Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

My 575 Dilema-Someone Help!

New Poster, soon (maybe!) to be part of the warm, fuzzy Yeti Family.

So, I have an opportunity to get a 575 for $1500. It's an '05, large, turoquise. RP3, fox 130, xt cranks, x.9 drivetrain, kinda lame-o mavic 217/LX (213??) wheelset. It's on the other side of the country, but the pics look PERFECT. Story is that there was a spot on the original fram where there was no weld, so Yeti warranty replaced it, and it's only been ridden a few times since then. It fell into my lap when I was actually looking for a cheaper frame for a friend...then, all of the sudden, there was this guy, and a bike. For months i've been going down to the LBS to stroke the 575, as it fully is my dream bike (maybe a blur lt, too), and now I have this opportunity.

But, like I've read of iviguy (sp?), I'm totally riddled with guilt. I'm selling my current steed to pay for the Yeti (no other way), but I'm still going to be out about $700. The bike I'm selling is an '04 Gary Fisher Cake 3 (4" travel). This little voice in the back of my head keeps screaming at me to keep my cake, and get a 575 when I'm more financially stable. But, then again....will that ever happen??? I have a 1.5 year old, so she's not in school yet...I'm supposed to be saving for a down payment on a house, and I just got my cell-phone bill in the mail.

Honestly, I'm sick to my stomach. What do I do?

If I decide I can't afford it, I suppose I could always sell it and make a bit of profit.

I've pretty much made my decision, but I'm absolutely riddled with guilt. What would you do?

Hi!!!
    Whoa....$1500 for a complete '05 Yeti!? Is it a legit offer? That's like better than the prodeal price I got!

$700 is a bit of change for the common everyday man...are there other expenses that you can cut back on that will soften the blow? Is there anything else that you can sell? What's the wifey think about it or is this hush-hush ?

Tough call...$1500 IMNSHO is a pretty damn good price for a nearly new Yeti.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    wife understands, but certainly doesn't like it.

No, I've got nothing else to sell. Maybe her stumpjumper? Joke.

I do have an annyoing dog who loves to fetch. Keeps you thin. I'll sell him for $800.

still feeling sick. It seems to be a fully legit offer. I've talked to the guy on the phone, pics are good, prompt emailer, seems like a good deal.

We are running the purchase through PayPal, so doesn't that give me some kind of protection?

I mean, this is the standard way to do it...use PP, I pay in full, then he sends the bike.....right?
    Thats another concern. What If I'm getting totally played? (although I reallllly don't think so, i've googled him even, and he seems like he is what he is. Seems like dirtbikes (moto) are his thing now.

mtbr member
    make some other sacrifices to cover the $700.
    eat out less, steal toilet paper from public restrooms, sell some plasma.

EDR
    Using Paypal really offers you litttle protection. Using a credit card (via paypal if you wish) is your best protection by far.

Cut back on diapers and rash cream. Eat at your neighbors house whenever you "stop by to say hi", and, as mentioned above, sell as much plasma as legally possible in a givin time frame, then look to the black market doctors to take more in between gigs....

seriously, sounds like you've got enough on your plate. Guilt is a lousy thing and if you won't feel good about a bike purchase at this time then maybe it's not meant to be. But hey if you're just gonna blow the money NOT spent on a bike on stupid stuff anyway then go for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    STOP!!!

Paypal only covers $100 or $200 unless you get Paypal credit. It's too good a deal to NOT be covered if you go with it. Get Paypal credit or at least call Paypal about it first.

Any other way you can check out this guy (Ebay ID or anything)? How far away is he from you?

Be careful- I have been down this road and it isn't fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The guy seems very honest, has a high Ebay rating, and (like I said) I have his phone number and address and where he works, etc.

What is "paypal credit"? Do i have to apply for, and get, a paypal credit card? Or can I purchase some kind of insurance?

He's realllll far away, like 2000 miles.

Talked to the wife, decided if we need the money down the road I can sell the bike, turn a bit of a profit and get a different bike...basically she gave me the green light with a smile. I work too hard, and ride too much to not be doing it on a bike I love.

Tell me more about paypal credit.

thanks

mtbr member
    I bought my lightly used 575 on ebay for $1400 more than a year ago, from a seller with a long and positive ebay history. It was still a risk, but I am very glad I took it. Hope it works out for you.

Ant

mtbr member

Do it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    New Poster, soon (maybe!) to be part of the warm, fuzzy Yeti Family.

So, I have an opportunity to get a 575 for $1500. It's an '05, large, turoquise. RP3, fox 130, xt cranks, x.9 drivetrain, kinda lame-o mavic 217/LX (213??) wheelset. It's on the other side of the country, but the pics look PERFECT. Story is that there was a spot on the original fram where there was no weld, so Yeti warranty replaced it, and it's only been ridden a few times since then. It fell into my lap when I was actually looking for a cheaper frame for a friend...then, all of the sudden, there was this guy, and a bike. For months i've been going down to the LBS to stroke the 575, as it fully is my dream bike (maybe a blur lt, too), and now I have this opportunity.

But, like I've read of iviguy (sp?), I'm totally riddled with guilt. I'm selling my current steed to pay for the Yeti (no other way), but I'm still going to be out about $700. The bike I'm selling is an '04 Gary Fisher Cake 3 (4" travel). This little voice in the back of my head keeps screaming at me to keep my cake, and get a 575 when I'm more financially stable. But, then again....will that ever happen??? I have a 1.5 year old, so she's not in school yet...I'm supposed to be saving for a down payment on a house, and I just got my cell-phone bill in the mail.

Honestly, I'm sick to my stomach. What do I do?

If I decide I can't afford it, I suppose I could always sell it and make a bit of profit.

I've pretty much made my decision, but I'm absolutely riddled with guilt. What would you do?
    If you try to justify the bike, it will never make sense. So do like I do, just buy it!

Before someone else buys it. Sell the cake and get the yeti.

A couple of tricks to make some more cash or save:

1. Get on a temp work force agancy so you can work part time somewhere.

2. Sell the golf clubs

3. Work at subway for a few hours is tne afternoons

4. work some OT

5. Look around your appartment - there is some crap you have that you could sell on e-bay.

6. car pool (mooch of a friend)

7. Ask mom for some money

8. Sell your playstation

9. Stop drinking beer and pop

10. If you are smart enough - tutor some kids

11. Do not drink bottled water

12. Do not go to Target with your wife

13. Tell the wife to go easy on the Bath and body works crap

14. Sell your bike by parts and not the whole bike

15. Recycle your old boxers
    Sit and spin my ass...

In my mind, I can do it!
    The guy seems very honest, has a high Ebay rating, and (like I said) I have his phone number and address and where he works, etc.

What is "paypal credit"? Do i have to apply for, and get, a paypal credit card? Or can I purchase some kind of insurance?

He's realllll far away, like 2000 miles.

Talked to the wife, decided if we need the money down the road I can sell the bike, turn a bit of a profit and get a different bike...basically she gave me the green light with a smile. I work too hard, and ride too much to not be doing it on a bike I love.

Tell me more about paypal credit.

thanks
    Well, since you brought me into this conversation I'll give my 2 cents. For $1500 that is a good price. If it's not going to put you in a deep dark hole then take it and I'm sure you could get your money back out of it if in a pinch. If it turns out that you need the money quick it wouldn't take long to get that much back out of it.

And thank you for being one of the very few so far that seems to actually understand this dilemma. Most everyone else just says "quite taking so long and just get that bike man". My issue the whole time has been "I don't have the cash right now man..... ". Getting there but not quite and I don't want to put the money down and then have a big oops either. Its hard to make ends meet with a family. I don't know how these guys that buy so much just go plop down $5k on a new bike on a whim but over here in my world ploping down $3k is a huge challenge. Impossible on a single income and a real challange on dual.

Good luck. Post pics when you get it.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    If you try to justify the bike, it will never make sense. So do like I do, just buy it!

2. Sell the golf clubs

4. work some OT

5. Look around your appartment - there is some crap you have that you could sell on e-bay.

8. Sell your playstation

On 12. Add to that Sam's, Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes.
    On 15.
    Add, 16. Don't eat out so much. I bet we spend $60 to $70 a week eating out. We're freakin lazy...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's simply credit through Paypal and mastercard- you have to apply for it:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...PlusCC-outside

You can find a link on the Paypal website- near the bottom.

I hope you get the bike and everything works out well but do what you can to be cover- just in case.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

part time??? I got a biz, a wife, a kid, and a bike. no such luck
    2. Sell the golf clubs
    did that 8 years ago
    I'm not a sandwich artist, thanks
    4. work some OT
    If we work OT, it costs me MORE, as I'm the employER, not employEE
    5. Look around your appartment - there is some crap you have that you could sell on e-bay.I did that a year ago to buy the cake

done and done
    She's kicking down $150, as I bought my own plane ticket to visit my grandma, cuz i'm a big-boy now
    8. Sell your playstation
    ummm...so i'm not a 15 year old boy
    stop saying evil, hateful statements
    I do, but it's volunteer, so that sucks, huh
    Well, i can't drink my tap water, and you told me not to drink beer, so now i'm totally screwed
    Target? come on.... we're Co-Op shopping kinda folks
    Whoa, she's pretty low-maintance. Probably 50 bucks all last year on that shite
    Well, I'm poor, but I'm also lazy
    What, as rocket fuel? Honestly, i dont' wear underwear

mtbr member

Good ones!!!

What, as rocket fuel? Honestly, i dont' wear underwear
    You could always go back to school and live on loans....

Going back to ivyguy - Most people do not spend 5k on a bike on one shot. We collect parts over time and use them on the mext bike. My first real MTB was a 1994 Trek 930, I still have it, and that was a long time ago. I still use my first camel back I bought ten years ago.

Love you all.
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    I wouldn't buy this bike.

Here are my reasons.

On a risk-adjusted basis, this seller might be a hoax...imagine the pain. You state that the guy seems honest, but then why do you keep mentioning that he is 2000 miles away?...the answer , your GUT knows something is up. The price is very good, but Bonkey or Go-Ride can get you a sweet deal on a NEW ride that you can spec out yourself (ie no mavic 213s)

Also, if you save up and get to the point where you can buy one with budgetted money, you will feel SO MUCH BETTER about the whole situation.

Lastly, as you all know, SH$$ happens. As soon as you buy something that puts you in the red, you get some other bill to pile on top of it...no one is immune.

The purpose of the bike is to make you happy. Are you going to be happy if you can't think of anything but the debt you are in? Suck it up, be a man, and pass on the offer.

In my mind, I can do it!
    You could always go back to school and live on loans....

Going back to ivyguy - Most people do not spend 5k on a bike on one shot. We collect parts over time and use them on the mext bike. My first real MTB was a 1994 Trek 930, I still have it, and that was a long time ago. I still use my first camel back I bought ten years ago.

Love you all.
    Cool! My first MTB was also a Trek 930. It was a great bike except the nimrods at the LBS talked me into a 20" instead of what I really needed which would have been an 18". I had more roadrash from that bike with plenty of ear to ear smiles all the way. It was probably about 94' when I bought it too. I put a marz xc50 fork on it. Bet few even know what that is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I think I'm going with it. Like I said, he seems honest, and I guess I do have the cash (it just needs to come out of the savings account, not the checking, whick I try not to do). So, it's not like I have to put it on plastic or anything...I don't have any Credit Cards.

I have his address and phone number. I met him through Ebay (lonnnnngggg story), and checked out his ebay profile, he has a perfect score, with lots and lots of bike related stuff, most if it sold for REALLY good deals using Buy It Now, so apparatnly he doesn't try to squeeze every penny out of his sales.

He (apparantly) got the 575 on a trade for a road bike, and doesn't ride it much....Moto is his new thing (and his current purchases on Ebay proove that). I also have googled him, and he is who he says he is (work, etc)

I don't have anymore hesitations about this guy. Infact, I went to bed last night at peace with my decision to buy it.

Anyone want to buy a cake? It's going up on Ebay in an hour!

thanks, guys. And I cant WAIT to be riding that sweet 575. And they are Mavic 223 Rims, with LX hubs...so not as nice as the rest of the bike, but should be fine for a while. Monkey lite bars, Vanilla R fork (not talas), X9 drivetrain (can't wait to not have shimano)

I'll let you know if he shafts me, but I don't think he will

In my mind, I can do it!
    I think I'm going with it. Like I said, he seems honest, and I guess I do have the cash (it just needs to come out of the savings account, not the checking, whick I try not to do). So, it's not like I have to put it on plastic or anything...I don't have any Credit Cards.

I have his address and phone number. I met him through Ebay (lonnnnngggg story), and checked out his ebay profile, he has a perfect score, with lots and lots of bike related stuff, most if it sold for REALLY good deals using Buy It Now, so apparatnly he doesn't try to squeeze every penny out of his sales.

He (apparantly) got the 575 on a trade for a road bike, and doesn't ride it much....Moto is his new thing (and his current purchases on Ebay proove that). I also have googled him, and he is who he says he is (work, etc)

I don't have anymore hesitations about this guy. Infact, I went to bed last night at peace with my decision to buy it.

Anyone want to buy a cake? It's going up on Ebay in an hour!

thanks, guys. And I cant WAIT to be riding that sweet 575. And they are Mavic 223 Rims, with LX hubs...so not as nice as the rest of the bike, but should be fine for a while. Monkey lite bars, Vanilla R fork (not talas), X9 drivetrain (can't wait to not have shimano)

I'll let you know if he shafts me, but I don't think he will
    Sounds pretty solid. If you didn't I certainly would... You will really love that Vanilla fork too. That thing is plush, plush, plush. Good luck.

mtbr member

Guilt is temporary...

A couple of rides on the 575 will erase any guilt about your thinner wallet... Rocknrollbarbie had to pay for her 575 using plastic and sold her Fuel EX on mtbr classifieds. Her guilt lasted about as long as her first ride on her 575.

clone
    May 2004
    So. let me get this right... You're asking a bunch of guys on the interweb if you should trust a guy on the interweb?!?

This place is turning into a councilling service!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by idiot
    So. let me get this right... You're asking a bunch of guys on the interweb if you should trust a guy on the interweb?!?

Actually, instead of a "counselling" service we could make it a spelling service...

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by idiot

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Since we're spelling...

Yo iviguy - thought I'd be the first to chime in that "counseling" has only one "l" according to my Funk and Wagnalls...

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by mawiv
    Yo iviguy - thought I'd be the first to chime in that "counseling" has only one "l" according to my Funk and Wagnalls...
    I checked before posting... lol
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=counselling

It's 2 L's

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

who's counting..?

...I should have checked more than one resource before chiding you. Looks like it can go either way:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/counseling

Speaking of going either way, you need to get off the fence and grab a 575 soon...mine's in the back of the transport vehicle right now, fully prepped and ready for a weekend trail thrash (starting the holiday weekend early tomorrow). I, too, was hesitant to purchase - but it's been the best ride I've owned. Try it - you'll like it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast