mtbr member
    Feb 2012

My SB-95 was getting lonely...

More to the point, I was getting tired of trying to hang on to the leg-shaver crowd on rides with several thousand feet of climbing. I LOVE my SB-95, but I now have my bases fully covered. My wife is bewildered as to why I needed a 4th all-black bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My SB-95 was getting lonely...-photo.jpg  

Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

Bikes!
    Very cool, once I get my SB95c I'm going to look into getting a Big Top to go with it

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nice ..ur spoiled lol

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    My mom just flipped when she found out that my dad and I just added Yeti #4 and #5 to the stable.. She obviously doesnt get it..

Nice looking bike.. Nothing like adding more bikes to the fleet.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

Ridin bikes is fun
    Nice....I've been thinking about a 29er hardtail for a while now and since I have 2 Yeti's why not one more. I'm very interested in the new ARC-C but since I don't race (much, maybe another light endurance event at some point) I'm thinking it's not the bike for me. Not to highjack but a couple of quick questions about the BT. What is the approximate weight of the BT Race? Is is in the 25lb neighborhood, more, less. Can it take a beating if necessary. It wouldn't be my bike of choice for say Porcupine Rim in Moab, but could a skillful rider have a good time on a trail like that with this bike?

Sorry if this is a highjack, but I need to know.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Very cool you got a Big Top. I LOVE my ride. I purchased a 2012 medium Race build (I'm 5'9" 155 lbs) from an out of state shop at a very good price and I'm so happy I did. I'm an east coast rider (representing Yeti in Maryland) so used to roots, mud, and rocks. This baby cruises over it all. I was coming from a full suspended 26" and was worried about beating my body up on the hard stuff (I'm over 50) but the carbon rear definitely helps. This thing climbs like a mofo. The learning curve for me was the 29" wheel. Technical stuff was a little sketchy for the first two rides but after that I'm going faster than I used to. Descents were also a learning curve but I feel totally comfortable now. The bike weighs in around 25 lbs, maybe a little less now that I'm running tubeless. Can't comment on durability yet but it's been through a lot of bumpy stuff with no concerns. I've been MTN biking off and on for 20 years so I feel knowledgeable and hope that I'm skillful. Can't speak to riding in Utah. I try and take care of my stuff so it gets cleaned and a once over after every ride. I haven't noticed any issues. I love being part of the Yeti Tribe. Wish I could go to the gathering but have a commitment that weekend, there's always next year. Enjoy everyone.

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonSS View Post
    My wife is bewildered as to why I needed a 4th all-black bike.
    Once you go black you can't go back? Hahahahahaha...

Sorry. I have a stable of black bikes.

Oni

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav View Post
    Nice....I've been thinking about a 29er hardtail for a while now and since I have 2 Yeti's why not one more. I'm very interested in the new ARC-C but since I don't race (much, maybe another light endurance event at some point) I'm thinking it's not the bike for me. Not to highjack but a couple of quick questions about the BT. What is the approximate weight of the BT Race? Is is in the 25lb neighborhood, more, less. Can it take a beating if necessary. It wouldn't be my bike of choice for say Porcupine Rim in Moab, but could a skillful rider have a good time on a trail like that with this bike?

Sorry if this is a highjack, but I need to know.
    I was sort of in the same boat when I was making up my mind between the two bikes. I actually plan to race the Big Top, but more for endurance events like the Creampuff 100, where being comfortable pays off more than shaving a couple grams.

My medium weighs in somewhere under 25 lbs with pedals. The ARC-c is probably a plenty capable bike, but a quick look at the numbers shows some differences. In a size medium, the Big Top is 1/2" shorter in the top tube. I've got a short torso, and the shorter length with a 90mm stem keeps it feeling more trail than race. If I had a dropper post on it, I could probably ride most anything without significant drops.

I think this thing is sufficiently burly that you're not likely to kill it with sane riding. I probably could ride porcupine on this bike, but it would be all about carefully picking lines rather than bashing down it. The SB-95 is definitely the more "fun" bike of the two, but given that my weekday ride is 20+ miles and over 3000 ft of climbing, I was tired of getting torn apart by my friends on XC rigs.

Plan on buying an alterate front tire from day 1, however. The Ikon works great on back, but you really need something more (ardent?) out front for this bike to feel right.
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert