Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 118

Thread: Mba

  1. #1
    Positive Vibe Technician
    Reputation: ShanerPVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    73

    ... and if we just ... Mba

    just got my sept. mba in - anyone else see it yet? Yeti 575 Carbon test baby!
    If you are gunna be dumb, ya gotta be tough

  2. #2
    Who is John Galt?
    Reputation: Big Jim Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanerPVT
    just got my sept. mba in - anyone else see it yet? Yeti 575 Carbon test baby!
    Hah, last issue the editor was leaning on one in his column picture. I sent him an e-mail and asked "when's da review." Must have been in the works. don't have mine yet, will get off here and look at the review, see if I made a good choice. But then have you ever seen them review a bike they said really stunk up the place? Maybe the Fisher Possum review.
    What, me hurry?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tejas Mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    73
    ya he was leaning on the white yeti in the august editor column pick!!! they gave it rave reviews, but like Big Mac said they always do. Doesn't matter to me, i don't need MBA to tell me my bike kicks arss, i already know that!

  4. #4
    Ride on
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by Tejas Mtb
    ya he was leaning on the white yeti in the august editor column pick!!! they gave it rave reviews, but like Big Mac said they always do. Doesn't matter to me, i don't need MBA to tell me my bike kicks arss, i already know that!
    I would have said that until last month's Fat Possum review, which was downright negative. Usually you can read between the lines to figure out the weaknesses of a reviewed bike.

  5. #5
    Who is John Galt?
    Reputation: Big Jim Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Tejas Mtb
    ya he was leaning on the white yeti in the august editor column pick!!! they gave it rave reviews, but like Big Mac said they always do. Doesn't matter to me, i don't need MBA to tell me my bike kicks arss, i already know that!
    Wonder why he didn't pick a real Yeti with the team colors? (Like my bike...)
    What, me hurry?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771

    How did it compare with ML?

    May was last time I visited the US and had a chance to look at MBA where there was a review for Titus ML.
    It will be nice if the two (ML and 575) can be scanned and posted or if sombody can summarize for similar categories. Originally I wanted the ML but never had the chance to demo. Last week I met a guy with ML on the trail and could not resist asking him to swap bikes for a while. He was not interested but was kind enough to give his bike for a very short spin. I must say that I liked the geometry and it felt lighter despite similar specs
    (TALAS, cranks, wheels...). I know however that ML has issues with climbing
    and front end is somehow light making the bike traction on steep climbs tricky (was surprised to learn that from Titus board). Sure the 575 climbs much better than my steel hardtail on any technical trail.
    My bike suspension is tunned by now and I feel more comfortable capable and confident. I only miss my HT when hammering out of the saddle and when climbing rocks/steps.

  7. #7
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    It will be nice if the two (ML and 575) can be scanned and posted or if sombody can summarize for similar categories.
    I have the rags at home so I might be able to post them later.

    Cheers,
    Cris

  8. #8
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Here's the 575 review. I will post the motolite one later. You can click on the photos if you want a bigger version (once you are on flickr, choose "All sizes" above the image to see the bigger versions).

    Cheers,
    Cris

    MBA review  575-p60

    MBA review 575-p61

    MBA review 575-p62
    Last edited by crisillo; 07-28-2006 at 07:44 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771
    Hey Cris
    Where is the "all sizes" botton?. Can not find anywhere above the picture.
    Thanks and Pura vida
    GB

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,416
    Whew- that got my eyes awake. I managed to read it all though. Thanks!

  11. #11
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    Hey Cris
    Where is the "all sizes" botton?. Can not find anywhere above the picture.
    Thanks and Pura vida
    GB
    Hi GB!

    there is toolbar on the top part on the image on my flickr page (after you click the image in this thread)

    EDIT: Flyer, I changed the images above to a larger version to make it easier to read, you can still get an even bigger version if you go to the flickr page.

    Cheers,
    Cris

  12. #12
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Hi again!

    I have scanned the Moto lite review so you guys can compare.

    Cheers,
    Cris

    mba review motolite 1

    mba review motolite 2

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tejas Mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    73
    i tested both the ML and the 575 and i hated, absolutely HATED the way the ML climbed.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771
    yup, that's what I found between the lines on the Titus board.
    I have no personall experience climbing the ML though.
    GB

  15. #15
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    Hah, last issue the editor was leaning on one in his column picture. I sent him an e-mail and asked "when's da review." Must have been in the works. don't have mine yet, will get off here and look at the review, see if I made a good choice. But then have you ever seen them review a bike they said really stunk up the place? Maybe the Fisher Possum review.
    Thank me, thank me very much... Oh, I mean COOL. Check out the email exchanges below:

    Quote Originally Posted by Email to MBA Editor
    On 2/23/06 7:02 AM, "Mike" wrote:


    I am a subscriber to your magazine and like the reviews and articles. I am, however, somewhat disappointed that you donít seem to cover much on the Yeti scene. The AS-R is a super race bike and I only see an occasional picture. The 575 is a bike that I hope to be my next bike but you havenít done a review since 2004 and I donít think I have seen one issue with that bike on display in some form or fashion. What gives? This is supposed to be an awesome do it all bike. Do you plan on doing another review of the 575 any time soon? They just came out with the 575 frame that has the carbon fiber stays and I would love to see a review of this bike.

    Thanks

    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor MBA reply to me
    Hey Michael:

    No plans on doing a 575 test right now. I get the feeling that Yeti doesnít feel Mountain Bike Action is an important magazine so it is seldom that we can get a bike from them. Iíll keep trying, but when there are so many companies who want to work with us, it doesnít make sense to waste time trying to work with someone who doesnít want to work with us.

    C-ya,
    Jim "Jimmy Mac" McIlvain
    Editor
    Mountain Bike Action
    25233 Anza Drive
    Valencia, CA 91355
    (661) 295-1910
    (661) 367-2145 (direct)
    Fax: (661) 295-1278
    email: jimmymac@Hi-Torque.com





    Then I emailed what I had gotten from the editor at MBA to Yeti....

    Quote Originally Posted by My email to Yeti
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From: Mike[mailto:Mike@intervoice.com]
    Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:50 AM
    To: yetimkt@yeticycles.com
    Subject: Yeti Reviews


    To Whom It May Concern:

    I was disappointed that I hardly see any Yeti reviews in the mountain bike magazines and in fact hardly see any info whatsoever besides the occasional race pictures where someone is on an AS-R or something.

    So I decided to email the editor at Mountain Bike Action magazine and see what was up. Below is the response I got and wondered if you could comment on it.

    MBA EMAIL INFO:

    Hey Michael:

    No plans on doing a 575 test right now. I get the feeling that Yeti doesnít feel Mountain Bike Action is an important magazine so it is seldom that we can get a bike from them. Iíll keep trying, but when there are so many companies who want to work with us, it doesnít make sense to waste time trying to work with someone who doesnít want to work with us.

    C-ya,
    Jim "Jimmy Mac" McIlvain
    Editor
    Mountain Bike Action
    25233 Anza Drive
    Valencia, CA 91355
    (661) 295-1910
    (661) 367-2145 (direct)
    Fax: (661) 295-1278
    email: jimmymac@Hi-Torque.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Yeti
    Mike-

    Thanks for the heads-up on MBA. I'll give Jimmy Mac a ring and see what's up. There are a bunch of reviews on our site from all over the world, you can check those out. Also, we are heading down to Grapevine, TX (Mad Duck Sports) with our demo rig in a few weeks. Call the boyz (Clarence or Gary) at Mad Duck and we'll make sure you get to ride one in person.

    Cheers,
    Chris

  16. #16
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    Thank me, thank me very much... Oh, I mean COOL. Check out the email exchanges below:

    Then I emailed what I had gotten from the editor at MBA to Yeti....

    Nicely done!

    Seems like you got us a review... well done! ;-)

    That review was one of the final "pushes" that got me into ordering my 575....

    It's all your fault!!!

    -Cris

  17. #17
    Who is John Galt?
    Reputation: Big Jim Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    yup, that's what I found between the lines on the Titus board.
    I have no personall experience climbing the ML though.
    GB
    Wow, look at the price differnce between the Titus and the Yeti. I thnk the Yeti has to be one of the best values out there.
    What, me hurry?

  18. #18
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    May was last time I visited the US and had a chance to look at MBA where there was a review for Titus ML.
    It will be nice if the two (ML and 575) can be scanned and posted or if sombody can summarize for similar categories. Originally I wanted the ML but never had the chance to demo. Last week I met a guy with ML on the trail and could not resist asking him to swap bikes for a while. He was not interested but was kind enough to give his bike for a very short spin. I must say that I liked the geometry and it felt lighter despite similar specs
    (TALAS, cranks, wheels...). I know however that ML has issues with climbing
    and front end is somehow light making the bike traction on steep climbs tricky (was surprised to learn that from Titus board). Sure the 575 climbs much better than my steel hardtail on any technical trail.
    My bike suspension is tunned by now and I feel more comfortable capable and confident. I only miss my HT when hammering out of the saddle and when climbing rocks/steps.
    My gosh, didn't I beat this horse to death already?

    I was not impressed with the ML at all. Demo ML - My saga continues

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    My gosh, didn't I beat this horse to death already?

    I was not impressed with the ML at all. Demo ML - My saga continues
    I know you did but:
    1. These things may be subjective depending on many variables including terrain riding style/prefference and setup. It took me 1 month to fine tune my Yeti. A week ago a was still somewhat disapointed.
    2. I read the Titus board here and there and find these guys extremely passionate about their MLs. Some of them seems to me quite "professional" when it comes to biking. Some spend tones of cash on bling frames such as Exogrid which is so nice you should live it at living room. I don't believe they are all wrong (sure there is no truth here). As I know from other areas, some will swear by the SRAM where others preffer Shimano and same goes for forks.

    Cheers
    GB

  20. #20
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    I know you did but:
    1. These things may be subjective depending on many variables including terrain riding style/prefference and setup. It took me 1 month to fine tune my Yeti. A week ago a was still somewhat disapointed.
    2. I read the Titus board here and there and find these guys extremely passionate about their MLs. Some of them seems to me quite "professional" when it comes to biking. Some spend tones of cash on bling frames such as Exogrid which is so nice you should live it at living room. I don't believe they are all wrong (sure there is no truth here). As I know from other areas, some will swear by the SRAM where others preffer Shimano and same goes for forks.

    Cheers
    GB
    Exactly! If there was one perfect bike, there would be no need for all the others. Everyone has their own taste, likes and dislikes. You have to figure out what works for you.

  21. #21
    ಠ_ಠ
    Reputation: dulyebr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,189

    Whatever...

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    yup, that's what I found between the lines on the Titus board.
    I have no personall experience climbing the ML though.
    GB
    That's completely untrue.

    99% of the posts I've read about the MotoLite say it climbs like a goat. Check out the product review board .

    here's a quote from just the latest one:

    "The 2007 RP23 and Talas RLC ain't too shabby either, they both transform it into an ultra capable climbing machine that can really open it up on the rough and rocky descents."

    Plus, how could a bike voted "Trail Bike of the Year" by Mountain Bike and Bicycling Magazine 2 years running not climb well...

    Set-up is everything; too short a stem, or a set-back post when you don't need one can throw everything off and make any bike seem lame. Iviguy even admited he thought the shop over-infalted the shock on his test-ride.

    No doubt, the ML has a stiffer ride. It's like a BMW in that it has more road feel. But, it's been designed that way to be a great, snappy pedaler both in and out of the saddle. With my last bike I could not stand while climbing without the bike squating and consequently spinning my back tire, with the ML I stand a lot, and it's great having that option.

    Here's mine and I can tell you it climbs great and descends great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  22. #22
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    That's completely untrue.

    99% of the posts I've read about the MotoLite say it climbs like a goat. Check out the product review board .

    here's a quote from just the latest one:

    "The 2007 RP23 and Talas RLC ain't too shabby either, they both transform it into an ultra capable climbing machine that can really open it up on the rough and rocky descents."

    Plus, how could a bike voted "Trail Bike of the Year" by Mountain Bike and Bicycling Magazine 2 years running not climb well...

    Set-up is everything; too short a stem, or a set-back post when you don't need one can throw everything off and make any bike seem lame. Iviguy even admited he thought the shop over-infalted the shock on his test-ride.

    No doubt, the ML has a stiffer ride. It's like a BMW in that it has more road feel. But, it's been designed that way to be a great, snappy pedaler both in and out of the saddle. With my last bike I could not stand while climbing without the bike squating and consequently spinning my back tire, with the ML I stand a lot, and it's great having that option.

    Here's mine and I can tell you it climbs great and descends great.
    This is the Yeti board. Keep your filthy Titus bikes out of here...

    Yes, you are correct, I do believe that they probably had too much air in the shock. BUT - recall that wasn't the only thing that ticked me off about that bike.

    1. The paint chipped off and got scratched when anything touched it....
    2. The component choice vs. price was not inspiring whatsoever.
    3. Only 2 colors and those are non-inspiring as well.

    I really wanted to like the ML but in the end, I just wasn't that impressed. It wasn't the bike for me. It is a nice bike, just not what I was looking for.

  23. #23
    ಠ_ಠ
    Reputation: dulyebr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    This is the Yeti board. Keep your filthy Titus bikes out of here...

    Yes, you are correct, I do believe that they probably had too much air in the shock. BUT - recall that wasn't the only thing that ticked me off about that bike.

    1. The paint chipped off and got scratched when anything touched it....
    2. The component choice vs. price was not inspiring whatsoever.
    3. Only 2 colors and those are non-inspiring as well.

    I really wanted to like the ML but in the end, I just wasn't that impressed. It wasn't the bike for me. It is a nice bike, just not what I was looking for.
    1. Dude! that is an outright lie, I remember, the paint chipped when you dropped a crescent wrench on it . Your opinions from this point forward are tainted!

    It is true some 2006 models had a bad batch of pc jobs. As you can see, the powder coat on mine is holding up extremely well after 14 months of use riding an average of 2 - 3x a week.

    2. You're right, the Yeti has a marginally better build for the money. But if you're like me, and only want a boutique frame so you can build your own bike the way you want it, then they are the same price.

    3. not worth a comment

    Obviously, the MotoLite was not for you. But, in my opinion you had your mind made up on the 575 before your test ride.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,415
    I've always wondered why Titusi and Homers cruise the Yeti boards... It's not like I cruise the Turner, Ellsworth and Titus boards... Must be because I have no envy and no need to justify to others why I dig my 575 by putting down the Motolite or 5-Spot or Epiphany or (insert trailbike name here)....

  25. #25
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    1. Dude! that is an outright lie, I remember, the paint chipped when you dropped a crescent wrench on it . Your opinions from this point forward are tainted!
    It is true some 2006 models had a bad batch of pc jobs. As you can see, the powder coat on mine is holding up extremely well after 14 months of use riding an average of 2 - 3x a week.
    You are only recalling part of the story. The crescent dropped from about 6" chipped the paint. The chain coming off put a nice gash in the paint on the chain stay. And having it touch my friends bike on the trip rubbed a dime size space completely off down to the metal. His bike apparently didn't have any paint rub and my previous bike didn't either. This paint was the suck, bigtime.

    2. You're right, the Yeti has a marginally better build for the money. But if you're like me, and only want a boutique frame so you can build your own bike the way you want it, then they are the same price.
    The Yeti build is outstanding. You seem to follow my threads well, so you must know what I bought and what I paid... It was a very good deal and if you consider that the frame along costs $1400 then I only paid $750 more for all the components and upgrades. Heck the fork alone is $400....

    3. not worth a comment
    My point was, why would Titus build a nice frame and then only offer 2 color choices? And then those colors were both along the same spectrum as well. Seemed kind of whacked to me...

    Obviously, the MotoLite was not for you. But, in my opinion you had your mind made up on the 575 before your test ride.
    Partially true. I had wanted the 575 from the first time I saw one and knew nothing about it. But my draw to the ML was mainly the more XCish build and the ability to change it to a 4" racer. Man, I liked the thought of that feature a lot. But the parts buildout stunk and that paint sent me over the edge. In the end, the 575 was the perfect bike for me. I am very pleased with it.

    I think the ML is probably a great bike too. I didn't have a happy experience but then again, the very first 575 I rode wasn't that great either... go figure.

    You have a nice build BTW.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •