mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Need a quick photo favor from a silver SB95 owner

I'm hoping a friendly SB95 owner out there somewhere might be willing to spend 2 minutes to help me out. Basically I just need a good photo of the seatstay decal on a silver SB95 with the turquoise accents.

Why? Because I am changing the color of the accents on my own SB95 and I need the photo to create a template for an ink jet printed decal.

If I had thought ahead, I would have taken a photo of my own bike. But regretfully I've already covered up the chainstay decals in an irreversible way.

Black SB95's need not apply -- the decal/frame contrast isn't sufficient for this purpose.

The photo needs to be decent but not perfect. Any point and shoot >4Mpix with a macro mode will do. Photo should be square to the decal (not angled in from left/right or above/below), should be in focus, and with reasonable lighting. The decal should take up most the frame of the photo. Even better if you can rotate the camera slightly so the lettering is relatively horizontal in the photo.

I've searched online and looked at the SB95 build thread, but I can't find a close-up that isn't badly angled. The full bike photos don't have enough resolution once you crop down to the decal.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Assuming you're looking for something like this? Uploaded to Photobucket so the res may have changed. Original, cropped photo is 2597x1035. If you need the original, PM me a ftp site or ??? I also have a NEF version.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Perfect! That's exactly what I needed. I was able to get the full resolution version off Photobucket, so no need to PM or email another version. Thanks for helping.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    InertiaMan, are you getting stickers made?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't know what I'm doing, other than messing up my frame!

I wanted to change the turquoise highlights to black. Seemed manageable at first, but at this point I'm about to give up. I used the photo above to create a silver decal for the seatstays. Unfortunately, I'm a total newbie at decals, and didn't realize that you can't print opaque colors onto transparent "paper" with any normal printer. Essentially the printer pigments are relying on a white background to get their opacity and color. So my decal, which looked perfect in the hand, simply disappeared when applied to a dark background.

Unfortunately, I'm already committed. My first action was to carefully mask off the frame and paint over the turquoise with black spray paint. That actually worked fairly well, albeit tedious to do. On the top tube, I was able to mask out the YETI letters, since they are straight lines and a reasonable size. So the top tube looks fairly good: still has silver letters but the turquoise is all black.

On the chainstays, I painted over the entire decal (including the SB95 lettering). I figured I would apply a silver decal on top of it. But as I mentioned above, that's not possible. At least not possible without getting custom decals, which costs far more than I'm willing to pay, not to mention the long wait.

So I have a nice black triangle on the chainstays now. Looks like an un-named Yeti prototype bike.

I can get silver 1/2" letters and stick them on, but I think that will look even cheesier than no letters at all.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    At the risk of asking a stupid question, you shoot an email or call Yeti and ask if they have any black decal sets to sell to you?

I'm pretty sure their black-on-black frames use them. Maybe. ;^)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The first thing I did was call Yeti. They weren't helpful. The person I talked to claimed that the accent colors were directly painted and no decals were available. I've seen comments on mtbr from Yeti people mentioning decals which contradict what I was told. I'm pretty certain they are decals.

The decals on the black frames are grey, so they will contrast (barely) with the black. I wasn't sure how they would look on the silver SB95. And the point was moot if I couldn't get decals from Yeti.

The "YETI" top tube decal on the turquoise SB66 is black, and would have worked well in theory. The first challenge is getting the decal from Yeti; the second challenge is getting that decal *perfectly* aligned so that all the turquoise is covered when applying it to an SB95. That second challenge would be difficult, given that the decal wraps all the way around an arcing top tube.

I'll shoot a photo of mine when I can find my camera. It looks reasonable. I wrapped it in 3M film to avoid the inevitable chipping that occurs with ghetto spray paint jobs.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just bring the image to any sign shop. They can cut vinyl decals in minutes and it will probably cost under $20

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SAthirtythree View Post
    Just bring the image to any sign shop. They can cut vinyl decals in minutes and it will probably cost under $20
    Have you actually done this for similar decal work? The reason I ask is that I tried this avenue briefly. I called around a bit locally, and couldn't find a shop with any reasonable minimum amount. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong type of shops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    This guy will do custom orders:Custom Orders Collection - Slik Graphics

I have zero idea of cost and process to get a custom order through the site but can tell you the quality of the following stickers I ordered from them was top notch.

Yeti Edition Decal Kit for Fox Forks - Slik Graphics

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I also have Slik Graphics decals on my fork and agree that they are top notch stuff.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Have you actually done this for similar decal work? The reason I ask is that I tried this avenue briefly. I called around a bit locally, and couldn't find a shop with any reasonable minimum amount. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong type of shops.
    Did you try FedEx Kinkos? Would think they would be able to do this.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

AOK
    mtbr member

Need a quick photo favor from a silver SB95 owner

MTBR member jncarpenter makes custom decals. You could PM him and maybe he could help you out.
    Disclaimer: I have never used any of his decals, just seen many threads on the subject over the years.