mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Monkey Lite on 575?

I don't own a 575...yet. But, I'm building a light one on paper. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

The stock 575 handlebar is a carbon bar with the larger diameter (32.something?). I have an Easton EC90sl on my current 4" ride and like it a lot. Super light and good at dampening vibration.

Does anyone ride a 25.4 mm carbon bar on a 575?

Rat Fink
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    Does anyone ride a 25.4 mm carbon bar on a 575?
    Yep. Yeti's came with them through 2005.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

Adobo Lover
    I have one on mine. IMHO, better made than the first generation carbon bars from easton years back.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I run a Monkeylite XC on mine.... just about a month on my 575, but I used for 2 years on my epic without issues..

Cheers,
    Cris

Salad Days
    I've had a 2004 monkeylite xc on mine for 2 seasons now. I like it.

mtbr member
    I had one until yesterday.
    SL90 or so. It cracked on a steep downhill and left me with a torn mouth and a broken nose.
    Tomorrow they'll adjust the nose. Whish me luck,
    egika

I'm sorry to hear that Egika, I hope I don't have any problems with mine. Actually I just ordered a new Answer carbon bar for my 575 and the monkeylite will go on the SS soon (I changed bar 'cause I bought a new 31.8mm stem and my monkeylite is 25.4)

I hope you recover fast and well.

Best wishes,
    Cris

Hey Egika!

Any updates on your recovery?

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Thanks for the sympathy.
    I'm slowly recovering and will probably be riding again in 8 days. But first I have to install my race face deus handle bar that's waiting in it's box...

Have a nice weekend,
    Egika

Glad you are better...

Cheers,
    Cris

Who is John Galt?
    Gotta ask, how did the bars break? Carbon kind of scares me on such a critical part, but then aluminum cracks too.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Have to dig this out again.
    Actually I don't remember how the bar broke. It was either the breaking bar that caused the crash or vice versa. I lost part of my memories

But the good news: The German importer of Easton replaced the broken bar with a new one for free. So at least I can recommend the brand

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I realize it's an old thread, but anyway...

I'm on my 2nd yeta ARC bar (25.4mm? small/normal in any case); the first one I screwed up by tightening the brake mount a bit too much: it pinched the bar (and I didn't realize it) and the bar eventually cracked (this was my first carbon bar.), though it didn't outright break (I was very lucky as it happened on a smallish drop.) I used a old alum. bar as replacement until I ordered another yeti arc bar. I like it.

mtbr member
    I use an Arc bar with an Arc stem as well. I find the hinged stems such as Arc and Syncros offer a more even clamping force. I always leave my handlebar controls tight enough to ride but they'll move in a crash.
    Sometimes, although a crack appears in the outer layer of carbon, this is only the woven 'dress-up' layer for looks only. Proper structural carbon weave is relatively unnattractive, check out the carbon rears of the Asr and 575 and the legs on LOOK Fournales forks. Not a close-weave mat top layer, just the raw 'proper' structural layer.
    BTW, my opinion is that 31.8mm oversize bars are a solution in search of a problem. I don't really see much improvement in weight or strength but I do see the centre bulge interfering with control placement. Motocrossers still use standard diameter bars AND headsets.
    Last edited by astro_nomenoff; 05-31-2007 at 08:14 AM.