mtbr member
    Mar 2013

My first Mountain Bike - Yeti ASR

Hello folks:

Im new to the forum and new to mountain biking. A group of guys at work are hitting the local trails every Wednesday and Saturday and I decided to join them. In my pursue for a first bike, I came to a Yeti ASR (think it is a 2009 model but could be wrong) that my brother in law had stored in his garage and sold it to me for 900 bucks. I decided to upgrade the drivetrain and brake system to a Shimano XT groupset. I took the bike to the trails last week and it performed great. My only reservation is the size of the wheels. The bike currently has a DT Swiss XR 4.2D wheel set with Maxxis Ignitor 1.9 tires set tubeless. Since I want to do some all mountain riding with the bike, which wheel set and tire combo would you recommend? Could I continue to use the DT Swiss rims and just change the tires to a bigger size? I would still like to have the tires set tubeless.

My apologies if this post doesnt belong in this thread. Below you will find a crappy picture of the Yeti (taken with an Iphone). Thanks in advance for your feedback.

mtbr member
    Econ,

Congrats on the new to you ride. I have almost the same bike but it is a 2006. I have run some big tires on those rims without any problems. I have run 2.4 on the same rims on my 575 and the only issues I had was they almost rubbed on the rear tri.

So try some bigger tires and see how you like them.