mtbr member
    Oct 2006

new 100mm fork for an ARC?

Hello,

I have an older ARC. I'm not certain of the year, maybe 1999. The frame was one of the
    last to be produced in Durango (the first time). I'm considering a new fork. What was the
    recommend fork travel for this bike? Yeti's site recommends a 100mm fork for the current
    ARC but I'm not certain if geometry has changed in 7 years. I'm running a Superfly Z.2.
    I've never been happy with the performance of the fork. Would a current 80mm fork be
    much the same as the Superfly? Could I run a 100mm fork?

thanks
    MIke

Ride with me in NZ
    Nov 2005
    An ARC of that era would best be suited to an 80mm fork such as a Manitou Skareb (or an R7 now) or Rock Shox SID but if you can afford it, I would go with the new Fox 80mm race fork. Dunno what it's called off the top of my head. All these forks can be had in white which looks great with the white logos on the turquoise frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the reply.

I'd have no problem paying for a Fox if I new it would make a significant difference.
    I'm concerned that I'm just expecting too much from a short travel fork. In the case of my
    Superfly I could tune it for small bumps or large bumps but not both. Maybe I should just
    put the money into a new FS bike.

Mike

Ride with me in NZ
    Nov 2005
    I saw an Aussie guy at the Worlds last month with the new Fox fork on his ARC. It seemed to work very well as he had no trouble getting through the slippery section that I'd just created by drooling all over the track.

Having said that, I used a Manitou Minute 2 130mm travel on my ARC while I was waiting for my 575 to turn up and found that it made it a very different bike. I had been (still am) running a Manitou Skareb Super on it. I found myself tackling all sorts of steep drops that I wouldn't normally do on the ARC.

Who is John Galt?
    My Fisher hardtail has a Manitou Black Super Air in 80 mm. I've taken it everywhere the 575s been and it's done well. This one locks out which is useful on the climbs (as long as you remember to unlock when you hit the rough stuff.) My experience was there aren't a lot of 80mm forks to choose from. I see Blacks on sale pretty cheap these days.
    What, me hurry?