mtbr member

New question here. Looking at a sb66A, questions.

I think the time has come to join the tribe. Been on a '13 stumpy evo for almost a year and looking for something different. So far the stumpy frame has been ok, the components, not so much. I have since found out I hate any press fit BB shells. The only reason I bought the stumpy was to replace my beloved 2010 Titus El Guapo. After replacing the stock revelation fork with a pike last month the bike has really came to life but I'm just not in love with it.

With the sb66, does the bike lose any performance running a 150mm fork? I notice it has specs for two different 150 forks but nothing about a 160? Having just bought this pike I'd really like to toss it on the yeti once it shows up. I have yet to hear back from sram about converting a 150 solo air pike to a 160 solo.

Is there enough clearance for a schwalbe hans dampf on the back? Alot of manufacturers say "enough room for 2.5" but fall short once the wheel and tire ar on.

Is there any change from year-year with the sb66 so far? I see a 650b is in the works but are 12,13 and 14 26" versions the same?

Any significant failures of the switch pivot?

Thanks for the info guys!

and is it wrong for my first yeti to be lime instead of turquoise?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    1 - Yeti designed the bike with a 150mm fork in mind. A 160 will work, but changes the geometry a bit (axle to crown on a Fox 160 is quite a bit taller than the 150) -- it won't be as nimble on the climbs. In another thread, one rider said he's been using a 170 without any issue. And Jared Graves took 3rd place this weekend at the Downhill Worlds with a 180 (certainly not common spec, but an impressive feat). I'm happy with 150mm up front (although I've considered replacing the Fox with a Pike), but have upgraded the rear suspension.

2 - 2014 aluminum SB66s get a carbon rear triangle. I hear pricing will remain the same (~$2250 MSRP for the frame) Shipping in October.

3 - For the sake of routine maintenance and not being able to leave anything alone, I recently rebuilt my SB66c and replaced all of the bearings after a year of hard riding. Only one in the switch eccentric really needed replacing. Overall I'm impressed with how well everything held up.

4 - I do believe lime will be discontinued in 2014. Colors for aluminum will be black, yellow and turquoise. Last year the sales for the closeouts started in October... some up to $600 off on frames and $800 off on build kits. Not a bad deal if you're not sold on the 2014 w/ carbon rear end.

It's a fun bike. You'll love it.

mtbr member
    To be honest I'm not a fan of carbon frames so It sounds like I should get to ordering soon!

Thanks for the info!

Awesomist™
    SB-66c here, I've owned it just over a year and have put over 1300 hard dirt miles on it. Serviced the switch assembly about a month ago for the first time and the only thing that needed replacing was the rubber bumper that covers the mechanical stop for the switch link. All bearings and pivots were in perfect shape.

I run 2.4" Big Bettys front and rear with zero clearance issues. 2.4" Nobby Nics also fit just fine, as do the bigger size of the Maxxis Ardents.

Mine has a 150mm travel Fox 34 up front and I ride it absolutely everywhere, occasionally including some steep, loose, technical dedicated DH shuttles trails near my place with no issues. My fork is a 2013, and I am considering replacing the FIT cartridge for the 2014 model which is said to have better compression damping, specifically mid-stroke support. I have found my fork bottoms really harshly on certain big hits, and this might help—but it's not really a frame issue now is it? So as for overall performance and geometry, I think the 150mm is spot on for the bike. YMMV. Also keep in mind that in the Fox lineup a 32, 34, and 36 will all have different axle-to-crown heights even at the same travel. Not sure where your Pike falls in with this.

That lime is badass, if I didn't want the carbon I'd have gotten the lime for sure.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Got a great deal on a 2013 race build, medium turquiose! Should be here in a week or so, can't wait. Thanks for the info.