Thread: My ARC

Grand Poobah
    Oct 2005

My ARC

I've had my two Yetis since 1998 and still love them. I never have had any intent to sell them. I have, however, had a number of other bikes come into (and sometimes go out of) the house. I built a new dual-suspension bike last year and thought that I would be riding it most of the time.

The ARC was made into a singlespeed, then basically overhauled completely. I put on X.0 derailleurs and shifters, a Sibex rigid fork, USE Alien post, and lightened the bike even more.

Now in the last few weeks, the ARC has been the bike that I take out almost every time. So once again I am sure that I made the right decision in buying a Yeti 8 years ago.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

neat-o

Your bike has a definite retro, very personal touch to it. I can see why you would choose to ride it over others you have. I'd love to try an ARC, they are just so classic. My dream would be to get one through the grassroots racing program - but for that I'm sure I'd have to be a more dedicated racer.

Quote Originally Posted by minus9
    I've had my two Yetis since 1998 and still love them. I never have had any intent to sell them. I have, however, had a number of other bikes come into (and sometimes go out of) the house. I built a new dual-suspension bike last year and thought that I would be riding it most of the time.

The ARC was made into a singlespeed, then basically overhauled completely. I put on X.0 derailleurs and shifters, a Sibex rigid fork, USE Alien post, and lightened the bike even more.

Now in the last few weeks, the ARC has been the bike that I take out almost every time. So once again I am sure that I made the right decision in buying a Yeti 8 years ago.

M

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I too love my ARC. Greatest bike I have ever built. Wanted one ever since I saw my first Yeti catalog at 14! I don't know if I will buy another ARC or not. I am really bummed that they are no longer made in America. I know, I know. There are all kinds of economic forces at work here but it is more heart than logic.

Grand Poobah
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, there was something about those golden years where they were handmade out in Colorado and seemed to be the bike that reached the podiums every time. I saw the Yeti ARC and considered it the top of all the high-end frames. As soon as I could afford one, I got it.

Those new to mountain biking may not know of the history and that almost every world champion racer was on the Yeti team at one time. Aluminum no longer has any mystique; low-end frames and stiff-jarring ones are all over the place in aluminum. But there were a few small builders that could really work the alloys in wonderful ways. Yeti, Klein, and a few others. Most of the companies are nothing close to the same. Many were sold to the overseas conglomerates who just wanted the name.

The looptail Yetis show that an aluminum hardtail can be a pretty sweet ride. I wish I had grabbed one of the titanium ones built at the time, too.

SlimYeti
    Although I don't ride a hardtail, I am still a fan of the ARC. I could definitely see myself purchasing one someday. Does anyone know when the Ti frames were offered, and how they compared weight-wise to the Al ones of today? Also, wasn't it just recently that ARC production moved to Taiwan?