mtbr member

Need a few people for New Zealand Nov. 21 thru Dec. 3

Here's the skinny fellow Yeti peeps. Me and a buddy are booked and confirmed for a 13 day Mountain Biking trip on the South Island with H&I adventures November 21 thru December 3 2016. H&I has a few spots still open as this will be an epic trip if anyone wants to come along. Contact H&I through the website and talk to Catherine. Price for 2 Guides and all lodging as well as transportaion and some meals is $3,680.00
    There are many unique moments in this Itinerary with lots of cultural immersion and from what I hear the best natural riding eco systems on the planet.
    Airfare is still required.

At the very least check out the website as this is the company that does the Yeti International Tribe tours.

Mountain biking tour in New Zealand: Storm the South Island
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Wow that looks so fun. Don't have the cash or PTO right now but I'm sure you'll find people!

How come they have a Yeti video on the page? Are they doing a partnership or something?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    H&I are officialy sponsored by Yeti in regards to Bikes for all their mountain guides. They also have a deal with Fox and Evoc. I did a Scotland trip in July and it was A++++ in every aspect. Maybe next year you can make a trip as I plan on doing Slovenia and Ecuador at some point in 2017 and it would be sweet to have you along.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Which Scotland trip did you do? I did the Nepal Yeti trip with H+I and agree they are an excellent organization. Since then I've been eyeing the Scotland coast to coast trip in 2017 but some of the others are appealing as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueallah View Post
    Which Scotland trip did you do? I did the Nepal Yeti trip with H+I and agree they are an excellent organization. Since then I've been eyeing the Scotland coast to coast trip in 2017 but some of the others are appealing as well.
    Hello Blueallah, I did the Cairngorms trip because Coast 2 Coast was full at the time of my booking. I hear C2C is absolutely stunning and gives you all of Scotland wrapped into one trip. The Cairngorms has been stepped up with longer mileage days and some extra challenges and it was fantastic. I'll be doing C2C in the future though.

Word on the street is that NZ will be the best riding period so I'm super excited about this trip. If you can swing it come along ?
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hi skinnybex, thanks for all the infos on all your Yeti bikes you have been sharing.
    I am wondering which bike you will choose to use for this New Zealand trip.

I am planning to ride in Queenstown NZ next year.
    I currently own a SB5C and i am thinking of selling it away to get a SB6C.
    I have read so much about the SB6C and i want to try it.
    I can only keep one bike at a time.

mtbr member
    Hello SuperBike and thanks for saying hello.

I'll be taking the 5.5c to NZ as I feel it has the perfect mix of attributes to tackle anything I may encounter on the very diverse itinerary that H&I has planned. Part of my thinking on choosing the 5.5c is that it pedals much lighter and compact than what I've experienced in other Longish travel 29'ers.....it's less bulky and very nimble where my past memory on bikes like the E29, Following "confused identity " for a trail bike and the Remedy which was Overforked at 160mm has been that some 29'era are a handful to spool up to speed and when you do finally get going they tend to be straight line tractors that just plow through and over the terrain but lose so much of the feel and fun factor of a 26" or now days 27.5" wheeled bikes.

The E29 just can't climb anywhere close to the level of the 5.5c and the Remedy was more akin to a Tugboat although it did well going uphill but needed a little extra effort. The Following was Fun and Poppy but overmatched on steep and Square edged Gnar and rode so much off the back wheel and unbalanced that within the first hour riding your ready for your ex girlfriend to come back into your life.

My 5.5c is 29 pounds with pedals but it rides more efficient and snappy like a 26 pound trail 29'er and it tucks and turns like a sidewinder and feels very balanced. I will change my cassette for a trip like NZ as I'm currently using an 11-42t with 32t and I feel 11-46t will help me out when I have to grind and fatigue sets in.

The SB6c would have been my second choice and although it's the better gravity bike from my A to B comparison with the 5.5 I do feel that it's just a step behind the 5.5c when it comes to marathon days and pedaling long and steep sections I'll no doubt encounter.

The 5c is such a great bike and could no doubt be the Swiss Army Knife in the industry because it's not lacking in any one area but I wanna take the Neighborhood Bully "5.5c or 6c" to this fight instead of the Boyscout that is almost perfect..."5c and 4.5c" but just a little to timid if your getting pushed around with the sure to encounter Pucker DH sections.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Hello SuperBike and thanks for saying hello.

I'll be taking the 5.5c to NZ as I feel it has the perfect mix of attributes to tackle anything I may encounter on the very diverse itinerary that H&I has planned. Part of my thinking on choosing the 5.5c is that it pedals much lighter and compact than what I've experienced in other Longish travel 29'ers.....it's less bulky and very nimble where my past memory on bikes like the E29, Following "confused identity " for a trail bike and the Remedy which was Overforked at 160mm has been that some 29'era are a handful to spool up to speed and when you do finally get going they tend to be straight line tractors that just plow through and over the terrain but lose so much of the feel and fun factor of a 26" or now days 27.5" wheeled bikes.

The E29 just can't climb anywhere close to the level of the 5.5c and the Remedy was more akin to a Tugboat although it did well going uphill but needed a little extra effort. The Following was Fun and Poppy but overmatched on steep and Square edged Gnar and rode so much off the back wheel and unbalanced that within the first hour riding your ready for your ex girlfriend to come back into your life.

My 5.5c is 29 pounds with pedals but it rides more efficient and snappy like a 26 pound trail 29'er and it tucks and turns like a sidewinder and feels very balanced. I will change my cassette for a trip like NZ as I'm currently using an 11-42t with 32t and I feel 11-46t will help me out when I have to grind and fatigue sets in.

The SB6c would have been my second choice and although it's the better gravity bike from my A to B comparison with the 5.5 I do feel that it's just a step behind the 5.5c when it comes to marathon days and pedaling long and steep sections I'll no doubt encounter.

The 5c is such a great bike and could no doubt be the Swiss Army Knife in the industry because it's not lacking in any one area but I wanna take the Neighborhood Bully "5.5c or 6c" to this fight instead of the Boyscout that is almost perfect..."5c and 4.5c" but just a little to timid if your getting pushed around with the sure to encounter Pucker DH sections.
    Hi skinnybex,

Thanks again for sharing your ride experiences with those awesome bikes.
    I am 168cm tall, so the smallest size SB5.5 which is Medium is a bit too big for me.
    Yeti Cycles recommended height is 170cm to 180cm for Medium Size frame.
    That leave me with the choice of either the SB6 or the new SB5 V2.

What size inner width rim and tyres would you recommend for the SB6?
    Is your LB Asymmetric rim perform well? Is it a reinforced carbon version?

I am a Liverpool FC fan since 1976
    We Never Walk Alone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superbike View Post
    Hi skinnybex,

Thanks again for sharing your ride experiences with those awesome bikes.
    I am 168cm tall, so the smallest size SB5.5 which is Medium is a bit too big for me.
    Yeti Cycles recommended height is 170cm to 180cm for Medium Size frame.
    That leave me with the choice of either the SB6 or the new SB5 V2.

What size inner width rim and tyres would you recommend for the SB6?
    Is your LB Asymmetric rim perform well? Is it a reinforced carbon version?

I am a Liverpool FC fan since 1976
    We Never Walk Alone
    Greeting Superbike.

I'm very happy and impressed with my LB ASY rims. I have XC923 wheels for my Hardtail and I have AM928's for my 5.5c. I went with the standard layup to keep the weight a little lighter but I'd recommend getting the wheels reinforced to the DH layup when you order since It'll be on your 6c and with that particular bike I'd rather error on the side of extra durability then saving 120 grams for the pair. I run Stan's Flow mk2 on my 6c so those wheels are pretty heavy but bombproof. I highly recommend LB wheels and they've always had good communication and the shipping was prompt. I'd get your build with the Hope Pro 4 hubs since the price is so good and they already have nice engagement.

I've been a Pool fan since 1989 and all I do is live and breathe LFC. I've been to Anfield twice and it's such a great atmosphere.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Go with the AM928's and get the extra reinforcement. Those wheels will be mint and you'll be able to run almost any tire you choose and keep a nice profile as the tire was intended. I'm anti ultra wide wheels but I know many people rave about the performance. I had 38id LB wheels back when I had my Nomad 3 and I wasn't blown away but rather unimpressed.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Go with the AM928's and get the extra reinforcement. Those wheels will be mint and you'll be able to run almost any tire you choose and keep a nice profile as the tire was intended. I'm anti ultra wide wheels but I know many people rave about the performance. I had 38id LB wheels back when I had my Nomad 3 and I wasn't blown away but rather unimpressed.

These are the weight for the rims that I have shortlisted.
    Light Bicycle Asymmetric AM728 28mm = 425g
    Light Bicycle Asymmetric EN728 28mm (reinforced)= 475g
    DT Swiss XM481 30mm = 490g
    DT Swiss EX471 25mm = 500g

Comparing it to the DT Swiss aluminum rims, there is no much weight saving on the reinforced EN728 carbon rim.
    My body weight is 57kg only, the lighting version AM728 carbon rim should be enough for me on the SB6.
    What do you think?

mtbr member
    Your a pretty light rider so I think you'll be okay with the standard layup assuming you don't run crazy low psi.....18-20psi. I'd stick to minimum 22F and 24R and still get great traction and trail feedback.

Are you buying a comp lee build...XO ? If your buying the XO build I'd just ride the EX471 wheels because they are really bombproof and later you can upgrade if you feel the need.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

OriginalDonk
    American who lived in Australia for a few years and tried to spend every damn second he could in New Zealand.

First and foremost, I strongly recommend heading down there. The riding is exceptional and the people are some of the most amazing in the world. The landscape in the South Island is absolutely insane while the North Island has a few riding gems like Rotorua. Looks like the tour is South Island focused but Rotovegas is worth a stop.

Terrain is extremely varied as New Zealand is functionally a version of North American that has been compressed to the point where you can drive from tropical beaches to fjords with glaciers in about 6 hours in the South Island and amazing tropical beaches to active volcanoes in the North Island.

Rotorua has it's famous redwood forests and some incredibly well-maintained trails. Have a look at last year's EWS for a taste of what's available.

The tours itinerary hits most of the really good stuff that is truly top tier like trails in Nelson (Ghost Road) and Craigieburn (having ridden CO, UT, CA, OR, WA, WY, NC, BC, etc.). That hike at Mt. Cook will be stunner. Most people head down to Queenstown to ride through Lord of the Rings country and hit the bike park but the Remarkables are appropriately named.

I personally would recommend an SB5 as the best balance for the country as a whole as you'll be earning your turns though the 5.5 and 6 could be a ton of fun in sections. I heli-biked out of Queenstown and actually hit a sheep blasting around a corner and separated my shoulder. Pretty amazing to ride through fields of wild thyme down there.

If anybody's on the fence, go for it. The Kiwis are amazing people. Ride hard, grab a Speights, and slam a chunky beef pie. Come back saying "sweet as" and plan to go back.

My $0.02.

mtbr member
    Awesome info Donk ! I may have to call an audible and take my 5c. It's set up with a fox 36 and an X2 but still 26 1/2 pounds and is such a fun bike. I'm so stoked about this trip because we really get plenty of riding and a great diversity of eco systems. Next year I travel to Sydney for work so I might have to get over to Rotorua to sample that area as well.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

OriginalDonk
    If your 5c is built up like that I think it's definitely the steed to take. Air New Zealand has a flight directly from Sydney to Rotorua. 99% of the people on every flight are mountain bikers.

One thing to mention about New Zealand is that they are incredibly concerned about biosecurity. You land and they go through your outdoor gear to ensure that no seeds or critters are coming onto the island. An apple fly showed up and decimated their crop so they mean business. Hiking boots and tent poles go into a disinfectant solution but a bike is more complicated.

Make sure your steed and your shoes are CLEAN and free of dirt before you show up. I've seen guys pulling cranks and forks to wipe away dirt. Invest in a fresh set of tires that you can talk about and it'll save you a bunch of time going through biosecurity in Auckland.

mtbr member
    Once again I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge and info on riding in New Zealand !!! Then in January I'll ride in Chile so I know I'll be in top shape after riding the Islands.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Skinny...I admire you're passion. I'm retired and while not "rich", I have the time and enough money (due to my still working wife) to do whatever I want for the most part. As much as I like to ride, I don't see myself even wanting to do 13 days of riding unless I was there for a month. I plan all the trips I do and sometimes get (1) guy to go along and sometimes get 8-10. The trips to Hurricane are the biggest draw because we can do 4 days trip from SoCal. The most I've ever got to go on a week long or lower trip (to Oregon twice) was (4) people. Then again, I don't know ANYBODY that's willing to throw down $3K+ to go mountain bike.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Skinny...I admire you're passion. I'm retired and while not "rich", I have the time and enough money (due to my still working wife) to do whatever I want for the most part. As much as I like to ride, I don't see myself even wanting to do 13 days of riding unless I was there for a month. I plan all the trips I do and sometimes get (1) guy to go along and sometimes get 8-10. The trips to Hurricane are the biggest draw because we can do 4 days trip from SoCal. The most I've ever got to go on a week long or lower trip (to Oregon twice) was (4) people. Then again, I don't know ANYBODY that's willing to throw down $3K+ to go mountain bike.
    C'mon k2, It'll be a great trip and I know it will be about so much more than just riding bikes. Yes your right, it's going to be quite a test to grind out some of the long days but just being in New Zealand is enough to inspire me. I just turned 43 and I'm doing all I can to combat that feeling I now get each morning when it gets more difficult to get out of bed. I've only been riding for a short time compared to many others but I put living life first and work second these days. I'm not rich but I apply most of my disposable income into doing the things that give me great satisfaction and that I'll remember years from now. I've seen close to 40 countries but I'm ready to see them not from a hotel window but instead from the power of my own 2 legs on my bike.

I realize that a trip like this cost an outrageous amount of money to many but when you consider that life only gives back what you put into it I've finally decided to just go all in.

Regardless I'd love to make one of your Hurricane trips some time so let me know my friend.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    I finished my Scotland ride in July with H&I and it was 7 straight days of many miles and so many more smiles. My friend Robert joined me on this trip and he's 59 years old and he's 6'4" and about 250 pounds and he hammered it down. I hope to be able to do the same when that time comes.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    It's not an outrageous amount at all, imo. People will spend $20k on a wedding for god's sake. The trip sounds phenomenal, I might be able to swing one next year. Recovering PTO right now and paying off the student loans, still gotta be a bit frugal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    It's not an outrageous amount at all, imo. People will spend $20k on a wedding for god's sake. The trip sounds phenomenal, I might be able to swing one next year. Recovering PTO right now and paying off the student loans, still gotta be a bit frugal

For sure griffsterb, we can plan an epic trip next year. I've been eyeing Nepal, Slovenia or Ecuador. I've traveled to Ecuador numerous times for fun but never biking and that trip looks like fun. I think the Nepalese itenerary would be the most rewarding for the cultural aspect as well as some amazing riding.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post

I'm guessing that was directed at my comments and I didn't mean to imply that *I* thought the costs were outrageous, just that none of *MY* riding crowd would ever spend $3K to go ride. I spent over triple that to raft the Grand Canyon this year and if I was going to do it, New Zealand would be my #1 choice...though I'm liking H&I's Yukon trip too. Slovenia looks like a blast but that's a long haul (flight) and when I go to Europe, I'm going for 5-6 weeks....with my wife
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    though I'm liking H&I's Yukon trip too.
    This is a trip that my buddy Robert who went to Scotland with me is selling me on. I think the fact that you spend all your nights at the same resort as well as what looks to be splendid food and drink make this trip a winner.
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy
    14' Yeti ARCc

mtbr member
    This is tempting I spent a month in NZ this past Feb. Race the transnz and crankworx enduro. Is the price of the trip in usd or nzd? My buddy owns BRM cycles in auckland Yeti dealer should stop by if u're traveling through.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Your a pretty light rider so I think you'll be okay with the standard layup assuming you don't run crazy low psi.....18-20psi. I'd stick to minimum 22F and 24R and still get great traction and trail feedback.

Are you buying a comp lee build...XO ? If your buying the XO build I'd just ride the EX471 wheels because they are really bombproof and later you can upgrade if you feel the need.
    What brand and model tyres are you using with the AM728 rims?
    What does the tyre profile looks like?
    Do you ride aggressively with it?

Thanks

OriginalDonk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalDonk View Post
    This is exactly why I'm going !!!!
    18' Orbea Rallon
    16' Yeti SB6
    16' Yeti SB5.5
    16' Yeti SB4.5c
    16' Devinci Troy