Results 1 to 47 of 47

Thread: Need advice

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161

    Need advice

    Hello all,

    I need your advice here please.
    I was hell bent on getting an SB66 and even half way placed an order for it.
    So where's the problem?
    Well I live in Egypt and we don't have them Yeti's around. The dealer who is responsible for Egypt has quoted me an initial price that I found reasonable and that's why I placed my order (only some minor details were left till I transfer the money). The minor details added another almost $1000 unexpectedly.

    So here's the deal now: I have two options 1) Yeti SB66 basic Enduro for ~$4600-4800 (depends on custom duties in Egypt)
    2) Specialized Enduro Evo for $3300 (no estimates here, the local dealer gave me one final figure)
    3) Specialized Stumpjumper Comp or Evo - we have a specialized dealer, so basically any bike in their line up.

    So my question (as I am not a big boy at biking compared to most of the guys I read about here), is the Yeti worth that much? Is the Enduro Evo so bad that it's not worth the money?

    I can shell out the money for the Yeti but it just doesn't sound like common sense to me.
    What do I ride? I ride the local trails which are all rocks, loose over hard pack. I ride 3-6 times a week on average 20km each ride (until the summer kicks in). No crazy climbing and little downhill.
    Then there will be the biking trips to large mountains in Sinai which are basically downhill riding (but nothing extreme).

  2. #2
    Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Reputation: swan3609's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    702
    Ouch that hurts. If I were you, I would be getting a Stumpy evo for what you ride and it will be much cheaper. The sb 66 is nice but there comes a point. You won't have 1000 dollars more fun on a yeti.

    The enduro is a freeride type bike with the evo build and will be overbiked. The Stumpy evo should be a ripper for you.

    I would do a Stumpy evo. I loved the few Stumpys I have ridden and they are very capable. This coming from a very big yeti fan.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

    See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dkr82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    85
    The Enduro Evo has multiple rave reviews in the latest bike "The Bible" issue. All but one tester picked it as their favorite bike. It sounds like an outstanding bike, and possibly best in class. Would I buy one, even if it was that good and cost $1000-$2000 less than the SB-66? No way, because I think Specialized are a pack of arseholes and I despise their corporate ethos and they can get f*cked if they think I'm going to buy one of their bikes to help keep their lawyers' retainer in the top 1%.

    IMHO, beyond a certain price threshold, the decision becomes more emotive than the cold rationality of a pros and cons list. You just have to figure out where that point is. No-one here can help you.. I I buy a Yeti, because everything I see points to a company that's different *AND* builds great bikes.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    80
    Fly to the US, demo some bikes, take back which ever one suits you best. Tell 'em it was yours before you flew over and you are just bringing it back now.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    It was indeed the original plan for an Ibis SLR vs Yeti SB66 but unfortunately my business trip got cancelled and just adding money to the bike purchase is not gonna make my decision making any easier.

    So unfortunately that 'method' got scrapped.

  6. #6
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    849
    If there is a brand I can recommend besides Yeti it is Specialized (unfortunately). They just make good bikes. I do not think you would go wrong on a Stumpy Evo. The Enduro Evo should just add weight, cash and sluggish uphill to the equation, and since you do not do too much gravity-oriented riding, this will do the trick, I think.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by spaightlabs View Post
    Fly to the US, demo some bikes, take back which ever one suits you best. Tell 'em it was yours before you flew over and you are just bringing it back now.
    Defiantly agree, look at getting a cheap flight out (ryan air easyjet etc) to a country where u can train to a lbs and get a frame or buy a frame online and have it delivered to a friend in europe. there isnt a way that customs can prove its not 2nd hand on the way back in just splash some mud on it before you fly home.

    also have a look at ebay maybe some nut job is getting rid of theirs

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bailey44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    747
    I'm a big Yeti fanboy but in this situation, I would get a Specialized without hesitation.

    Really take a look at how you ride and what your trails are like and just get the right one.

    Heck, if everyone and their dog didn't own a Specialized, I would get a Epic 29" in a heartbeat but I like to be different.

  9. #9
    Big Hittin'
    Reputation: nokfir2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by swan3609 View Post
    Ouch that hurts. If I were you, I would be getting a Stumpy evo for what you ride and it will be much cheaper. The sb 66 is nice but there comes a point. You won't have 1000 dollars more fun on a yeti.

    The enduro is a freeride type bike with the evo build and will be overbiked. The Stumpy evo should be a ripper for you.

    I would do a Stumpy evo. I loved the few Stumpys I have ridden and they are very capable. This coming from a very big yeti fan.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    perfectly said.

    get the SJ EVO
    29er's are Goofy

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    117
    Well, I'm guessing you've already looked into online ordering as well for a bike, so I won't go into that further. I do agree with what one previous person said, and try to ride the bikes if you're able to so you can feel which suits you best. I mean you can save a few thousand but if you're not gonna enjoy as much then to me that's still a few thousand 'wasted'. I was riding my friend's specialized when they introduced me to biking and I tested 2 other friends GT (sensor and a force carbon). I went into getting a yeti 'blind' cause I found such a great deal and I can tell you I'm glad I did. It's hands down a way better ride than either of the other bikes I've ridden of the same class. It climbs better, descends better, feels smoother. I've got a 575, so can't comment as to the geometric differences from the sb-66, just that it has the switch technology and 575 does not. My friends that have also tested my bike also agree I got a much better bike for only a little more than what they spent. I've also gotten a lot of thumbs-ups from the specialized riders on the trails - never happened with the yeti riders when I was on the specialized LOL. Anyway, just my $.02 about this. Goodluck with your choice, as long as you enjoy it that's the only thing that matters.
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - full XT group, Thomson cockpit, and Chris King upgrade

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,801
    I probably wouldn't get the Yeti in that situation, UNLESS sepcialized was the only other option. I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than ride a special ed. That bike mag review, where they rated the spec best... count the number of full-page ads spec took out that month, I'd bet the rent money that's the #1 predictor of their favorite bike (I mean hey, 25 year old technology that they haven't updated at all, bastardly business practices and proprietary parts for no reason, what's not to love?).

    Is spec your only local option, where the price is known? Giant or Trek are out of the question? There are a lot of good bikes out there other than Yeti, but Spec is definately not one of them.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than ride a special ed.
    -LOL...I'd rather ride a Specialized than a Wal-Mart bike....that's probably a true nut buster there. haha Well, I don't know how Giant deals internationally, but I wasn't able to get a Giant shipped with any place online or from a shop out of state. I found some good prices at some shops in Utah but they required the buyer to finish the transaction in person. Treks seem like great bikes, I mean hell Lance Armstrong rides them (if anyone really cares) LOL. Santa Cruz and Ibis also seems like established brands.
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - full XT group, Thomson cockpit, and Chris King upgrade

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    117
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - full XT group, Thomson cockpit, and Chris King upgrade

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BobGolden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    but I like to be different.
    Don't move to Golden, we have three 5's and three 575's in the neighborhood alone, sometimes at Apex you would think the Yeti gang is on their lunch ride with all the Yeti's on the mountain, except it's Saturday.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I probably wouldn't get the Yeti in that situation, UNLESS sepcialized was the only other option. I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than ride a special ed. That bike mag review, where they rated the spec best... count the number of full-page ads spec took out that month, I'd bet the rent money that's the #1 predictor of their favorite bike (I mean hey, 25 year old technology that they haven't updated at all, bastardly business practices and proprietary parts for no reason, what's not to love?).

    Is spec your only local option, where the price is known? Giant or Trek are out of the question? There are a lot of good bikes out there other than Yeti, but Spec is definately not one of them.
    Yessir.
    Unfortunately only Specialized have a dealer in Egypt that can and does quote me a price.
    I would have liked a Giant Reign very much. The Trek's I am not too sold on but I know they work great on our trails (several riders have them and absolutely love them). But same problem, no representation in Egypt.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771
    Mahrous
    I'd be different here and not beacause I got my XT SB66 for ~$5850 (much more than in the US) and would have paid even more than you for the Enduro if I was for it, but just beacuse you said you can afford it. To me you had a dream you could afford but now you won't since it is not cost effective.
    I don't know how good is the spesh but it was not in your dream.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    122
    Unfortunately if you don't live in the US, you tend to pay through the nose for bike stuff! Every time I visit your great country, I'm amazed by how cheap parts are. If it wasn't for the fact that I'd get shafted by customs, I'd be going home with my bags bulging with stuff!

    Typical example here:

    Yeti SB-66 Enduro Plus $3850 from Jensons

    Yeti SB-66 Enduro Plus £3695 (or $5805) from Silverfish UK.

    Takes the pis......

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    Thanks all for the responses.

    A little update - since I posted this, I have been trying hard to find solutions to get the Yeti with less expenses (including even traveling to the US myself to pick it up - I mean FedEx will cost me as much as the ticket anyway! why not go myself)

    That all changed 10 minutes ago when Specialized delivered the KO. '12 Stumpy Evo for $3450 - a measly premium for Egypt's market.
    So I can get the Stumpy Evo and still be a grand or two richer without having to work too hard to get a new bike.

    It really is a shame as I think I am on track to finding a good solution to importing the SB66 but now the difference in prices cannot be ignored. It's a shame because I am still convinced the Yeti is a far superior bike, but yeah. Final decision will be done on Sunday - this has dragged on way too much

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shaighway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    51
    I've owned one specialized and three Yeti's up to now and I admit to owning bikes for two reason.

    1 to have a blooming great ride
    2 to have a bike that's seen as very special by other people and therefore make me feel good - Sad I know but true of many people

    Personally, I would be happy paying some premium to get this Yeti, especially where you would perhaps be one of the only people in the country with one.

    Just ask yourself "will I be kicking myself in a year time if I don't get the Yeti" - I can guess the answer.

    Best of luck with your decision my friend.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by mahrous View Post
    Thanks all for the responses.

    A little update - since I posted this, I have been trying hard to find solutions to get the Yeti with less expenses (including even traveling to the US myself to pick it up - I mean FedEx will cost me as much as the ticket anyway! why not go myself)

    That all changed 10 minutes ago when Specialized delivered the KO. '12 Stumpy Evo for $3450 - a measly premium for Egypt's market.
    So I can get the Stumpy Evo and still be a grand or two richer without having to work too hard to get a new bike.

    It really is a shame as I think I am on track to finding a good solution to importing the SB66 but now the difference in prices cannot be ignored. It's a shame because I am still convinced the Yeti is a far superior bike, but yeah. Final decision will be done on Sunday - this has dragged on way too much

    -congrats on the (upcoming) purchase! Hey, we all have to make decisions in life so as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. If you come across a chance to get the yeti later on, then cross that bridge when the time comes. IE: A buddy of mine got a bike that fit his budget even though he wanted one a few steps up (carbon)....towards the end of the year he found a great deal on the exact bike he wanted at the lbs and ended up reselling his first bike and used that towards the new one. Ultimately, they're all good bikes, hope you get a lot of fun out of it!
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - full XT group, Thomson cockpit, and Chris King upgrade

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by shaighway View Post
    I've owned one specialized and three Yeti's up to now and I admit to owning bikes for two reason.

    1 to have a blooming great ride
    2 to have a bike that's seen as very special by other people and therefore make me feel good - Sad I know but true of many people

    Personally, I would be happy paying some premium to get this Yeti, especially where you would perhaps be one of the only people in the country with one.

    Just ask yourself "will I be kicking myself in a year time if I don't get the Yeti" - I can guess the answer.

    Best of luck with your decision my friend.
    Riding Yeti is cool because they are on the rare side (depending on where you live). Do not forget service though. With the trouble importing a Yeti into Egypt, imagine the heart ache involved getting work done should the need arise, bearings, bushings, warranty, etc. I would go with the Specialized because the shop is going to help you anytime you need it. To me, that's the biggest selling point. I ride/train off-road 4 to 5 rides a week. I need two bikes to keep my operation running smooth. It seems like something is always failing, chain rings worn, smoked cassette, broken chain, blown fork seal, worn bearings, free hub needs service, cracked frame, etc....The goal is to keep riding while the other one is waiting parts. I am beginning to think three bikes will completely solve my problem, that is until they all break and I am broke.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    I have decided to go ahead with Yeti. I will buy from Jenson online and bring it to Egypt myself.

    Will this void my warranty in any way possible? I am not an extreme rider. My friends and I (Trek, Marin, Spec, Orbea, GT, Bianchi, Scott) service our bikes ourselves. None had any drastic problems except for a broken rear triangle from a Scott last summer after a trip to Europe (Chatel). Of course warranty is important so will it be void if I do this?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by mahrous View Post
    I have decided to go ahead with Yeti. I will buy from Jenson online and bring it to Egypt myself.

    Will this void my warranty in any way possible? I am not an extreme rider. My friends and I (Trek, Marin, Spec, Orbea, GT, Bianchi, Scott) service our bikes ourselves. None had any drastic problems except for a broken rear triangle from a Scott last summer after a trip to Europe (Chatel). Of course warranty is important so will it be void if I do this?
    No, Jenson is an authorized Yeti dealer. If you cracked your frame you would have the option of bringing it to the closest authorized Yeti dealer (which is where for you?) or sending it back to Jenson to handle the warranty. If you were to ever run into trouble I recommend you contact Yeti directly to see if you could work with them to avoid multiple shipping costs. You could also contact their international sales coordinator to see if you could send it to a country that is closer. I had an 08' 575 until just recently and nothing ever gave on that bike.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by mahrous View Post
    I have decided to go ahead with Yeti. I will buy from Jenson online and bring it to Egypt myself.

    Will this void my warranty in any way possible? I am not an extreme rider. My friends and I (Trek, Marin, Spec, Orbea, GT, Bianchi, Scott) service our bikes ourselves. None had any drastic problems except for a broken rear triangle from a Scott last summer after a trip to Europe (Chatel). Of course warranty is important so will it be void if I do this?
    No, you are fine.
    In the unfortunate case of warranty, Yeti asks for a proof of purchase, photo of the frame serial number and photo of the damaged frame part. They never ask who does the service.
    Congrats man, you follow your dream!.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    Hello again guys,
    So it is time. An SB66 Enduro Plus is on the cards here.
    My question now - what do I need to buy for it to keep the bike running smoothly and nicely for at least a year. I ride in deserts where it is sand, limestone and ultra dry.
    1. I need derailleur hangers (can't find them) spare ones in case of accidents (which will be plenty)
    2. Chainstay protector? (I am running the stock 3x10 configuration for now)
    3. Fox pump?
    4. Do I need a tubeless kit? Obviously this will be one of the first upgrades to the bike (another reason I made the step up to the Enduro Plus kit)

    Anything else?

  26. #26
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by mahrous View Post
    2. Chainstay protector? (I am running the stock 3x10 configuration for now)
    It is integrated in the frame. Otherwise I can recommend FrameWrap, which is a thick self vulcanizing tape, making chain slap a little less threatening and much quieter.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    43
    1. I got mine from yetifan.co.uk but I think Jenson had them too
    2. I would. Any old neoprene thing.
    3. You'll want a shock pump. Doesn't have to be Fox.
    4. Don't know!

    Gonna fit a chain device or leave that to some point later on if you switch to 2x10 and bash?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    Milko9000, which derailleur hangers work for the SB66 with 142x12mm DTSwiss (or is it Shimano on the Enduro Plus?) wheels?

    Ultimately, I would love a chain device. It is very rocky here with lots of chainslap - so I think a chain device would be nice. But I will need to save up a little before I invest again in a new crankset/chaindevice. And still need to get to know the bike better and decide if it needs a device or not.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    43
    Ah sorry, I can't say for sure about 142x12, my rear's still set up with the QR skewer on my old Mavic wheels. I got this one three down from the top of this page: uk store frame parts
    This one might be the same thing: Yeti Standard Derailleur Hanger > Category | Jenson USA

    The post below this links to what you need, I think.
    Last edited by milko9000; 02-09-2012 at 04:35 AM.

  30. #30
    D2R
    D2R is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by milko9000 View Post
    Ah sorry, I can't say for sure about 142x12, my rear's still set up with the QR skewer on my old Mavic wheels. That said, I got this one three down from the top of this page: uk store frame parts and they don't seem to offer an alternative for different wheel setups so I guess its unviersal?
    This one might be the same thing: Yeti Standard Derailleur Hanger > Category | Jenson USA
    The one Six from the top is the hanger that came with my 142x12 chip kit. Kit from Yeti Oz
    Check the description - YETI Mech Hanger for 142x12. Fits SB66, 5, 575 (011 on), & Bigtop.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    43
    Oho, good spot. Gonna edit my message a bit to make sure it doesn't provide bad advice to anyone skimming this later.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by kpr3186 View Post
    Defiantly agree, look at getting a cheap flight out (ryan air easyjet etc) to a country where u can train to a lbs and get a frame or buy a frame online and have it delivered to a friend in europe. there isnt a way that customs can prove its not 2nd hand on the way back in just splash some mud on it before you fly home.

    also have a look at ebay maybe some nut job is getting rid of theirs
    Yap that I have done 3 times, IBIS MOJO SL, SANTA CRUZ BLUR XC CARBON AND YETI ASR-5 CARBON. I got them in Canado, you pay no tax as you are taking the bike out of Canada, just need flight nr, or copy of ticket. Try cycle solutions in Toronto talk to Simon or Nelson they are AA+++.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    So it's done.
    A medium lime Enduro plus. Pulled the trigger. Can't wait till I travel and pick it up myself (mid April)

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771
    congrats!. You'll love it

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    I sure hope so. The next 5 weeks won't be fun

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    117
    Congrats, fun color it looks like online, you'll have to post an actual picture once you get it. I'm curious to the real color vs a 'studio taken' pic.
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - full XT group, Thomson cockpit, and Chris King upgrade

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    She's here and I can only describe it in two words: Rabid Animal!

    It seems to live up to everything said about it. Pointing downhill, it's mental ... it doesn't like slowing down and it can't stop speeding. The frame is built like a tank and very stable on high speeds. Too stable on high speeds to the point I am about to break some bones.
    I ride in very loose and rocky conditions. We's got nothing but deserts and rock gardens here. So I guess going 15mm and 12mm was a good choice (can only wonder how the 20mm will differ).
    The more aggressive you are, the more you feel the strength of this bike. I realize I am repeating what practically every owner says about this bike ... but it's true. Believe the hype. And all this and I haven't tuned it all proper for me or my terrain. Stoked was never more of an understatement.

    Climbing? The first ride in I was appalled. Thought I was cheated. But coming from a totally different bike, I realized I needed sometime to unlock climbing performance. And I have. I can climb practically everything I couldn't before except a couple of things. I am still looking into making a couple of minor adjustments to bar height and hopefully with better tuning, I will praise it like the downhill performance.
    All in all, it's a very intense bike. Finishing a ride before had a tiny sense of relief ... now it's just disappointment.

    Cons:
    There are a handful. The bike is not perfect ... (yet?) of course I am not near 100% of unlocking it's potential. As a matter of fact, I don't think I am close to 60% yet.
    Pedal strikes need a bit of practice and concentration. I never had strikes on my past bike but now I have to be careful.
    My Avid's needing bleeding straight out of the box which is a real shame.
    The tubes that came with the tire are horrendous. I popped both tubes in less than 30km - they are super thin chinese and just not good enough for the terrain here.
    The paint does scratch ... but then again, this is a machine that's built to push every envelope and test all your limits.

    MD_TX - the color is intense. It can be spotted from miles away. It's greenish than the studio pics but it's beautiful and extremely flamboyant if you're into that.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    Her hunting ground:




    One last pic in a different 'habitat'

  39. #39
    26 for life.
    Reputation: KiwiJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    440
    Nice work. I really wanted lime, but I'm happy with white.
    The Nobby Nics that came on mine are long gone. They were light but punctured too easily. Gone for Continental X King UST now. Not the lightest, but should be more durable.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

  40. #40
    Long live the ASR-7
    Reputation: Doba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    269
    I love the lime 66.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    kiwiJohn - I ran Smart Sam's for over 500km and the front tire still looks as new.
    I already punctured the rear Nobby Nic's sidewall. You're right about those but I am too hung up on Schwalbe to be honest and afraid to try anything else. The cost of acquiring any tires and bringing them here to Egypt is too high and can't do it frequently - so it scares me to try anything else and not like it.
    Having said this, the tubeless versions and double guard ones are good enough for rocky terrain and give you enough freedom to pick any line you wish without worrying about your tires.

    I find the Lime 66 the most beautiful bike on the market these days. We are just lucky enough that it is also one of the better/best performing bikes!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by mahrous View Post
    kiwiJohn - I ran Smart Sam's for over 500km and the front tire still looks as new.
    I already punctured the rear Nobby Nic's sidewall. You're right about those but I am too hung up on Schwalbe to be honest and afraid to try anything else. The cost of acquiring any tires and bringing them here to Egypt is too high and can't do it frequently - so it scares me to try anything else and not like it.
    Having said this, the tubeless versions and double guard ones are good enough for rocky terrain and give you enough freedom to pick any line you wish without worrying about your tires.

    I find the Lime 66 the most beautiful bike on the market these days. We are just lucky enough that it is also one of the better/best performing bikes!
    Bike looks sick!. Enjoy Mahrous
    I am also so happy to hear you are happy with your choice but not surprised at all.
    This bike is realy a super bike.
    I hope it will last you long. I am getting some squicks latlely and need to lube frequently around the RP23 eyelets

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    Thanks mate
    What do you use to lube? I hear teflub is good for these things.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by mahrous View Post
    Thanks mate
    What do you use to lube? I hear teflub is good for these things.
    Don't take me as a refference. I use an "old" lubricant I have for years.
    It has a skinny pipe that help me apply minimum amount into the exact point. Our trails are quite dusty and too much oil will become oily mud that is ugly.
    I started a post about cleaning and lubung but got zero responses, so I am just doing what I know

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    Alright guys,
    so the first batch of upgrades are due for the bike (I don't get many opportunities at buying online and have someone bring the stuff back home from the US - saves me shipping money etc).
    I do no racing. Aggressive Trail Riding and on the border of AM. I ride in very hard terrain, loose sands and lots of rock gardens (come visit Egypt and you will understand). I don't do much jumping or tricks, but whatever I ride, I try to do it as quick and aggressive as possible.

    Here is what I have in mind:
    Brakes. The Elixir 5 need bleeding and after a bit of research, apparently the design is faulty and will need periodic bleeding. Also seems like I am a bit finicky about brakes and now I am considering upgrading. Also, I have bent my front lever from a crash. It works but not perfect.
    What do you guys suggest for brakes? I am not gonna break the bank here so a mid-level kit or so (XT? or should I stick with Avid?)
    Handlebar: this is a bit of a complex problem for me. I am 6'1 and went with a medium SB66 ... at first it seemed like a good size but now I am starting to feel I should have gone with a large frame. Replacing the bike is out of question.
    But I know there are a bunch of tricks to make it fit/feel slightly better. One of them would be the handlebar. I run the stock T20. I want a wider handlebar and a lower front end. When I said wide, I don't mind going up to 780mm. There is just a little something about wide handlebars that turn me on.
    How will this help my fit? Sweep bar/no riser/flat? I would also like to go to carbon and cut down on front end weight for better climbing.

    Following up on fit: Stems
    Again the bike is an all stock Enduro Plus build. Will a different stem help with the fit or the handlebars would be enough? I don't feel like I need a major adjustment, but just would like to feel a bit stretched out, a more controlled front end on climbing and single tracks.

    Tubeless
    X1600 wheels here - what's the cheapest/easiest way to convert to tubeless? I punctured my rear wheel carcass and a 2.4 Nobby Nic is on order for the front and shift the 2.25 to the back. Tubeless ready tires there and kept the tubeless valves around somewhere.

    Dropper Post
    Anyone has positive info about the Kronolog? With the amount of sand and dust we have around here, I try to use stuff with least maintenance possible. What's the best around these days?

    When I am done with my shopping this weekend, I will be posting about shocks tuning tips from you guys. But one thing at a time

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by mahrous View Post
    Brakes. The Elixir 5 need bleeding and after a bit of research, apparently the design is faulty and will need periodic bleeding. Also seems like I am a bit finicky about brakes and now I am considering upgrading. Also, I have bent my front lever from a crash. It works but not perfect.
    What do you guys suggest for brakes? I am not gonna break the bank here so a mid-level kit or so (XT? or should I stick with Avid?)
    XT 2012 all the way. Try to go 180mm upfront.
    Quote Originally Posted by mahrous View Post
    Tubeless
    X1600 wheels here - what's the cheapest/easiest way to convert to tubeless? I punctured my rear wheel carcass and a 2.4 Nobby Nic is on order for the front and shift the 2.25 to the back. Tubeless ready tires there and kept the tubeless valves around somewhere.
    Many LBSs here will cut a tube on the outer diameter and rap the rim with excess of tube rubber extended beyond rim lip. Than they can mount a UST or non ust and inflate with sealant at high presure. I never did it myself but it worked well few years back when the LBS did it for my hardtail. Sure tubless tires are usualy thicker on sidewalls and harder to pucture.
    Dropper Post
    Anyone has positive info about the Kronolog? With the amount of sand and dust we have around here, I try to use stuff with least maintenance possible. What's the best around these days?

    [/QUOTE]

    I am at the same decision point re-Dropper post. Too many contradicting reports and no safe way to go. From short experience and some reading I'd say that GD is probably the simplest most relayble post. It does have some "play" which is noticable only when standing and not during riding. Anyways, the image of GD is of old tech and that prevents me from getting one (I got an old 3" one for my 575 and enjoyed it but it was for free) .
    All the rest seems to be great when they work but the reports are mixed.
    The Krolong has some bad initial reports.
    Hope this helped some.
    In general I'd say that Shimano XT staff is great for 2012 (except maybe the 3x10) and if/when you get tired of your wheels, the XT is a mid price great wheelset

  47. #47
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,613
    thought: Shimano SLX brakes only lose the pad-contact adjuster from the XT, maybe gain some minor weight, but use ice-tech pads and rotors (if desired) so better bang-for-buck than XT.

Similar Threads

  1. Need some advice for Womble Epic
    By tootall in forum Southeast/Midsouth - GA, TN, AL, FL, MS, LA, AR
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 09:52 PM
  2. Advice re: singlespeed conversion
    By BubColorado in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 09:35 AM
  3. Need some advice for Womble Trail Epic
    By tootall in forum Passion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2005, 01:52 PM
  4. Ahhh....getting advice (rant)
    By VA2SLOride in forum Passion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 09:43 PM
  5. Advice for Clydesdale Fillies?
    By nostradumbass in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •