mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Nervous about my ASR5 purchase.

Hi, back in November I purchased a 2011 ASR5 alloy enduro build from an online dealer(no Yeti dealers in my area). I have yet to ride the bike. Its been down in my basement this whole time.

Anyways, I just found these posts about the carbon rear triangle cracking on these. While I'm no downhiller , I do weigh approx 225- 230 pounds. I would consider myself a smooth but aggressive rider going through or over stuff rather than around it or whatever. Although I don't generally do jumps or drops over say 2-3 feet high.

I'm coming of a Diamond Back Mission with 6 inches, which if anything is a beefy tuff-built frame. I never gave it's build quality a passing thought.

The main reason I switched to the ASR5 is I wanted a bike that climbed better but would still hold its own on the downhill sections. It seems the places I ride- i'm either climbing or descending. Keep in mind they are not crazy long downhills though. These aren't whistler type trails! Also, being in my mid 40's my riding seems to get a bit tamer with each passing year.

Bottom line is I think I'm going to be nervous about the frame breaking when I start riding again come March. I don't want to be thinking of that when I'm bombing through a rock garden, and I don't want to have to baby the bike either.

Can I please hear from other ASR5 owners letting me know what type of riding you do on it and what your weight is? I'm hoping I hear that is can take more than strictly XC type of riding.

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbike View Post
    Hi, back in November I purchased a 2011 ASR5 alloy enduro build from an online dealer(no Yeti dealers in my area). I have yet to ride the bike. Its been down in my basement this whole time.

Anyways, I just found these posts about the carbon rear triangle cracking on these. While I'm no downhiller , I do weigh approx 225- 230 pounds. I would consider myself a smooth but aggressive rider going through or over stuff rather than around it or whatever. Although I don't generally do jumps or drops over say 2-3 feet high.

I'm coming of a Diamond Back Mission with 6 inches, which if anything is a beefy tuff-built frame. I never gave it's build quality a passing thought.

The main reason I switched to the ASR5 is I wanted a bike that climbed better but would still hold its own on the downhill sections. It seems the places I ride- i'm either climbing or descending. Keep in mind they are not crazy long downhills though. These aren't whistler type trails! Also, being in my mid 40's my riding seems to get a bit tamer with each passing year.

Bottom line is I think I'm going to be nervous about the frame breaking when I start riding again come March. I don't want to be thinking of that when I'm bombing through a rock garden, and I don't want to have to baby the bike either.

Can I please hear from other ASR5 owners letting me know what type of riding you do on it and what your weight is? I'm hoping I hear that is can take more than strictly XC type of riding.

thanks in advance
    Dragbike,
    That's like never going outside for the fear of being hit by a bus. That happens too right?

The swingarm issues were early, as in 2010 and earlier. I have a 2011 Asr5c, weigh 215 w/ gear, and ride like a drunk bull.
    Yeti has an truly awesome warranty policy on that frame and swingarm; and they stand behind their stuff. Sounds like you have the revised swingarm based on your model year.
    Get riding that thing, you'll love it!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I agree with bpnic. I bought a 2011 ASR5 last spring and have rode it hard through all sorts of terrain. I weigh 210 without gear and the bike performs like a champ. I wouldnt worry about a thing!

Enjoy your bike!

mtbr member
    I too am nervous regarding my Yeti asr5c purchase. I just bought the bike last week from an online dealer and have since been reading all these negative reviews. I'm coming from a Specialized Stumpjumper elite and never had any problems with it, but have always liked Yeti and wanted to give the asr5c a try. How do I know if my bike is a 2010 or 2011? Are there any differences between the two? My bike is the race XT with 140mm fork. Any reassurance would be great! Thanks

mtbr member
    @06 Dodge-

Go back and read all the glowing reviews from happy Asr5 owners for your assurance. Plenty abound....

As far as the model year, I doubt your dealer has/had 2010's left in stock, but they'd be the people to ask.

My advice: Ride the Hell out of it, and take comfort that your bike is backed by who it's backed by.
    Last edited by bpnic; 02-20-2012 at 08:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ride the sh** out of it and don't worry. I have a 09 ASR-C and it
    is still going strong even with the old swingarm. Never had a problem
    with it, and it isn't nearly as strong as the new bikes are. Even if you
    do break it Yeti will take care of you.

Best, John

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If you're really worried about it, and if you want to improve your climbing, you could look into this:
    Amazon.com: The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance (9781594860898): Loren Cordain, Joe Friel: Books

No upgrade to my bike has made a bigger difference to my riding.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    If you're really worried about it, and if you want to improve your climbing, you could look into this:
    Amazon.com: The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance (9781594860898): Loren Cordain, Joe Friel: Books

No upgrade to my bike has made a bigger difference to my riding.

Last edited by bpnic; 02-20-2012 at 08:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ride the snot out of it! Do preventative maintenance checks before and after you ride as you should anyways. If a crack develops Yeti will take care of you. The longer you wait to ride it the further away from the warranty you get.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    Dude, did you read any post prior to yours? He ain't sweating the climbing part....
    I read it. Perhaps I just read more carefully than you do?

The main reason I switched to the ASR5 is I wanted a bike that climbed better
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    I read it. Perhaps I just read more carefully than you do?

Mmmm, sure.

mtbr member
    I have been on a 2010 Carbon 5 for 1.5 years, weigh 200 lbs and ride it like it is made of steel. I never even think twice about breaking it. 5 of my riding partners and my wife have the same bike, heck, there are 2 Alloy 5's and one Carbon 5 in my garage. Not one single issue with any of our bikes.

I want a 29" bike but after demo'ing about everything I can find (yes, including the SB95) nothing seems to touch my ASR5 so it keeps hanging around.

mtbr member
    Well you guys have definitely made me feel better about my purchase! I'm glad I got a 2011 so I have the 5 year warranty instead of the 2 year. Has anyone purchased a frameskin kit for the asr5c? I'm thinking about getting one, but want to know if they are worth it before I spend $70.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06DODGECTD View Post
    Well you guys have definitely made me feel better about my purchase! I'm glad I got a 2011 so I have the 5 year warranty instead of the 2 year. Has anyone purchased a frameskin kit for the asr5c? I'm thinking about getting one, but want to know if they are worth it before I spend $70.
    I have a Frameskin kit on my Carbon 5. After a little while, sand, dirt and debris finds it's way into the edges of the tape and it starts lifting at the edges. At that point, it either looks tacky or you need to replace it.

I pulled all my off last month besides the down-tube piece and likely will not replace it with the same product since you can find helicopter/3m tape a lot cheaper. If 70 bucks is not a lot of cash for you and you want a product that is pre-cut and easy to use, I say go for it.

MC MasterShake
    I've been riding the piss out of mine for about a year now. I too was nervous at 1st but after the beating it's taken so far I'm pretty impressed with how strong it has been. I'm not talking large jumps/drops or anything like that. I'm talking hammering through chunky stuff, big rock rollers, slamming into boulders so I can climb up them, etc.

I figure if I do break it I have a warranty on it and Yeti has a good reputation. So I wouldn't be too concerned.

mtbr member
    " I have a 2011 Asr5c, weigh 215 w/ gear, and ride like a drunk bull." Except for the part where I weigh 20 pounds more than bpnic, he kind of said it all. I've taken it to Moab, Fruita and everywhere along the front range here in CO and haven't had an issue, mine is about 10 months old already. I've been over the bars a half dozen times, including slickrock so it's not like I have babying it, though I should learn to ride better.

Loved it so much my wife got an early x-mas present of one of the 11 demos Go-Ride was selling.

Now we are a happy couple:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06DODGECTD View Post

I wanted to, but his shipping was super high to the States if I recall correctly, so I bought this instead and have been super happy.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

mtbr member
    @Bailey44

Thanks for the heads up regarding the frameskin kit. I'm going to pass on that deal as I don't want to spend that much money just to take it off a year later.

@Woodyak

Your riding is a lot more brutal than mine, so my flowing single track shouldn't be an issue. I do hope to make it out to Colorado this year and that's another reason I bought the asr5c. Currently riding a Scott Scale 29er and wanted something a little more plush.

@BobGolden

Awesome bikes! Mine is suppose to arrive tomorrow, I can't wait! I sure wish my wife enjoyed riding half as much as I do.

@bpnic

Is the 3M Scotchgard easy to work with? Did you wrap your whole bike, or did you just put it on the most vulnerable areas? How long does the 3M last before it looks dirty?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for all the positive feedback guys I appreciate it. I also exchanged emails with Nate at Yeti. He talked about all the test-riding that goes into their bikes during the R&D phase and assured me that in the unlikely event something does happen- Yeti will take care of me.

Now I just wish spring would get here so I can start hitting the trails and lose my "winter insulation".

I included a pic of my new bike, with a few changes I made to it. Not the best photo but you get the idea

Happy Trails!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nervous about my ASR5 purchase.-dscf3019.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the positive feedback guys I appreciate it. I also exchanged emails with Nate at Yeti. He talked about all the test-riding that goes into their bikes during the R&D phase and assured me that in the unlikely event something does happen- Yeti will take care of me.

Now I just wish spring would get here so I can start hitting the trails and lose my "winter insulation".

I included a pic of my new bike, with a few changes I made to it. Not the best photo but you get the idea

Happy Trails!
    You will love it.

Here's mine. The black one is kind of heavy, if I can get 30 grams off of it, it will be in the upper 22lb range!

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    I bought a 2011 ASR5C back in Dec. on the very first ride I had the rear deraileur end up in my rear wheel which in turn ripped it off along with the hanger and a piece of the swing arm. To this day I am still baffled as to how my deraileur ended up in my wheel. Anyway. Yeti was great and replaced my rear triangle. They said that the it was a design flaw in the hanger. The hanger was to strong for the drop and instead of the hanger failing the swingarm would break. It was a known failure. Talk about being bummed. Since then I have ridden this bike harder than I have ever ridden any bike if it's size. I come from downhill roots so I ride hard and fast. I have not had any problems since then and don't ever think about it failing. Bikes are made to be ridden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

New question here. A new 2012 frame or a new 2010 with 5y warranty?

My LBS (which is the only official distibuter of Yeti here) offers me two asr 5 frames- a new 2012 or an almost new (ridden just once) 2010 model for only 200$ less. The 2010 has 5 years warranty and RP23 and the 2012 will have only 2 years warranty (the new policy) and RP2. I don't mind the rear shock too much but is the warranty a major issue here (due to the rear traingle reputation)?
    Is there a difference between the '10 and the '12 rear traingle (strength and/or protection)?
    Happy to hear you thoughts!
    Last edited by epiclimber; 02-25-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: question mark