D93
    banned
    Oct 2011

My 575 Medium feels a bit small.

Following the size chart I went with a Medium 575 with 70mm no rise stem. I'm 5-9, long torso. Feels like I'm always over the bars a bit when standing on the pedals. Being a new rider I'm still learning how things feel when they are right but I have to have my butt way back when descending steep rocky switchbacks to feel comfortable, no time to get lazy and get upright on the pedals, even when it mellows out a bit.

I'm planning on getting a SB-66C when they start shipping them, but I think the chance of me finding both a medium and large SB-66 to demo are pretty slim. Am I between a medium and large? If I can find a large SB-66 to demo what would it feel like if it was too long? Is a medium SB-66 longer than a medium 575?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    throw on a 90mm stem and see how that is. to me stem length can make a huge difference.

I;m 6 ft even and ride a size large ASR5 with 80mm stem. feels perfect

Big Hittin'
    its alot about the way you ride too. i like my bikes a bit smaller.

im 5'9 and ride a medium 575.

BTW, the SB66 runs big. i demo'd a M and it was perfect. id go with a medium if i was you...
    29er's are Goofy

D93
    banned
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbike View Post
    throw on a 90mm stem and see how that is. to me stem length can make a huge difference.

I;m 6 ft even and ride a size large ASR5 with 80mm stem. feels perfect
    A 90mm came with it but it kept me out over the bars a bit and was a bit of a reach when seated. The 70 feels really good but I think I could have gone with a 50.

Thinking more about it I think my problem is getting a bit stiff legged and out of the attack position.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi, I'm 6ft and ride a medium 575 with a 50mm stem, feels perfect (but then I come from bmx).
    I'd say get more riding time with your set up and get comfortable with how your bike reacts to different situations. Putting a longer stem on might help, but you'd lose a bit of the playful nature of the bike.

ride your bike
    Weird. I'm 5'10" with a long torso. Hopped on my wife's new Small 575 (90mm stem) and I was like, "Damn this feels familiar!" Just so happens her handlebar to seatpost length is only 1/4" shorter than on my Medium Evil hardtail. The same measurement is a full inch shorter than on my Medium Knolly Endorphin.

But I'd guess it also matters what you're used to. I've been riding shorter and shorter bikes since riding less "xc" and more "AM/FR".
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Remember that wider bars make the cockpit feel more roomy too.
    I used to have either a 100 or 110mm stem with 660mm bars on my medium ASR 5. I'm 177cm tall (almost 5' 10") and have come from an XC race background I don't like to feel cramped.
    Over time I've moved to 680mm and now 710mm wide bars. With the wider bars an 80 or 90mm stem suits me just fine.
    Now going back to 660mm bars with a fishing pole stem feels downright orible! Wider bars and a shorter stem feels great for climbing, descending and pretty much everywhere bar riding on the road. Perhaps a wider bar is part of the solution?

Also, the medium SB does feel much longer - you shouldn't have any issues there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    similar to you, but i have it with long stem ! it's ok