mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Need suggestions for a bashguard for 575

Hello all,

I've really been enjoying my new 575, but I've been having problems clearing logs I used to ace on my old Bontrager Race. I don't have finesse to begin with, but I took pride in the fact I could clear every log I came across on my local trails.

With my 575, I've really been crushing the big ring on some logs.

I searched the forum for "bashguard" threads, but I got confused to what I should get.

I have an 05 Yeti 575 Enduro, with the Truvativ crankset. I don't need to keep my 3rd ring; I rarely use it at Patapsco State Park, and when I do it's usually for 30 seconds or less.

Please provide suggestions and links, if possible.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperClyde
    Hello all,

I've really been enjoying my new 575, but I've been having problems clearing logs I used to ace on my old Bontrager Race. I don't have finesse to begin with, but I took pride in the fact I could clear every log I came across on my local trails.

With my 575, I've really been crushing the big ring on some logs.

I searched the forum for "bashguard" threads, but I got confused to what I should get.

I have an 05 Yeti 575 Enduro, with the Truvativ crankset. I don't need to keep my 3rd ring; I rarely use it at Patapsco State Park, and when I do it's usually for 30 seconds or less.

Please provide suggestions and links, if possible.

Thanks!
    Truevative and Raceface both make a very simple and stout bash rings ( have used both) Curently run the raceface because it is the lightest I have found but still super tough . Simply replaces your big ring. You can also dial out the front derailer (so it wont shift into the bashring )and shorten your chain to lessen chain slap/crisper shifting. You can find them on the Hotlinks page under their brand names or most online stores ( Jensonusa or pricepoint or most of the retailers with adds on mtbr) sell them. From what you have stated I dont think you will miss your big ring, I dont. Good luck

Fall Branch Felon
    Check out the one Salsa makes................It looks sweet, doesn't cost alot, and has sharp teeth for biting into downed trees to crawl over them.

Alot of times, I just suggest keeping the big ring, and letting it take the abuse. If you're not using it anyways, and if it's not getting bent up, then why not save your money and let it serve as a bash guard. What better is there to bite into a log to tractor over it...........

That's just my 2 cents
    "That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger"

Haro WERX XCR
    Ibis Alibi
    Interloc Scandium Elite

mtbr member
    I've got a raceface bash ring on my 575. Light, tough, sexy.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I like my e.thirteen bash guard. the thick lexon is nice when I hit logs or rocks it just slides across it which keeps my momentum up to get my rear tire over. I have a truvativ alumminum guard on my other bike and it doesn't perform as well in my oppinion.