Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need advice

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Need advice

Hello all,

I need your advice here please.
    I was hell bent on getting an SB66 and even half way placed an order for it.
    So where's the problem?
    Well I live in Egypt and we don't have them Yeti's around. The dealer who is responsible for Egypt has quoted me an initial price that I found reasonable and that's why I placed my order (only some minor details were left till I transfer the money). The minor details added another almost $1000 unexpectedly.

So here's the deal now: I have two options 1) Yeti SB66 basic Enduro for ~$4600-4800 (depends on custom duties in Egypt)
    2) Specialized Enduro Evo for $3300 (no estimates here, the local dealer gave me one final figure)
    3) Specialized Stumpjumper Comp or Evo - we have a specialized dealer, so basically any bike in their line up.

So my question (as I am not a big boy at biking compared to most of the guys I read about here), is the Yeti worth that much? Is the Enduro Evo so bad that it's not worth the money?

I can shell out the money for the Yeti but it just doesn't sound like common sense to me.
    What do I ride? I ride the local trails which are all rocks, loose over hard pack. I ride 3-6 times a week on average 20km each ride (until the summer kicks in). No crazy climbing and little downhill.
    Then there will be the biking trips to large mountains in Sinai which are basically downhill riding (but nothing extreme).

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Ouch that hurts. If I were you, I would be getting a Stumpy evo for what you ride and it will be much cheaper. The sb 66 is nice but there comes a point. You won't have 1000 dollars more fun on a yeti.

The enduro is a freeride type bike with the evo build and will be overbiked. The Stumpy evo should be a ripper for you.

I would do a Stumpy evo. I loved the few Stumpys I have ridden and they are very capable. This coming from a very big yeti fan.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    The Enduro Evo has multiple rave reviews in the latest bike "The Bible" issue. All but one tester picked it as their favorite bike. It sounds like an outstanding bike, and possibly best in class. Would I buy one, even if it was that good and cost $1000-$2000 less than the SB-66? No way, because I think Specialized are a pack of arseholes and I despise their corporate ethos and they can get f*cked if they think I'm going to buy one of their bikes to help keep their lawyers' retainer in the top 1%.

IMHO, beyond a certain price threshold, the decision becomes more emotive than the cold rationality of a pros and cons list. You just have to figure out where that point is. No-one here can help you.. I I buy a Yeti, because everything I see points to a company that's different *AND* builds great bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Fly to the US, demo some bikes, take back which ever one suits you best. Tell 'em it was yours before you flew over and you are just bringing it back now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It was indeed the original plan for an Ibis SLR vs Yeti SB66 but unfortunately my business trip got cancelled and just adding money to the bike purchase is not gonna make my decision making any easier.

So unfortunately that 'method' got scrapped.

Mr. Knowitall
    If there is a brand I can recommend besides Yeti it is Specialized (unfortunately). They just make good bikes. I do not think you would go wrong on a Stumpy Evo. The Enduro Evo should just add weight, cash and sluggish uphill to the equation, and since you do not do too much gravity-oriented riding, this will do the trick, I think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spaightlabs View Post
    Fly to the US, demo some bikes, take back which ever one suits you best. Tell 'em it was yours before you flew over and you are just bringing it back now.
    Defiantly agree, look at getting a cheap flight out (ryan air easyjet etc) to a country where u can train to a lbs and get a frame or buy a frame online and have it delivered to a friend in europe. there isnt a way that customs can prove its not 2nd hand on the way back in just splash some mud on it before you fly home.

also have a look at ebay maybe some nut job is getting rid of theirs

mtbr member
    I'm a big Yeti fanboy but in this situation, I would get a Specialized without hesitation.

Really take a look at how you ride and what your trails are like and just get the right one.

Heck, if everyone and their dog didn't own a Specialized, I would get a Epic 29" in a heartbeat but I like to be different.

Big Hittin'
    Quote Originally Posted by swan3609 View Post
    Ouch that hurts. If I were you, I would be getting a Stumpy evo for what you ride and it will be much cheaper. The sb 66 is nice but there comes a point. You won't have 1000 dollars more fun on a yeti.

The enduro is a freeride type bike with the evo build and will be overbiked. The Stumpy evo should be a ripper for you.

I would do a Stumpy evo. I loved the few Stumpys I have ridden and they are very capable. This coming from a very big yeti fan.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    perfectly said.

get the SJ EVO
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Well, I'm guessing you've already looked into online ordering as well for a bike, so I won't go into that further. I do agree with what one previous person said, and try to ride the bikes if you're able to so you can feel which suits you best. I mean you can save a few thousand but if you're not gonna enjoy as much then to me that's still a few thousand 'wasted'. I was riding my friend's specialized when they introduced me to biking and I tested 2 other friends GT (sensor and a force carbon). I went into getting a yeti 'blind' cause I found such a great deal and I can tell you I'm glad I did. It's hands down a way better ride than either of the other bikes I've ridden of the same class. It climbs better, descends better, feels smoother. I've got a 575, so can't comment as to the geometric differences from the sb-66, just that it has the switch technology and 575 does not. My friends that have also tested my bike also agree I got a much better bike for only a little more than what they spent. I've also gotten a lot of thumbs-ups from the specialized riders on the trails - never happened with the yeti riders when I was on the specialized LOL. Anyway, just my $.02 about this. Goodluck with your choice, as long as you enjoy it that's the only thing that matters.
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - stock (for now)

mtbr member
    I probably wouldn't get the Yeti in that situation, UNLESS sepcialized was the only other option. I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than ride a special ed. That bike mag review, where they rated the spec best... count the number of full-page ads spec took out that month, I'd bet the rent money that's the #1 predictor of their favorite bike (I mean hey, 25 year old technology that they haven't updated at all, bastardly business practices and proprietary parts for no reason, what's not to love?).

Is spec your only local option, where the price is known? Giant or Trek are out of the question? There are a lot of good bikes out there other than Yeti, but Spec is definately not one of them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than ride a special ed.
    -LOL...I'd rather ride a Specialized than a Wal-Mart bike....that's probably a true nut buster there. haha Well, I don't know how Giant deals internationally, but I wasn't able to get a Giant shipped with any place online or from a shop out of state. I found some good prices at some shops in Utah but they required the buyer to finish the transaction in person. Treks seem like great bikes, I mean hell Lance Armstrong rides them (if anyone really cares) LOL. Santa Cruz and Ibis also seems like established brands.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    but I like to be different.
    Don't move to Golden, we have three 5's and three 575's in the neighborhood alone, sometimes at Apex you would think the Yeti gang is on their lunch ride with all the Yeti's on the mountain, except it's Saturday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I probably wouldn't get the Yeti in that situation, UNLESS sepcialized was the only other option. I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than ride a special ed. That bike mag review, where they rated the spec best... count the number of full-page ads spec took out that month, I'd bet the rent money that's the #1 predictor of their favorite bike (I mean hey, 25 year old technology that they haven't updated at all, bastardly business practices and proprietary parts for no reason, what's not to love?).

Is spec your only local option, where the price is known? Giant or Trek are out of the question? There are a lot of good bikes out there other than Yeti, but Spec is definately not one of them.
    Yessir.
    Unfortunately only Specialized have a dealer in Egypt that can and does quote me a price.
    I would have liked a Giant Reign very much. The Trek's I am not too sold on but I know they work great on our trails (several riders have them and absolutely love them). But same problem, no representation in Egypt.

mtbr member
    Mahrous
    I'd be different here and not beacause I got my XT SB66 for ~$5850 (much more than in the US) and would have paid even more than you for the Enduro if I was for it, but just beacuse you said you can afford it. To me you had a dream you could afford but now you won't since it is not cost effective.
    I don't know how good is the spesh but it was not in your dream.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Unfortunately if you don't live in the US, you tend to pay through the nose for bike stuff! Every time I visit your great country, I'm amazed by how cheap parts are. If it wasn't for the fact that I'd get shafted by customs, I'd be going home with my bags bulging with stuff!

Typical example here:

Yeti SB-66 Enduro Plus $3850 from Jensons

Yeti SB-66 Enduro Plus 3695 (or $5805) from Silverfish UK.

Takes the pis......

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks all for the responses.

A little update - since I posted this, I have been trying hard to find solutions to get the Yeti with less expenses (including even traveling to the US myself to pick it up - I mean FedEx will cost me as much as the ticket anyway! why not go myself)

That all changed 10 minutes ago when Specialized delivered the KO. '12 Stumpy Evo for $3450 - a measly premium for Egypt's market.
    So I can get the Stumpy Evo and still be a grand or two richer without having to work too hard to get a new bike.

It really is a shame as I think I am on track to finding a good solution to importing the SB66 but now the difference in prices cannot be ignored. It's a shame because I am still convinced the Yeti is a far superior bike, but yeah. Final decision will be done on Sunday - this has dragged on way too much

mtbr member
    I've owned one specialized and three Yeti's up to now and I admit to owning bikes for two reason.

1 to have a blooming great ride
    2 to have a bike that's seen as very special by other people and therefore make me feel good - Sad I know but true of many people

Personally, I would be happy paying some premium to get this Yeti, especially where you would perhaps be one of the only people in the country with one.

Just ask yourself "will I be kicking myself in a year time if I don't get the Yeti" - I can guess the answer.

Best of luck with your decision my friend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mahrous View Post
    Thanks all for the responses.

A little update - since I posted this, I have been trying hard to find solutions to get the Yeti with less expenses (including even traveling to the US myself to pick it up - I mean FedEx will cost me as much as the ticket anyway! why not go myself)

That all changed 10 minutes ago when Specialized delivered the KO. '12 Stumpy Evo for $3450 - a measly premium for Egypt's market.
    So I can get the Stumpy Evo and still be a grand or two richer without having to work too hard to get a new bike.

It really is a shame as I think I am on track to finding a good solution to importing the SB66 but now the difference in prices cannot be ignored. It's a shame because I am still convinced the Yeti is a far superior bike, but yeah. Final decision will be done on Sunday - this has dragged on way too much

-congrats on the (upcoming) purchase! Hey, we all have to make decisions in life so as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. If you come across a chance to get the yeti later on, then cross that bridge when the time comes. IE: A buddy of mine got a bike that fit his budget even though he wanted one a few steps up (carbon)....towards the end of the year he found a great deal on the exact bike he wanted at the lbs and ended up reselling his first bike and used that towards the new one. Ultimately, they're all good bikes, hope you get a lot of fun out of it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shaighway View Post
    I've owned one specialized and three Yeti's up to now and I admit to owning bikes for two reason.

1 to have a blooming great ride
    2 to have a bike that's seen as very special by other people and therefore make me feel good - Sad I know but true of many people

Personally, I would be happy paying some premium to get this Yeti, especially where you would perhaps be one of the only people in the country with one.

Just ask yourself "will I be kicking myself in a year time if I don't get the Yeti" - I can guess the answer.

Best of luck with your decision my friend.
    Riding Yeti is cool because they are on the rare side (depending on where you live). Do not forget service though. With the trouble importing a Yeti into Egypt, imagine the heart ache involved getting work done should the need arise, bearings, bushings, warranty, etc. I would go with the Specialized because the shop is going to help you anytime you need it. To me, that's the biggest selling point. I ride/train off-road 4 to 5 rides a week. I need two bikes to keep my operation running smooth. It seems like something is always failing, chain rings worn, smoked cassette, broken chain, blown fork seal, worn bearings, free hub needs service, cracked frame, etc....The goal is to keep riding while the other one is waiting parts. I am beginning to think three bikes will completely solve my problem, that is until they all break and I am broke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have decided to go ahead with Yeti. I will buy from Jenson online and bring it to Egypt myself.

Will this void my warranty in any way possible? I am not an extreme rider. My friends and I (Trek, Marin, Spec, Orbea, GT, Bianchi, Scott) service our bikes ourselves. None had any drastic problems except for a broken rear triangle from a Scott last summer after a trip to Europe (Chatel). Of course warranty is important so will it be void if I do this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have decided to go ahead with Yeti. I will buy from Jenson online and bring it to Egypt myself.

Will this void my warranty in any way possible? I am not an extreme rider. My friends and I (Trek, Marin, Spec, Orbea, GT, Bianchi, Scott) service our bikes ourselves. None had any drastic problems except for a broken rear triangle from a Scott last summer after a trip to Europe (Chatel). Of course warranty is important so will it be void if I do this?
    No, Jenson is an authorized Yeti dealer. If you cracked your frame you would have the option of bringing it to the closest authorized Yeti dealer (which is where for you?) or sending it back to Jenson to handle the warranty. If you were to ever run into trouble I recommend you contact Yeti directly to see if you could work with them to avoid multiple shipping costs. You could also contact their international sales coordinator to see if you could send it to a country that is closer. I had an 08' 575 until just recently and nothing ever gave on that bike.

mtbr member

No, you are fine.
    In the unfortunate case of warranty, Yeti asks for a proof of purchase, photo of the frame serial number and photo of the damaged frame part. They never ask who does the service.
    Congrats man, you follow your dream!.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hello again guys,
    So it is time. An SB66 Enduro Plus is on the cards here.
    My question now - what do I need to buy for it to keep the bike running smoothly and nicely for at least a year. I ride in deserts where it is sand, limestone and ultra dry.
    1. I need derailleur hangers (can't find them) spare ones in case of accidents (which will be plenty)
    2. Chainstay protector? (I am running the stock 3x10 configuration for now)
    3. Fox pump?
    4. Do I need a tubeless kit? Obviously this will be one of the first upgrades to the bike (another reason I made the step up to the Enduro Plus kit)

Anything else?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast