mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New '14 Comp Build Specs - What do you think?

Iíve always wanted a Yeti for various reasons. The brand, unique bikes, connection with their customer, etc. I respect that on quite a few levels.

But my frugal sense always wins me over and I end up with a great value bike like the í13 Giant Reign 1 that I have now (great bike, full Shimano SLX, Fox CTD Evo, and was $2800 - hard to beat that).

But now for í14 they have the SB95 and SB75 in a Comp build with an MSRP of $2900. Thatís smart of them. Iíve never been able to justify (to myself) nearly 4 or 5k for something with pedals ďjust because itís a YetiĒ. Iíll almost always go with a stronger value (in my opinion).

Except now, where it looks like the Comp tightens that gap.

The SB95 Comp is nearly a full pound heavier (no carbon rear) and has a lot of SRAM components, but suspension is still quite acceptable to me (Fox CTD Evo). And the SB75 is in the same boat component-wise, but not the added-pound-handicap. (Iím talking about both because they are both on my radar).

But with the SB75, as I look at their spec chart comparing the Comp and Enduro, the ONLY difference I see is suspension with (Enduro) or without (Comp) Kashima for a difference of $900. There has to be more differences right? Iím going to email them and ask to make sure. For me, the choice is an obvious one if it is simply a matter of a coating on the suspension.

Primarily my question is though - Iím not a master of components - I do know that I prefer Shimano but can certainly live with SRAM in most respects. Are these Comp builds really that inferior? These are $900 cheaper - thatís a ton!

Iím curious to see what some Yeti experts think of the new Comp builds. I see a SRAM S1000 crank I've never heard of, X7 / X9 shifters, terrible Avid brakes, but those things can be swapped out eventually.

Your input would be great.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I can't really comment on some of the other component choices, sorry. I had to have XT brakes and when I saw the price of them alone the Race build became something of a no-brainer for me and I didn't research further.

When my wife was shopping for her bike (she got a SC Solo/5010) I seem to recall 650b bikes being more expensive than their 29er counterparts. Assuming I'm recalling that correctly, kudos to Yeti for introducing identically priced 650b and 29er models.

I had to go look for myself, but you're right, it sure looks like the $900 difference is Fox 34 Evo vs. Fox 34 CTD kashima. Email Yeti and see what they say. Given how often people swap our forks or take advantage of after market tuning and or damper kits it seems like a no brainer to me (get the cheaper one).

I know you didn't ask about SB75 vs. SB95, but I though I'd throw out that the most obvious difference to me is the bottom bracket height when both are ran with a 140 mm fork. Half inch higher on the SB95. Between that and the 29er wheels the SB95 strikes me as more of the bike for pointing the front and rolling through rock gardens. The SB75 more of a bike that you'd hop, wheelie or muscle through technical features. But I haven't ridden a SB75. My wife wants to fly to a demo and try one sometime so you'll be sure I'm going too.

Another thing I notice is the number one gets if you subtract reach from effective top tube measurement. 6.8/7.2 on the SB95 at 120 and 140 front travel respectively and 6.4 on the SB75 at 140.

That tells me the SB75 is going to have a more forward, knees over the pedals feel compared to the SB95.

One of the selling points for me on the SB95 was that it had the most rearward feeling pedaling position of any 29er I tried, save for the Trance X. As you know from our previous exchanges this is important to me since I get some relief from knee pain by being further back.

Sorry for steering off the specific questions of your post. Hope this helps a bit.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    The Evo and Kashima stuff, fork wise, has much more different than just the coating. The damper assembly is completely different.

The rear shocks differ significantly in the damper too, not just the coating. "Kashima CTD w/trail adjust" vs "Evo". The rear shock MSRP difference is at least 100$, but the Evo isn't really sold aftermarket so it's hard to be precise.

The Enduro also has a carbon rear triangle. That adds cost (couple hundred at least, maybe 500$) and removes weight in a good way, and is also a bit more roomy for phatter tyers.

I don't think the wheel spec is the same for the Comp as the others either, but I could be wrong. It's certainly not the same wheelset as came on my '12 MY 95a.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    The Evo and Kashima stuff, fork wise, has much more different than just the coating. The damper assembly is completely different.

The rear shocks differ significantly in the damper too, not just the coating. "Kashima CTD w/trail adjust" vs "Evo". The rear shock MSRP difference is at least 100$, but the Evo isn't really sold aftermarket so it's hard to be precise.

The Enduro also has a carbon rear triangle. That adds cost (couple hundred at least, maybe 500$) and removes weight in a good way, and is also a bit more roomy for phatter tyers.

I don't think the wheel spec is the same for the Comp as the others either, but I could be wrong. It's certainly not the same wheelset as came on my '12 MY 95a.
    I'm ok with the suspension differences none-the-less. I also race motorcycles, and have enough expensive hobbies, and I'm still just trying to come to grips with spending so much money on something that doesn't even have a motor. But every year I get more and more into bikes, and want to pull the trigger on a high-er end machine.

And yes, the Enduro SB95 has the carbon rear triangle, I touched on that a bit in my initial post (whereas the Comp has alloy), but I do not think the SB75 does have the carbon triangle in any fashion (Enduro or higher). That's kinda what I was getting at, as I'm leaning more toward the 75 as opposed to the 95 (but won't know until I demo each).

No matter what, buying in at 2900 then swapping out parts here and there over the season might be the more fun way to do it anyway. I'd ditch some stuff immediately and probably be ok with most of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    I can't really comment on some of the other component choices, sorry. I had to have XT brakes and when I saw the price of them alone the Race build became something of a no-brainer for me and I didn't research further.

When my wife was shopping for her bike (she got a SC Solo/5010) I seem to recall 650b bikes being more expensive than their 29er counterparts. Assuming I'm recalling that correctly, kudos to Yeti for introducing identically priced 650b and 29er models.

I had to go look for myself, but you're right, it sure looks like the $900 difference is Fox 34 Evo vs. Fox 34 CTD kashima. Email Yeti and see what they say. Given how often people swap our forks or take advantage of after market tuning and or damper kits it seems like a no brainer to me (get the cheaper one).

I know you didn't ask about SB75 vs. SB95, but I though I'd throw out that the most obvious difference to me is the bottom bracket height when both are ran with a 140 mm fork. Half inch higher on the SB95. Between that and the 29er wheels the SB95 strikes me as more of the bike for pointing the front and rolling through rock gardens. The SB75 more of a bike that you'd hop, wheelie or muscle through technical features. But I haven't ridden a SB75. My wife wants to fly to a demo and try one sometime so you'll be sure I'm going too.

Another thing I notice is the number one gets if you subtract reach from effective top tube measurement. 6.8/7.2 on the SB95 at 120 and 140 front travel respectively and 6.4 on the SB75 at 140.

That tells me the SB75 is going to have a more forward, knees over the pedals feel compared to the SB95.

One of the selling points for me on the SB95 was that it had the most rearward feeling pedaling position of any 29er I tried, save for the Trance X. As you know from our previous exchanges this is important to me since I get some relief from knee pain by being further back.

Sorry for steering off the specific questions of your post. Hope this helps a bit.
    Yeah I'm equally considering both the 75 and 95 and plan to demo both asap. There is a good loop I should be able to take both on that has enough rocks, climbs and ridiculous drops to give me a good impression.

(but if I was on the ball and put two-and-two together when Jenson released that 20% coupon last week, I probably would have just pulled the trigger on one - so bummed I spaced out on that).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    A build kit can definitely save you money compared to building it yourself. But wheels are expensive, so make sure you're ok with the ones they spec or you'll spend everything you saved and more upgrading them down the road. The DT Swiss wheels in the comp kit are 19mm internal which is probably fine but the trend is towards wider rims for AM riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by barcolounger View Post
    A build kit can definitely save you money compared to building it yourself. But wheels are expensive, so make sure you're ok with the ones they spec or you'll spend everything you saved and more upgrading them down the road. The DT Swiss wheels in the comp kit are 19mm internal which is probably fine but the trend is towards wider rims for AM riding.
    The wheels appear to be the same in the Comp and Enduro, and I really don't know enough about wheels in general to have an opinion either way. If I do anything, I would seek out a good upgrade option and build them from scratch myself (I've done motorcycle wheels so I'm sure i can handle mtb wheels). Black wheels / turquoise spokes sounds fun to build.

But yes, thanks for that and I did think of that too. I will research this much more heavily before pulling the trigger.

mtbr member
    As you stated the some items can be swapped fairly easy, these Comp versions are fairly new, as they have never been offered in the past. So it would be interesting to see what Yeti says about this package deal.

Depending on where you purchase the bike you may be able to swap parts out at a much lower cost if you go through the bike shop. See what you bike shop may be willing to do, and you might be able to get a ready to ride bike with a few replaced components the way you like, and save some money.

On the Wifes ASR-5 the brakes were swapped right away with a set of Maguras at the shop at almost no cost. So you may be able to talk with the dealer. I think it is a hell of a deal at 2900, and I would think this is the way to get people onto a quality frame (Yeti) without breaking the bank.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A sales rep at Yeti got back to me today regarding the differences between the SB95 Comp VS Enduro and the same for the SB 75.

As mentioned the SB 95 Enduro gets a carbon rear triangle, but here is what he had to say:

"There is no difference other than the Kashima coating on the sb75. For the sb95 the Comp model frame will have a alloy rear triangle. The other models will have a carbon rear triangle. Let me know if you have any more questions!"

I'm very surprised that it is nothing more than a coating on the suspension that separates the Comp from the Enduro on the 75. No way would I go Enduro if the differences are that minor.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Life was a lot easier on me, making the choice in '12, it boiled down to

XT build kit
    or
    XTR build kit

Much as I have loved SRAM drivetrains I don't love their brakes.

This new fangled over-optioned world is likely to drive one crazy.

Then again, options are good, usually.

mtbr member
    Here's my question--

The original SB95 Enduro came with an aluminum rear triangle and kashmina.
    The newest one comes with the same suspension, but a carbon triangle.

Riddle me this---

So, the '14 SB95 Enduro now comes with a carbon triangle and the exact same spec as a '12, but is the exact same price????

A '14 is $1000 less with no carbon, no Kashmina, and from what it seems not as good suspension.

It seems that the carbon triangle has no value?!?!?!

I'm confused!!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm considering the Comp build over the Enduro for the money savings myself. Keep in mind the Kashima coated fork and shock also have different internals than the EVOs. The fork specifically has Fox's "FIT" damper. I'm not totally aware of the various nuances of the FIT vs EVO but i do know the FIT damper has two separate oil baths--one to lubricate the stanchion tubes and another for suspension duties. Basically, a more complex/heavy/expensive design which I question is that much better than a standard EVO.