox forks are nice as well. I like the RS stuff do to its increased tuning capabilities, but it also requires that you invest a bit of time up front to get things dialed in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How heavy are you? That and how advanced of a rider you are may dictate if you feel any flex at all. In this case, the difference in the carbon and Aluminum is purely weight and has little, if anything, to do with flex that can be perceived. The real flex has more to do with tubing of the rear triangle and bearings/pivot points. The 575 strikes a very effective balance between weight and flex. You will not notice the flex difference between the two frames but you will notice the .5 lb of weight difference in the rear triangle between the carbon and aluminum (5.75 Vs. 6.2). The 575 can be made stiffer with another lb of material but many riders prefer the light weight of this frame.

That's my opinion after a lot of riding but an engineer may disagree. He would be wrong though

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    How heavy are you? That and how advanced of a rider you are may dictate if you feel any flex at all.
    Flyer, I'm 6-1, 200 lbs and am a beginner. Relative to my more experienced and better conditioned friends, I struggle with the climbing, but seem to be the leader on the downs.

I can probably use the 1/2 lb reduction... (smile), not to mention a few off of my own carriage. sigh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here's a marked up shot of Yeti's Enduro photo with my intended swaps noted:

mtbr member
    i think the juicy brakes are great, the only thing that sets them back is the dreaded turkey goblle shudder. some have it some don't. the fives had the bigger rotors (185 i think) and stopped well, they just didn't feel as fluid as the sevens. really the only difference between the two is the adjustment knob. my carbons have a little more of a low profile knob than the sevens did and i have taken a number if spills with no problems so far and they look really cool with the carbon levers. the wheelset is low end, but im going to run them into the ground while i save for something really nice and probably with a thru ront axle hub. build it however you want and just enjoy it, it's one hell of a bike and most def the best purchase i have made to date.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Flyer, I'm 6-1, 200 lbs and am a beginner. Relative to my more experienced and better conditioned friends, I struggle with the climbing, but seem to be the leader on the downs.

I can probably use the 1/2 lb reduction... (smile), not to mention a few off of my own carriage. sigh.

The 575 is a great climber as long as you dial in the suspension settings. It is known for that so no worries there- it will only make you a more confident climber once you get used to its geometry.

In my opinion, you will not notice the flex difference between the two frames. You will not notice any flex at all till you start taking off-camber turns at speed and even then, the flex will not bother you unless you ride a very laterally stiff frame back-to-back with the 575. I ride a stiffer frame now (Ventana X-5) and I still don't think the relative flex of the 575 would bother me till I got to a race level though I will admit that lateral stiffness makes for a more secure feeling in certain situations and for a slightly quicker accelerating bike given similar suspension design/travel.

However, the 575 has many positive attributes like stability and climbing prowess along with light weight that many riders love. If you are set on the 575, you will not regret it. There are other great frames out there but even regardless of the cost and especially due to the cost, it's a frame that is hard to beat. If you want a stiffer frame, you will pay more and have to deal with a bit more weight.

EDR
    If I would emphasize one important upgrade that I agree with...

...it would be:

If going with a Fox fork (either TALAS or Van) be sure to get an RLC version like you noted. The "C" makes a nice fork into a terrific fork. Can't go wrong with either coil or air, it just depends on what you like and how you ride. I think the '07 Vanillas are 140mm (I know the TALAS is)....

Get the bike! You'll love it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

A couple of suggestions:

I would add a Hope seat clamp and look hard at the wheelset. I had a set of Hope Bulb/819's (with Nevagal UST's) built and am very happy. The 317's never failed, but I can really feel the difference in the wheelset.

Good luck and congratulations!

Positive Vibe Technician

my build

here's what i did with my enduro build:

thompson stem
    thompson post
    nevagal's (2.35 front / 2.1 back)
    Stan's
    cross max enduro wheelset
    salsa skewers
    salsa seat post clamp (no quick release)
    and stiffer spring in the vanilla
    and have a max flite gel seat on order
    If you are gunna be dumb, ya gotta be tough

mtbr member
    i def wanna get rid of the quick release seat post clamp, it is worthless and i have no need for adjustability on my seat.

Positive Vibe Technician

gravity dropper

I would love to try a gravity dropper - but at 5' 10 1/2", I got a medium for tech attributes and currently run a thompson layed-bak post. I wish I could get the dropper with a layed bak post.

I quess i just want to give it a shot

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You can upgrade to Ti rails on the saddle for very little. A wheelset would be one of your best upgrades. That deore rear hub is a bit hefty. I just got my 575 today! Man what a killer machine. I went with FSA XC-300's and got the '07 fork & shock to boot.

Positive Vibe Technician

congrats

Quote Originally Posted by C.H.
    I just got my 575 today! Man what a killer machine. I went with FSA XC-300's and got the '07 fork & shock to boot.

congrats on the new ride.....post pics

mtbr member
    ?? try lowering your seat next time your on a techincal section or steep downhill.

imo, it's nice to be able to adjust the seat height relatively easy to enjoy and make riding up/down/tech more easy.

Who is John Galt?
    It's also good to lower it when you haul it on the roof.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member

Questions

What kind of riding do you do, and what do you want to get better at?
    Where do you ride? Do you want to concentrate on technical, rocky climbs with lots of switchbacks...or do you want something better suited for raging downhill?

The basic carbon frame is great! The upgrades are great, too...although I like the Vanilla fork. It's plush, inexpensive and pretty light.

Have fun....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeboater
    What kind of riding do you do, and what do you want to get better at?
    Where do you ride? Do you want to concentrate on technical, rocky climbs with lots of switchbacks...or do you want something better suited for raging downhill?

The basic carbon frame is great! The upgrades are great, too...although I like the Vanilla fork. It's plush, inexpensive and pretty light.

Have fun....
    Hi Joe,

I live in Laguna Beach and usually ride right here in town, and also elsewhere around Orange County, CA. I like the climbing, but like the downhill even more. I'm learning, and generally need to improve all around. I'm thinking of the 575 as a good compromise - fun on the downhills, but still a reasonably good climber.

I'm off to Durango on Friday. That will be a bit different, I imagine!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast