mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Need fork advice

I am running a Manipoo Nixon Platinum on my 575. I guess the fork is okay considering what I used to ride on prior to going to a dual suspension bike. I weigh 225 lbs and find the fork to be REALLY spongy. Apprently there is nothing that can be done to make the fork firmer except add more psi to the air chamber? I would ideally like to swap out and get a new fork, but not sure which direction to go. I am looking at an AM1 or some sort of Talas. Will I see a drastic performance upgrade over the Manipoo? If it is a fairly new fork and still functions well is this a waste? I really like the Zokes AM1 and used to ride on friends Vanilla RLC 130...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The All Mountain 1 (not the AM1) is a great fork from everything I hear about it. The other one is the new-for-2007 Fox Vanilla RLC (and the others too) which has 140mm travel. I'm not sure which one I will get but I'm leaning towards the Vanilla right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have ridden a Vanilla RLC 130 in the past and enjoyed it. The problem is justifying sinking in close $700 for a part which ostensibly still works on my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You should be able to get either one for under $500 new.

By the way, I have a Vanilla RLC used for maybe 10-15 rides this season. I ride a medium frame but I'm 6 ft tall so the steerer tube is a bit short (maybe around 7.75 inches or a bit more) for me. I also prefer a more straight riding position because of my back so I'm considering selling it to get more fork height. PM me if you're interested. If not, I have a buddy who may be but I'm now considering selling it even though I just bought the darn thing.

The fork on my ASR-SL is perfectly cut with enough spacers but the fork on my 575 is a bit low so I'm not riding it much and it bothers me so I'm just going to get a new one. Seriously though, it is is like a new fork in case you want to go with a Fox Vanilla RLC and I have the box and springs and star nut and manual and all that stuff.
    Last edited by Flyer; 05-29-2006 at 06:52 PM.