mtbr member
    May 2006

My 575 is creaking...

My 575 with maybe 200 miles on it is creaking. The creak or clicking sound starts when im pedaling with force up hills or pushing a taller gear. On flats in the small chain ring the sound "sometimes" disappears. It sounds like its coming from the cranks (Race face Atlas) but its hard to tell. i lubed and changed the rear skewer as i heard the dtswiss skewers made a similiar sound, but my creaking isn't going away. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks guys

mtbr member
    check the chainring bolts. All my RF bolts were cracked. also, make sure the pedals threads are greased and tight.

mtbr member
    I had a very similar problem...turned out to be the main pivot. A little grease did the trick.

Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel
    I had a very similar problem...turned out to be the main pivot. A little grease did the trick.

Steve
    Ditto

HYH
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Had the same problem. The mech in LBS store re-greased the crank and the problem did not go away. In my case, the culprit turned out to be the pedals.

Adobo Lover
    I had a similar problem also. Turned out to be a bad isis bb, replaced and had no problems since. I've since replaced that bb with an XT bb and have no problems since also. I make it a habit to check the main pivot if I have my crankset off.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

EDR
    I had creaking......it was the BB. Remove, grease, re-install. just my opinion, it could be anything but the BB is a common cause.....especially when the noise happens when stressing the drivetrain.

mtbr member

Yeah

I've had the same experience. I remove, clean and regrease the BB/crank about every 300 miles of trail riding with good results. In Utah, It's so dry that you get fine, dry, powdery dust that gets into all of the parts. GENTLE washing occasionally, helps also.

mtbr member

another solution

Try pulling off the der hanger, clean off the contact areas and put a little dab of grease there.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Tighten the seatpost clamp.

Was that a Bobcat?

Just had this problem too!

I just had this problem last week also (creaking and clicking with power).... I ended up taking the BB out and cleaned it up. Re-installed it with ample grease (especially on the non-drive side) and the problem went completely away. Good luck!

Hi!!!
    Another vote for the BB and pivots. Had this very problem several months ago and took it to a LBS and the main culprit was the BB and pivots. Lil' dab of grease here and there and other than the sound of me huffing and puffing up a damn hill...my Yeti is buttery smooth and quiet.