Stupid is, as stupid does

My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C

Well I have been played up now for 5 weeks due to my pinkie injury. I was riding my favorite trail the Backbone loop ending in Will Rogers State Park. It is about 31 miles round trip from my house in Santa Monica. There is a pedestrian bridge towards the end of Rodgers trail. At the end of the bridge there is a lip and the landing is slanted down. I have always bunny hopped off that lip. Well this time as I bunny hopped off the lip my handle bar smashed into the bridge post. My pinkie tried to protect me but it was mortally injured. My best guess is I was going 20mph when I hit the railing. It was a miracle I didn't crash since I could only brake with my front brake. My right and was useless.

Anyway what does this have to do with my bike? I have never posted my build on the SB95C thread on this forum. I would like to think that it is unique enough that it deserves it's own build thread. Or perhaps I am bored enough sitting at home doing nothing that I have time to write this.

I built my bike up for how I like to ride. Lot of fire road climbs and fast ridge descents with occasional trips to ski areas. My average rides are 14-30 miles. With the 14 mile ride there is about 2300 feet of elevation gain.

Frame: 2014 XL Yeti SB95C Black/Turquoise
    Rear Shock: Cane Creek DB Inline rear shock
    Front Fork: Rock Shox Pike RCT3 150 travel
    Grips: CSI Chunky Grips
    Handlebar: Race Face SixC 31.8 800MM wide
    Headset: Loaded X-Lite Tapered (99 grams)
    Stem: Syntace Mage Force 2 stem 35mm
    Stem Spacers:Box Components Zero spacers
    Shifters: XT I-spec 2x10
    Brakes: XTR
    Rotors: 203F/180R
    Rotor Bolts: Rainbow Titanium Bolts
    Seatpost: KS Lev 150mm
    Seat Post Clamp: Omni Bikes Light Seat Post clamp with Ti bolt
    Seat:SDG Falcon Ti-rails
    Rear Cassette: Sram XX 13-36
    Rear 40T expander: Wolf Tooth Components (Smallest 11T cog removed to use XX cassette)
    Rear Derailleur: XTR Med Cage Clutch
    Front Derailleur: XT
    Bottom Bracket: Race Face Ceramic Bearings
    Chain:KMC X10sl Gold ti-nitride
    Cranks:2011 Race Face Next SL Cranks
    Front Chain Rings: Black Spire 40-26
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy SL with eBay Ti spindle
    Rims: Light Cycle 30mm rims 32H (Wheelset weighs 1460 grams)
    Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
    Nipples: DT Swiss Black
    Hubs: American Classic Disc 225 Rear/ American Classic 15mm T/A Disc
    Tires: 2.4 Ardent EXO TR Rear/Front Hans dampf TrailStar 2.35 TR
    Bolt's: Alloy & Ti bolts used throughout the frame where safe enough (Front D, Brake clamps, brake bolt's, bottle cage bolts)

Total bike weight currently is 27.8lbs.

There is helicopter tape on the entire frame

First I have to explain the rainbow titanium brake bolts. I have a limited edition Sig Saur P230 that has the same finish. When I saw this bolts on eBay one day I just had to have them. It always makes me smile when I look at them and knowing that they match my handgun.

I really wanted to use a 40T expander but did not want to say good bye to my Beautifuly light XX rear cassette. So I thought why not just remove the smallest 11T ring and try it that way. Well it mounted up perfectly and did not affect shifting at all. The only time I really miss it is on the pavement riding to the trail head or long steep fire road/pavement descents.

It took a lot pf Phenagling with the front derailleur/BB/Crank to get those larger rigs to fit. At first they would rub against the chainstay. This bike was my first foray into 2x drive trains and the 24/28 was pretty good for climbing but it just wasn't good enough for all the pedaling variety on the long rides that I do (I also have a very long inseam 34" which makes my leg's cranking machines). I first changed the rear cassette to use the WT 40T expander. But by the time I did this I was in such good shape that I just ended up using the 38T front ring and I was rarely using the 24T (Except on days when it was too hot. Than i would use the 24T more). To get the larger chainrings to fit I had to put a spacer between the drive side BB shell. Than put tiny spacers behind the Front deraileur bolts to space it out further. The combination of the 40/26T rings the 13-40 rear cassette & medium cage rear derailleur is absolutely perfect and spot on for me. It is so nice I am planning on doing this with my Ibis as well.

Well this killed a good 2 hours of my day. Thanks for reading and looking. I uploaded the pics in a particular order but it looks like mtbr uploader put them in its own order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-img_2423.jpg  

My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-img_2422.jpg  

My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-new-pinkie1.jpg  

My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-new-pinkie-1.jpg  

My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-busted-pinkie.jpg  

My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-img_2424.jpg  

My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-img_2425.jpg  

My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-img_2426.jpg  

My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-img_2427.jpg  

My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-img_2428.jpg  

My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-img_2431.jpg  

Last edited by spunkmtb; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:21 PM.
    Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C
    1993 Brodie Expresso-For Sale
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Cool build... Been wanting to do that loop for a long time... Maybe a guided tour is in order...

Pistol grip pump on your lap at all times? LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
    Cool build... Been wanting to do that loop for a long time... Maybe a guided tour is in order...

Pistol grip pump on your lap at all times? LOL...
    It will take me a few months to get up to speed again. I am starting PT in a week. I will shoot you a PM when I get unto speed again. I see you live in Studio City. The westside trails are a blast.
    Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C

Also kind of forgot to mention. The hardest part of the injury was taking my glove off. I knew it wasn't bleeding but the amount of pain that I felt getting the glove off was unreal. Getting down out of the park was rough & yes, I called my wife to pick me up. I am not that hard to ride all the way home.
    Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Ouch. I recently came unclipped on a steep ridge going downhill at 15mph. The sudden loss of balance sent my fixed, high saddle into my gut while I struggled to gain control of the bike with one foot dangling. I saw a rocky, 150 dropoff fast approaching and laid the carbon Superfly down as fast as I could. Well, the right hand struck a jagged outcropping instantly dislocating the middle finger at the #2 knuckle. Funny the FIRST thing I inspected was not me.....but the bike!

Then, I noticed the middle finger helplessly dangling off the skin. It looked freaky. With blood streaming down my knees, elbows and back - I played stat chiropractor and jammed that middle finger back into it's socket, before the onset of swelling. Here is the finger, 20min after the ride. The yellow outline was the post-crash position. The next morning the finger swelled to 3x it's normal size. I looked like Jabba-the-Hut:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-finger_jam.jpg  

"The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Clean looking bike. Hang in there with the arm it takes time to heal. It took me almost a year before I could ride a MTB after my compound fracture on my left arm. It gets better with time.

mtbr member
    Sweet bike!
    Do you have a cast or just a finger splint?
    I shattered my pinky when I clipped a stump going 20+mph. I started riding a few weeks later after I had surgery and had a cast put on. Once the cast was off there was a lot of pain riding and I did 12 weeks of PT to get it atleast moving again. Riding got easier and easier every week, so hang in there!

It's been a year now, the first knuckle (where it connects to your hand) is now fused and I cant wrap the grip with it and it flops around when I ride, but I dont really notice it anymore.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Sweet bike!
    Do you have a cast or just a finger splint?
    I shattered my pinky when I clipped a stump going 20+mph. I started riding a few weeks later after I had surgery and had a cast put on. Once the cast was off there was a lot of pain riding and I did 12 weeks of PT to get it atleast moving again. Riding got easier and easier every week, so hang in there!

It's been a year now, the first knuckle (where it connects to your hand) is now fused and I cant wrap the grip with it and it flops around when I ride, but I dont really notice it anymore.
    That's pretty gnarly. Makes me feel good though that I am not the only guy who has done his pinkie. I will show your post to my wife & tell her "See honey, it could have been so much worse" Lol, that should make everything better

I was in a cast for two weeks than i was on a splint for two weeks. I just got out of the splint. The bone still hasn't fully healed yet and you can see that in one of the X-rays. I will be starting PT next week. I am going on a bike ride today for the first time. Of course I am being a stubborn male and doing it on fire-road. But no single-track. I just need to get out of the city and into nature again. Going nut's!!!! I have been working on range of motion since I got out of the splint and have been working at stretching it back as well since it tends to go to a crab hand position when stretching it towards a fist. But again thanks for sharing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-naked-pinkie.jpg  

Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    That's pretty gnarly. Makes me feel good though that I am not the only guy who has done his pinkie. I will show your post to my wife & tell her "See honey, it could have been so much worse" Lol, that should make everything better

I was in a cast for two weeks than i was on a splint for two weeks. I just got out of the splint. The bone still hasn't fully healed yet and you can see that in one of the X-rays. I will be starting PT next week. I am going on a bike ride today for the first time. Of course I am being a stubborn male and doing it on fire-road. But no single-track. I just need to get out of the city and into nature again. Going nut's!!!! I have been working on range of motion since I got out of the splint and have been working at stretching it back as well since it tends to go to a crab hand position when stretching it towards a fist. But again thanks for sharing.
    Your pinkie will never be the same again....but close. Ongoing daily therapy is key. I regained 98% range of motion from my dislocated middle finger, only because I made it a daily habit to "work it" before bed, each night. The only disadvantage I noticed...is my door knocks are no longer "forceful" as they used to be....lol.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    range of motion exercises, and constant use of a stress ball type thing really helped. They also gave me a weird glove with eye holes in the fingertips so you could put a rubber band thru it and pull the pinky down to stretch it out.
    I even took an old grip and would hold it in my hand and practice stretching the pinky out while keeping the other fingers gripped tight.

When I started riding I too said "keep it mellow", but that didnt last long.

2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I wish it was just my pinkie that was injured...I dislocated my left ankle three weeks ago and I'm stuck in a cast...I was demo-ing a new Nomad after we got some rain here in Socal and it created a couple new ruts that caught me by surprise. I started to go down and my foot got caught underneath me & bent my foot backwards. I had to be airlifted out and then obviously went to the ER. Had surgery on my ankle and put some screws and a plate in to align everything...Not sure how long I will be out. trying to figure how to post some of the pics on here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    heres a few picsMy destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-img_1841.jpgMy destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-img_1848.jpgMy destroyed Pinkie & my custom Yeti SB95C-img_1842.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    In reply to Spunkmtb's build, as I am also bored as hell

So Here's my build also on my SB95c:

Pike 140mm up front
    CCDB Inline (I used Spunk's settings to set mine up)
    DT Swiss wheels..I replaced the stock with the DT swiss XM Spline 1501 on the rear (WOW)
    Set up 1x10 w/ Race Face ring 32t up front
    XT cassette 11-36/XT shifter
    Rock shox reverb dropper post
    Race face carbon bars 740mm
    Crank bros candy pedals
    Conti X-King 2.4 on rear/Maxxis Ardent 2.4 up front

I believe my build is about 28.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Smashed pinkies represent! Binned mine and thought i had just jarred it, but turns out i fractured the same bone that you split in half. This was annoying enough but a complete break like that has got to suck. Mine was in a splint for a month.

Otherwise, looks like a pretty burly sb95 setup, Nice bike!

Quote Originally Posted by kmarsh View Post
    In reply to Spunkmtb's build, as I am also bored as hell

So Here's my build also on my SB95c:

Pike 140mm up front
    CCDB Inline (I used Spunk's settings to set mine up)
    DT Swiss wheels..I replaced the stock with the DT swiss XM Spline 1501 on the rear (WOW)
    Set up 1x10 w/ Race Face ring 32t up front
    XT cassette 11-36/XT shifter
    Rock shox reverb dropper post
    Race face carbon bars 740mm
    Crank bros candy pedals
    Conti X-King 2.4 on rear/Maxxis Ardent 2.4 up front

I believe my build is about 28.5 lbs
    Yikes!!!!!! I really hope it wasn't from my shock settings. Dude that sucks. Good luck!!!
    Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No you're shock setting are pretty much spot on!! My wreck was the combination of riding a demo bike (new Nomad) and new rain ruts. It was actually on a trail I've ridden about 100 times so just be careful sometimes the familiar can be NOT SO FAMILIAR!!!
    Im so bored and cannot wait to get back on my bike!!

Quote Originally Posted by kmarsh View Post
    No you're shock setting are pretty much spot on!! My wreck was the combination of riding a demo bike (new Nomad) and new rain ruts. It was actually on a trail I've ridden about 100 times so just be careful sometimes the familiar can be NOT SO FAMILIAR!!!
    Im so bored and cannot wait to get back on my bike!!
    Cool, I hear ya about the familiar trail. That bridge I bashed my pinkie on I have been riding & popping off since 1988 or so. Lol, serves you right for demo'ing a Santa Cruz
    Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C