mtbr member

Maxxis Crossmark burped

Hello
    Simple 1.5 foot drop that I do a lot was the end of my current set up. Probably landed a little on the side and the tire burped and I endoed.
    My set up is 819 with 2.1 non ust crossmark tire with sealant. Worked fine till now but probably not good enough for dropes. I guess a tubeless tire will do a better job since it fits the groove and has a beefier sidewall.
    Any tire or other recommendations for a better set up?, preferably not heavy but willing to pay the price.
    Thanks
    GB

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Fire XC Pro 2.1 with tubes. 35-40psi. 4' drop on my hard tail single-seed without problems. I would also be confident with my Hansventure as I did 2-2.5' drops with them on the same bike.

S.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain
    Fire XC Pro 2.1 with tubes. 35-40psi. 4' drop on my hard tail single-seed without problems. I would also be confident with my Hansventure as I did 2-2.5' drops with them on the same bike.

S.
    Thanks, but I need thorn protection. Maybe with tubes slime but I preffer tubeless if it works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    Thanks, but I need thorn protection. Maybe with tubes slime but I preffer tubeless if it works.
    Add a cup of Stans to your UST tires for thorn protection...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Add a cup of Stans to your UST tires for thorn protection...
    It is'nt a ust tire but is worked except not for drops.
    Looking for a ust tire recomendation as stated above.
    Thanks
    GB

mtbr member
    Thanks
    GB

I actually meant that for whatever UST tires you decide on, add Stans for thorn protection. I've never used UST tires with my UST rims (I've used Stans and non-UST tires and UST rims with good luck) but if I was going to, I'd probably try the UST Nevegals...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    I actually meant that for whatever UST tires you decide on, add Stans for thorn protection. I've never used UST tires with my UST rims (I've used Stans and non-UST tires and UST rims with good luck) but if I was going to, I'd probably try the UST Nevegals...
    OK, so we run similar set ups but mine did not survive a simple drop today. Do you drop often?. Do you believe UST will hold better on drops?. Why the Nevegals?.
    Thanks
    GB

mtbr member
    OK, so we run similar set ups but mine did not survive a simple drop today. Do you drop often?. Do you believe UST will hold better on drops?. Why the Nevegals?.
    Thanks
    GB
    when i got the 575 built up, i was actually running Mutano 2.4's non-UST with Stans on 819's. Up until I landed sideways off a jump while crossing up and the tire burped and the sidewall sliced (about a 1" slice) which Stans couldn't seal. Luckily I didn't crash. I ran tubes after that experience. A few months ago, I decided to run non-UST Nevs and BG's with Stans on an XTR wheelset (UST) and they have held up great so far. Multiple Moab and Fruita trips and lots of drops (3 feet to flat max). It probably helps that I weight 130 with gear and still run relatively high pressures (35 psi or so). The Nevs and BG's just plain grip for the high desert and Rocky Mountain conditions.
    UST tires on UST rims in general have a better, more secure interface than a non-UST to UST rim.

Adobo Lover
    I wouldn't run the Nevegals UST's without sealant, my rear tire attracted thorns it seemed on my hardtail. I still run thorn UST Nevegals without sealant in the front but run tubes in a Nevegal DTC in the rear for my hardtail. In fact both UST tires that I tried on my UST rims seemed to attract thorns, Hutchinson Pythons first generation was the other tire I use to run. If I go back to a tubeless tire I've learned my lesson, add sealant.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Stumpy
    I wouldn't run the Nevegals UST's without sealant, my rear tire attracted thorns it seemed on my hardtail. I still run thorn UST Nevegals without sealant in the front but run tubes in a Nevegal DTC in the rear for my hardtail. In fact both UST tires that I tried on my UST rims seemed to attract thorns, Hutchinson Pythons first generation was the other tire I use to run. If I go back to a tubeless tire I've learned my lesson, add sealant.
    Yeah sure!. Sealant is a must in thorn infested areas (and maybe elsewhere).
    Now I would like to choose a good ust tire. I weigh 190 with the biker custum. and don't believe I will drop more than 2 feet.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Thanks
    GB
    Get the UST version of the Maxxis CrossMarks. The non UST has much thinner walls. The UST version is the one with LUST.

Adobo Lover
    I don't know if the nevegals ust's are drop worthy, however, they hook up well and are decent rollers. The thing is with the Nevegals UST's they are neither the Stick-E or DTC versions of the tire which are very popular tires. I run the Stick-E up front and DTC in the rear on my 575. To be honest with you, I can't tell the difference between the USTs and the tubed versions of the Kendas.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

In my mind, I can do it!
    Yeah sure!. Sealant is a must in thorn infested areas (and maybe elsewhere).
    Now I would like to choose a good ust tire. I weigh 190 with the biker custum. and don't believe I will drop more than 2 feet.
    I have the same tires and same weight as you. Mine never burp not matter what I do with my slime tubes in them...

Just a thought...

mtbr member
    From our experience at go-ride.com we have found that in most cases it is best to use a UST tire with a UST rim. UST tires have thicker sidewalls and usually fit tighter than non-ust tires. Both of these attributes keep UST tires sealed better on UST rims.

However, if you don't have UST tires we have had very good experiences with both NoTubes strips and Maxxis strips, using both with NoTubes fluid. This season I've been using both NoTubes strips (on NoTubes rims) and Maxxis strips on other non-UST rims with only one flat when I completely crushed the sidewall of my NoTubes FR rim. It looked like I hit it with a 5 lb. hammer.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    From our experience at go-ride.com we have found that in most cases it is best to use a UST tire with a UST rim. UST tires have thicker sidewalls and usually fit tighter than non-ust tires. Both of these attributes keep UST tires sealed better on UST rims.

However, if you don't have UST tires we have had very good experiences with both NoTubes strips and Maxxis strips, using both with NoTubes fluid. This season I've been using both NoTubes strips (on NoTubes rims) and Maxxis strips on other non-UST rims with only one flat when I completely crushed the sidewall of my NoTubes FR rim. It looked like I hit it with a 5 lb. hammer.
    Thanks, I sure want to try a UST tire on my 819.
    My rear crossmark burped a day after the front did. This time I was not droping or doing anything special. Just simple sandy side slope at low speed and I lost it.
    Very frustrating!.
    Monday I am going to get some 2.1or 2.25 UST Maxxis (not sure what model the LBS will have).
    They said they had best luck with Maxxis. Any recomendations?.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    A friend of mine is currently riding Maxxis Larsen TT LUSTs, and he is quite happy with them (he is running them on a Cane Creek Zonos wheelset). That is one option... the Larsens seem quite light for a UST tire (around 600 grs) but they are only 2.0 though...

Keep us posted,
    Cris
    Last edited by crisillo; 08-18-2006 at 02:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    A friend of mine is currently riding Maxxis Larsen TT LUSTs, and he is quite happy with them (he is running them on a Cane Creek Zonos wheelset). That is one option... the Larsens seem quite light for a UST tire (around 600 grs) but they aqre only 2.0 though...

Keep us posted,
    Cris
    Thanks!. What's LUST?. Is it Light UST?. Light will mean thiner walls I guess which may be a con. I am a weight weany but I'll take whatever penalty needed to ride and drop free of worries.
    I think I saw the Larsens at the LBS but wanted to have more choices. They said it's actually a "wide" 2.0. Maybe it's a good choice for the front tire.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxis
    LUST Tubeless Technology
    New for 2006. Maxxis Cross Country and Freeride Tubeless tires, certified to UST standards, now feature Lightweight Ultimate Sidewall Technology (LUST). LUST offers better puncture resistance, improved air retention, better longevity and lower weight than previous tubeless technologies.
    So I guess it has to do with lightness .. the Maxxis look "wide" for a 2.0, but I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Traction seems to be very good.

Cheers,
    Cris
    Last edited by crisillo; 08-26-2006 at 12:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I sure want to try a UST tire on my 819.
    My rear crossmark burped a day after the front did. This time I was not droping or doing anything special. Just simple sandy side slope at low speed and I lost it.
    Very frustrating!.
    Monday I am going to get some 2.1or 2.25 UST Maxxis (not sure what model the LBS will have).
    They said they had best luck with Maxxis. Any recomendations?.
    We have the Crossmark LUST in stock and I also like the Ignitor LUST. Maybe a Crossmark rear and an Ignitor front.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    definitely use UST tires on UST rims. UST tires vary in terms of quality control. I have a Geax Sturdy UST that i can BARELY get on the 819 rim...and yet the damn thing leaks air if I dont put in Stans.

fortunately, there are some good UST tires out there. Specialized tubeless tires in particular are very high quality-- i have several different types on my different bikes, on 819 and 823 mavic rims, and in all cases the Specialized tire goes on tightly but not TOO tightly, and retain air incredibly well even without any sealant.

adrenaline pro, revelation, enduro pro...all have worked well for me. for a UST tire they all strike a good balance between sidewall durability and weight.

anyway, make sure the UST rim is clean, mount the tire, inflate to 50+ psi and leave em overnight. this helps the bead seat properly. then decrease the pressure down to 30 or whatever works best on your trails. mine have never burped, even on the freeride bike that gets abused in rocky terrain.