In my mind, I can do it!

My first race is coming up soon...

I'll be racing my first race on 10/1 in the Beginner Masters. I'm sure my 29# Yeti nor my out of shape bod is going to take any trophies home but it should be a fun experience regardless. I have no idea what to expect though. The trail is one that I have put several hundred miles on and I know it well however racing it may be a totally different experience.

Tips are welcome.... FYI, it's an 8 mile trail through twisty tight trees with lots of obsticles and few places to pass. I almost wish I had my old GT put together. A 23# hardtail racer might drop a few minutes off my time....

Hi!!!
    Good luck with the race iviguy!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    `Good luck iviguy!

Dial the Rev' down to 110 or so and let it rip! Maybe use a little higher pressure than usual on the RP3 if you don't mind a harsher ride, to help a little with the power transfer....

Cheers,
    Cris

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    `Good luck iviguy!

Dial the Rev' down to 110 or so and let it rip! Maybe use a little higher pressure than usual on the RP3 if you don't mind a harsher ride, to help a little with the power transfer....

Cheers,
    Cris
    Hmmm. I may have to dial it down some and give it a try before the race. I have been wondering if that makes a difference in the handling of the bike or not.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    It should make the steering a little faster, but of course you need to see if you like it first...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I raced my 575 in about a dozen beginner class races earlier this year. I put more air in the RP3 and the heaviest spring in my vanilla. Out of all those races, the only time I really felt I was at a significant disadvantage was in really tight and twisty courses. I thought about moving the fork down to the 100mm setting to make the steering quicker, but it is still going to be a tall bike and my hands, arms and shoulders get fatigued anyway. So, I figured I was better off leaving the bike set-up where I am most comfortable and confident.

I'm just a beginner and casual racer, but this would be my strategy:

Try to get just behind the sand-baggers at the start. It is better to get passed later than to get stuck behind slugs with no way around. The gazelles will get by you at the start, so don't worry about that. By the time you get around a really slow rider on a tight course, you'll have lost any chance of catching up to people your speed who got off to a better start. Eight miles is short, so catch your wind after a strong start, find a pace that you can maintain and forget that you're in any kind of race. From that point on, let your lungs dicate a consistent pace and concentrate on making a clean ride. If you crash, you'll get caught behind the slugs. So, keeping the rubber on the trail is essential.

Good Luck!!!

mtbr member
    For me what's importante is to stop riding the wendsday before the race
    Just a short ride the day before the race to speen the legs
    A good pasta the night before and a very long sleep

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by b_chance5
    I raced my 575 in about a dozen beginner class races earlier this year. I put more air in the RP3 and the heaviest spring in my vanilla. Out of all those races, the only time I really felt I was at a significant disadvantage was in really tight and twisty courses. I thought about moving the fork down to the 100mm setting to make the steering quicker, but it is still going to be a tall bike and my hands, arms and shoulders get fatigued anyway. So, I figured I was better off leaving the bike set-up where I am most comfortable and confident.

I'm just a beginner and casual racer, but this would be my strategy:

Try to get just behind the sand-baggers at the start. It is better to get passed later than to get stuck behind slugs with no way around. The gazelles will get by you at the start, so don't worry about that. By the time you get around a really slow rider on a tight course, you'll have lost any chance of catching up to people your speed who got off to a better start. Eight miles is short, so catch your wind after a strong start, find a pace that you can maintain and forget that you're in any kind of race. From that point on, let your lungs dicate a consistent pace and concentrate on making a clean ride. If you crash, you'll get caught behind the slugs. So, keeping the rubber on the trail is essential.

Good Luck!!!
    That's good advice. My fear is that I am one of those "slugs"... lol... I am competitive and will even pit myself against other riders when I am on casual rides as well. They don't know I am doing that but it's more an internal challange. So I don't think I am a slug but I may find out different....

The 575 seems very efficient so I may not do anything but set the propedal to firm. I have found on this course that the more of the trail that the bike soaks up the more energy I have left toward the end. There are lots of roots and everyone you hit takes just a tiny chunk of your energy.

The way the course is setup there is about a 1/10 of a mile start of open ground before you hit the trees and that is where it will backup. Once in the trees there are few places to pass. You get the occasional open field which is mostly going to be up hill so if you are strong there you can probably pass several but I think you are correct. If I get behind the slugs in the beginning it will be difficult to get around them and catch up with the others.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by french man
    Yeah, the race is on a sunday morning. So the week before the race I think I will ride the course every night up to probably Wednesday, eat lots of bananna's and carbs that week too. Saturday I'll do an easy paced ride there and prepare to hit it hard Sunday morning.

Here is the course map: http://www.dorba.org/racing/racemaps/ep_race_beg.jpg

Cheers!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by french man
    Do you think it's a good idea to take a couple of shots of goo or something like that right before a race? Is there something I can take to keep the lactic acid down?

mtbr member
    Try it and tell us about it
    I wish i'll be there the race look good on paper
    For myself i am going to race first week end of october in France at the roc d'azur 60 km mostly singletracks near the mediterranéen sea

Hi!!!
    Have you tried SportLegs yet?? Best creation since the 575 IMNSHO.

http://www.sportlegs.com/about/welcome.asp

Do a search of the forums and you'll see that there are some firm believers (including myself) in the stuff.