Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,195

    Looking at getting a DJ

    So my next project is something I can ride urban/pump track/bmx park. After test riding some bmx cruisers and diet jumpers, the Yeti DJ test ride sold me on that frame.

    If you've built one up, can you give me any suggestions or things that may trip me up? I'm planning on running it geared. Thanks.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

  2. #2
    Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Reputation: swan3609's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    So my next project is something I can ride urban/pump track/bmx park. After test riding some bmx cruisers and diet jumpers, the Yeti DJ test ride sold me on that frame.

    If you've built one up, can you give me any suggestions or things that may trip me up? I'm planning on running it geared. Thanks.
    Be careful.. the DJ bike will get ya!! I have done lots of stupid stuff on lots of different bikes, but my dj bike was the one that broke my Scaphoid.. 12 weeks in a cast.. I just finished reading your wrist recovery thread BTW..

    But Seriously, the yeti DJ is a wicked bike.. I am hoping to replace my current dirt jump Frame with a Yeti DJ soon.. I have ridden a few different Yeti DJ's and I always have loved them.

    The Yeti DJ is very race inspired.. it is the fastest, most flickable, snappy-ist hard tail I have ridden.

    It is an awesome Pumptrack and BMX track bike that rips turns like no other bike I have ridden, but It would take me some time to get used to actually dirt jumping it on a big pack.. It just rode different then the DJ bikes I have owned.. Not bad, just different..

    I would say build it up with a solid 100mm fork, a cut down cassette to a 5 speed or so, a good chain guild, a widebar and let er rip..

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,300
    The DJ's geometry is pretty different from any other DJ bike I've looked at. I think that's what swan was referring to in saying it rode differently. It seems like it's more designed for 4x or some sort of mtb racing than the... bmx with 26" wheels that most DJ bikes seem designed for.

    The only thing I ran into with mine is 32:15 seems like the magic gear ratio that I want to be in 99% of the time I'm actually jumping (the others I have are really just for transiting to and from jump spots), but neither of the "standard" 9s mtb cassettes have a 15 (and this surprised me too; really 14 is too much, 16 is too little) so I went with a road bike cassette. That probably should have been obvious, but it wasn't to me.

  4. #4
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    The DJ's geometry is pretty different from any other DJ bike I've looked at. I think that's what swan was referring to in saying it rode differently. It seems like it's more designed for 4x or some sort of mtb racing than the... bmx with 26" wheels that most DJ bikes seem designed for.

    The only thing I ran into with mine is 32:15 seems like the magic gear ratio that I want to be in 99% of the time I'm actually jumping (the others I have are really just for transiting to and from jump spots), but neither of the "standard" 9s mtb cassettes have a 15 (and this surprised me too; really 14 is too much, 16 is too little) so I went with a road bike cassette. That probably should have been obvious, but it wasn't to me.
    I think that's what I like about it: it feels more like an MTB than an oversized BMX bike, but yet I can use it for the same purpose.

    I'm not really sure how much air I'm going to take on it, but we'll see. What I have in mind for the build so far:

    Yeti DJ frame (short)
    831 or Velvet
    11-28 road cassette, 34T in the front.
    Swan3609: Going to see if I can get it converted to a 5 speed. Thanks for the suggestion
    SLX components (maybe even cranks)
    760 Sunline bars
    standard seatpost (no need for a GD)
    Local LBS is going to get me the wheels.. whatever they recommend
    LG1 chainguide
    Flat pedals (not sure my straitlines would be ideal with those huge pins)
    Small block 8 tires
    70 or 65mm stem

    Not sure on the brakes yet. Obviously I don't need huge stoppers like on my AM bike, so I'm not sure what size rotors to put on it either.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jeremy R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    331
    I just got mine up and running a little over a week ago, and it is incredible. I had a really nice Jackal before I got the DJ, and I loved it for my pump track. But I am going to be racing alot more slalom this year so I decided to get the DJ as the medium fit me better as a race bike.
    What really surprised me about the DJ is how fast it is on pump tracks. It feels so solid and stable pushing through berms that it lets you carry more speed everywhere. I love this bike.
    Here is link to pics and a vid:

    Completed my yeti stable
    SEI Racing

  6. #6
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
    I just got mine up and running a little over a week ago, and it is incredible. I had a really nice Jackal before I got the DJ, and I loved it for my pump track. But I am going to be racing alot more slalom this year so I decided to get the DJ as the medium fit me better as a race bike.
    What really surprised me about the DJ is how fast it is on pump tracks. It feels so solid and stable pushing through berms that it lets you carry more speed everywhere. I love this bike.
    Here is link to pics and a vid:

    Completed my yeti stable
    I saw your thread Beautiful build. What fork are you running on it? I would love to put a 831 on it, but it's more expensive than the frame. Realistically, I'm looking at putting an X-Fusion Velvet (lowered to 100mm) on it.

    No current plans for racing, but it seems ideal for pump track, BMX track, urban and even some sad trials attempts (by me). We have a BMX track, a DJ track and a couple of campuses to play on, so this makes it a more realistic purchase than a DH bike (which I want, but can't justify with only a couple of trips to Northstar a year).

    Ordered my frame, so I should be able to have it paid for in a month. That's the first part... well, the first part was the saddle I found
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •