mtbr member

Lyrik Vs Totem for an ASX fork?

Has anyone tried an ASX with a 180mm fork? its out of the recommended range and i would imagine the head ange and the bb height would be hard for trail riding. I have an 03 AS-X and i can get good deals on 07 rockshox single crowns. At the moment im leaning towards the lyrik because its the same travel as the stock 36 VAN on the ASX and the geometry would be better for trail riding. But i have doubt about the lyrik's durability since i do the occasional big huck and downhill race, and i would hate to break something so expensive. I would get the 2-step model for either fork.

mtbr member
    Get the Totem. I think the Lyrik would be pretty weak for an ASX, even if it is primarily a trailbike. For the occasional DH race and hucking, the Totem would be way better. I have seen several ASX on here with 200 mm forks, so I wouldn't worry about running a 180. I guess it all depends on whether you want the bike to be better for trailriding or its intended purpose of big hit and DH'ing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

go marzocchi!

i ride my asx with the new 66 SL ATA.
    travel is 140-180mm. weight only 2525 grams.
    i think it's the perfect fork for ASX. i use it for competition in races like MEGAVALANCHE.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Definitely Totem. But I'll second nosewheely's post, 66 rocks. I've got the new 180mm 66rc2 eta; compress for climbing and the geometry is spot-on for the descent.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I vote Totem. The Lyric isn't enough fork. The mission control damping is awesome! Individual high and low speed compression adjustability rocks! Way better than a 36.

www.yetifan.com
    Hey Summit, I like the look of your bike, how close do your forks come to your down tube? I would love to hear !!

Thanks.

Andrew@yetifan.com

Stray Bullet
    66RC2X all the way.

Dat mah bike, punk!
    very nice.
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quarashi- Hope this reply gets to you in time... I apologize, i am new to this forum. I have a medium 2005 asx with a dhx on the rear. In december, I was in your position. Torn between the 2007 66sl ata and the Totem 2 step air, i went out on a limb and picked up a totem thru sram. I knew i wanted a FR single crown with travel adjust, and i was coming off of the old 2005 66 rc. The totem 2 step makes the asx a totally different animal. Not only does the RS fork feel a bit more lifely and trail friendly than a marzocchi 66, the 2 step feature is great!

I ride the fork at 130mm and the rear at 6" for trail rides and smaller slopestyle riding. The H/L compresion and louckout/floodgate make the fork very fun on the trail, great for climbing, dialing out brake dive, etc. At 180mm, the totem shines. Even with 10mm more travel, the axle to crown of the totem was less than my 66, which was great.

All for 6.3 pounds. And did i mention that those 40mm stanchions and galvenized lowers look amazing? It dwarfs a 2.5 tire.

Take a test ride of a few forks and let us know what you think. In the meantime, ill throw a few pictures of the asx up here sooner or later.

God Bless.

mtbr member
    do what adam *NWfreeride* said he has experience on the lyrik, totem and 66..
    I say you test a:

Totem 2 step (for weight/adjustability)

Lyrik coil w/ U-turn. (for coil butter, U-Turn adjust, and if you see it in person, its pretty big/burly)

66sl w. ata (for marzo butter/adujustability)

I'll tell you how i like my totem coil tomorrow when it comes in.

- happy riding!