Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Likely building an SB95 this winter - but I'm on the cusp with sizing....

I'm 5'9" and with a motocross background (still very active with moto and off-road racing), I tend to prefer a larger-feeling MTB.

By every size chart out there, I should be on a Medium. I bought a new Giant Reign 1 this year, but the Medium felt like a little kids bike (the dealer even said that they mediums that year seemed unusually small).

Bought a Large and love the fit, although I did have to drop the stem all the way down, etc. But its good.

Now this winter I want to build a 29. Ideally a Yeti SB95, I think. Their charts show me being clearly in the Medium range (fitting up to 5'11") and I've heard they run bigger than most.

True? As a rule for me, a lot of Mediums tend to top-out at 5'10" which would clearly sway me to a Large without a doubt, but there are others that are more confusing. With Yeti showing 5'11", I'm not sure which route to go.

(it's winter here - hopping on a bike isn't much of an option).

Just curious if Yeti's charts are indeed accurately represented. I've read threads where guys are almost 6' riding a Medium Yeti, but that's not me; like I said, if there is room for doubt, I'll size up.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm a bit under 5'10" and am on a medium 95c with the stock 90mm stem. I slide the saddle all the way back in the rails and have even done so on a set back post and still feel like I could be on a large with shorter stem.

Bear is on a large. Here is a quote from him from a thread further down on the first page of this forum:

"FYI, me == 5' 9" (32" insteam), riding stock Large bike (90mm 10d stem, flipped, straight post with saddle centered on rails)."

This is the thread: SB 95 at 140?

I try to get my saddle back far as it relieves knee strain. That makes the front end light and wander a bit on climbs. If I switched from a medium to a large there would only be 0.8" increase in reach if I kept the fork at the stock 120. But I'd gain 1.1" of wheelbase.

If I switched to a large and bumped my fork up to 140 the increase in reach would only be 0.4" but the wheelbase increase would be 1.4". Since chain stay length would be identical that means the increase in wheelbase would be out in front of me, thereby helping keep the front end down.

By the way, the stack and reach measurements for the SB95 are only under the all alloy version: Yeti Cycles / Home

I'm a bit taller than Bear but my leg length measured barefoot is only 30" so I'm guessing I have a longer torso than he does.

I thought there was one other SB95 rider who was like 5'10" and on a large. Maybe Colin+M. I'll see if I can find the post. My shop has given me a few options for switching to a large so I've been digging through the archives a bit. I'll see if I can find the post I'm thinking of and reply to your thread again.
    Last edited by CJH; 12-03-2013 at 03:49 PM.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It wasn't Colin. Danish Dynamite wrote the following:

"I am 5.10 and with a 32" inseam. I feelt cramped on the medium and the large fit me perfect with a 70mm stem."

And here is the thread: SB-95... frame size M or L ?

Feel like I'm missing one more example.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I would read all of the Yeti SB95 Carbon Build / Photo Thread thread, but in particular pay attention to posts #250-270 or so. Some good discussion on fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    I'm a bit under 5'10" and am on a medium 95c with the stock 90mm stem. I slide the saddle all the way back in the rails and have even done so on a set back post and still feel like I could be on a large with shorter stem.

Bear is on a large. Here is a quote from him from a thread further down on the first page of this forum:

"FYI, me == 5' 9" (32" insteam), riding stock Large bike (90mm 10d stem, flipped, straight post with saddle centered on rails)."

This is the thread: SB 95 at 140?

I try to get my saddle back far as it relieves knee strain. That makes the front end light and wander a bit on climbs. If I switched from a medium to a large there would only be 0.8" increase in reach if I kept the fork at the stock 120. But I'd gain 1.1" of wheelbase.

If I switched to a large and bumped my fork up to 140 the increase in reach would only be 0.4" but the wheelbase increase would be 1.4". Since chain stay length would be identical that means the increase in wheelbase would be out in front of me, thereby helping keep the front end down.

By the way, the stack and reach measurements for the SB95 are only under the all alloy version: Yeti Cycles / Home

I'm a bit taller than Bear but my leg length measured barefoot is only 30" so I'm guessing I have a longer torso than he does.

I thought there was one other SB95 rider who was like 5'10" and on a large. Maybe Colin+M. I'll see if I can find the post. My shop has given me a few options for switching to a large so I've been digging through the archives a bit. I'll see if I can find the post I'm thinking of and reply to your thread again.
    You're awesome - thanks for the input.

And see, that's what I have done with every Medium I had - same thing. Push the saddle all the way back, and with one bike I was even running a 120mm stem. It blew, but I didn't know any better at the time. The last Medium I had (long story why I ended up with another medium) did fit me much much better. It was easy to adjust everything out and it felt good, but all adjustments were stretched out.

And that's another thing as you're saying: the specs aren't really *that* much different regarding stand-over and reach. With my current Reign, the head tube is a full 1" taller which is a lot, but stand over is not worth mentioning. No comparison on the Reign.

And with the SB95, I'm pretty sure I want to run 140mm up front too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would read all of the Yeti SB95 Carbon Build / Photo Thread thread, but in particular pay attention to posts #250-270 or so. Some good discussion on fit.
    I'll go through that - thanks again.

I want to go to one of my LBS and talk to them too, but they typically just always say "oh you're a medium". No, I'm not, typically. Sure? Yes. (It's funny how personal the fit is - I sold my last Medium to a guy that was almost 5'11". Weird.)

A local shop has a leftover SB95 for 3k, but the Enduro build. Just want to check that out.

So are you bumping up to a large?

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post

And see, that's what I have done with every Medium I had - same thing. Push the saddle all the way back, and with one bike I was even running a 120mm stem.
    To clarify I'll run my saddle back even if I switch to a large. Well, unless my knees get better and don't hurt with the more forward position.

Counter-intuitively, if I go to a large I'll likely end up with a more upright riding position, at least based on the simple math. If I run a large with a 140 fork but a 20 mm shorter stem, I'll have an overall shorter cockpit.

I've been reading some of the Yeti SB95 Carbon Build / Photo Thread thread posts more closely since my previous post in this thread.

Interesting that a Yeti rep told 5'10" tall Ojchild to go with a large and a 70 mm stem. Post #252 I might have to see if he lists his inseam or other measurements in some of his other posts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    To clarify I'll run my saddle back even if I switch to a large. Well, unless my knees get better and don't hurt with the more forward position.

Counter-intuitively, if I go to a large I'll likely end up with a more upright riding position, at least based on the simple math. If I run a large with a 140 fork but a 20 mm shorter stem, I'll have an overall shorter cockpit.

I've been reading some of the Yeti SB95 Carbon Build / Photo Thread thread posts more closely since my previous post in this thread.

Interesting that a Yeti rep told 5'10" tall Ojchild to go with a large and a 70 mm stem. Post #252 I might have to see if he lists his inseam or other measurements in some of his other posts.
    Oh ok (re: saddle adjustment) got it.

Yeah I buzzed through that thread too from #250 on. No dealer on earth will tell me to get a large at 5'9", that's why I'm in such a quandary about Yeti. Giant, I know I'm a large, but even by their size charts for their '14 bikes, I'm well within the Medium boundaries. Not sure what my deal is.

I am curious to see what the LBS will say though; last time I bought a new bike from them, they weren't very helpful with the size; just told me to ride both down the street (but with that one, the difference and choice was clear anyway)

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Sounds like OP needs a large, IMO.

FWIW, I now have a Specialized Command Post BlackLite, and with it's set-back clamp I have to either run the saddle way forward in the clamp, or flip the post backwards and run it somewhat back from middle, to get good pedal position.

I'm still happy with the stock stem. Have a 5mm spacer under, and that's it.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So are you bumping up to a large?
    I don't know. I'm pretty happy with my medium at 120 mm up front and I'm concerned that a large that would struggle more through tight, climbing switchbacks. If my chance to swap out fell through I don't think I'd be too disappointed. But after reading some of those threads today I'm thinking I should give a large a try once the show melts and the trails dry out.

What is your true inseam?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't know. I'm pretty happy with my medium at 120 mm up front and I'm concerned that a large that would struggle more through tight, climbing switchbacks. If my chance to swap out fell through I don't think I'd be too disappointed. But after reading some of those threads today I'm thinking I should give a large a try once the show melts and the trails dry out.

Wife just measured: measuring for pants I'm 29", to the floor is 30" according to her. I wear 30" jeans on the inseam. Sizing is such a ***** for bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

BTW, 120mm stem up front is crazy-long! I'm running the OE 90mm on my Large Reign and it's all good for me. I tried an 80 and didn't really see the need.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    BTW, 120mm stem up front is crazy-long! I'm running the OE 90mm on my Large Reign and it's all good for me. I tried an 80 and didn't really see the need.
    Whoops. My fork is set at 120 mm travel. That's what I meant by up front. I didn't mean stem length. My stem is the stock 90 mm.

It sounds like you have short legs like me. I have a friend who is your height. I'd say he's less than an inch shorter than me. We sat next to each other on a bench and put our arms straight up in the air and his fingertips only came up to a bit past my wrist. With that measurement it takes leg, neck and head length out of the equation.

For reference, he rides a FS 29er with 16.3" of reach, the same as my medium Yeti. I don't recall what size stem he runs. But back then the reach wasn't listed for either company and I truly thought I was doing the right thing by getting a medium. Now I'm not so sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I *almost* demo'd a Large SB95 yesterday but just got too busy. Now today we got nailed with a huge storm that pretty much puts the kibosh on anything 'til Spring.

I guess that is what I should do - demo the bike and see. I do think I'll go to the LBS to check out the leftover '13 and see how it fits just sitting on it. At least that'll give me a tiny idea.

I've never ridden any Yetis before, but 'always wanted one for various reasons. Guess demo'ing first would be the smart thing to do.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9.5" with a 33" (measured) inseam. I found the medium SB95 with a 70mm stem and 770mm bars to b a perfect fit for me. No offset on the seatpost. It was a proper fit IMHO.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" / 32" inseam.
    Riding a medium w/ 90mm stem and 150mm fork.

Dialed in!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It is funny that everybody is so different on fit , For what its worth the XL 95 is just about 1/2" ( 13 mm ) shorter / smaller in reach and height that all my other XL or XXL bikes .

I am only 6'3 but I have a long 36" inseam and my arms end to end are 6'6" long so actually the XL SB is almost short for me , then to make things worse I haft to have my seat way forward over the crank or my knees just scream .

So I still run an 80mm stem with 780mm bars to kinda fit me .

If my knees were good and I could have the seat back like it should be maybe I could have a slightly shorter stem.........but then when I get out of the saddle and pedal ( which I do constantly ) the 80mm stem is as short as I could go and still have some workable room in the cockpit to mash .

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    It is funny that everybody is so different on fit , For what its worth the XL 95 is just about 1/2" ( 13 mm ) shorter / smaller in reach and height that all my other XL or XXL bikes .

I am only 6'3 but I have a long 36" inseam and my arms end to end are 6'6" long so actually the XL SB is almost short for me , then to make things worse I haft to have my seat way forward over the crank or my knees just scream .

So I still run an 80mm stem with 780mm bars to kinda fit me .

If my knees were good and I could have the seat back like it should be maybe I could have a slightly shorter stem.........but then when I get out of the saddle and pedal ( which I do constantly ) the 80mm stem is as short as I could go and still have some workable room in the cockpit to mash .
    No kidding on the differences and personal preferences! I thought I kinda had it figured out, then you get a few answers on the other side of the spectrum to throw it all around.

I bet I'm a Large. But I also bet I could make a Medium work too. Being right near the middle range, I think they can both probably work and from past experience, I always like to size up to be safe. For me.

Every time I walk into a dealer to talk about new bikes they always say "well you're a Medium and we have one right there". With my first bike I went with their advice and hated it. Demo, demo, demo I guess.

So Kelstr - you have a 95C as I remember from your suspension videos. Was that a weight-savings issue for you, or feel? More than likely I'll go alloy based on price-alone, but if I can figure out a way to go carbon, I will.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It wasn't Colin. Danish Dynamite wrote the following:

"I am 5.10 and with a 32" inseam. I feelt cramped on the medium and the large fit me perfect with a 70mm stem."

And here is the thread: SB-95... frame size M or L ?

Feel like I'm missing one more example.
    By the way, I was looking at the SB75 VS 95 thread and regarding the guy that said "I grabbed a Large SB95 to demo and didn't even ride it because it looked ENORMOUS" - I felt the same way the first day I brought home my previous Large Reign. I took a good look at it and thought "no way, this thing is huge". But now I don't even think a thing about it.

If you get a chance to try a Large, do it and don't get too wrapped up into how it looks. I never once, ever think that my Large is too big. (but again, I'm talking about a different brand).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes I went with the 95C , for me it is just for stiffness , being that I generally ride XL or XXL the alloy big frames always have a lot of flex and I hate that feel and waste of power.

The other problem with big bikes is they are always heavier because there is more material so if I can save any weight at all it will be helpful in the end .

I hear you on getting into a bike that is too small , ( sizing up is generally the better way to go ) it really makes it hard to climb correctly and efficiently and the out of the saddle work really suffers , and that where I ride most of the time .

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    KGAmoto

While you're waiting for a demo large ride (which I think is a REALLY REALLY important thing for you at this point in the thread) there's another thing you can do to estimate size. It's the technique I used to figure out sizing for me, since I did not have any ability to demo any Yeti bikes before purchasing my 95a. Where I live has it's drawbacks.

My method is sort of based upon "effective reach" if you will, basically requires the bike to have a rigid structure from cranks to saddle to handlebars. It's not mathematically ideal nor perfect and doesn't try to be. But then every bike is a little different and small differences come into play when we put stems and headset spacers on, put on h-bars with different rise and sweep, etc. I think of that wiggle room as the normalizing or adjustment factor that is needed in the end.

Take your currently perfectly fitting/tuned bike - you have that, right?
    Get the seat tube length (center of BB to top tube junction point)
    Get the length of exposed seat post (from top of seat tube to saddle rails)
    Get the effective top tube length
    Get the length of the stem
    Add the last two together, I think of this as "effective reach"

I figure the bike will be close to ideal cockpit fit for you if the effective reach match to within +/- 10mm, ish, and the seat tube length is close enough - depending upon seat post you desire to use.

Obviously, if you have an inordinate number of stack washers on the headset between stem and top tube, to me that means more than 10mm, than TO ME you're currently riding a too-small frame - possibly for very good reasons, but it's still too small. Things like that need to be factored in.

In my case my other 29er is a Niner MCR-9 hard-tail, size medium (23.9" ETT and 16.5" ST), with a 100mm travel fork and 90mm stem.

The large 95a has a 24.1" ETT and 18" ST, and stock comes with 90mm stem.

The medium 95a is a full inch shorter on the ETT.

To me this meant that the medium 95a would work well for everything EXCEPT extended pedalling unless I put a longer stem on the front. I didn't want to change the steering behavior off-spec that much by lengthening the stem when I could just use the larger frame.

Both bikes have very deeply sloped physical top tubes, so standover wasn't an issue on either. Most of the "leggy" bikes these days (26ers too) do this. To me the seat-tube length is something to factor in because I was planning on putting a dropper post on the bike eventually and I wanted to make sure there would be room for at least a 4" dropper, preferably a 5" dropper. In my case the amount of exposed seat post was just slightly over what was necessary to support a 5" dropper, so that's plenty for me. I actually have a 125mm Command Post Blacklite on my bike and it works great. I have about 1/2 or 3/4 inch of exposed post below the mechanism - depending upon which saddle is on the bike. A taller saddle like a WTB Rocket would reduce this in comparison to the WTB Devo that I have on there now.

From your stated measurements I'm thinking you'd be limited to a 4" dropper on the large frame, as I appear to have more leg than you do.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Out of curiosity, what is the stock stem length for the medium 95 as it ships from Yeti?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    KGAmoto

While you're waiting for a demo large ride (which I think is a REALLY REALLY important thing for you at this point in the thread) there's another thing you can do to estimate size. It's the technique I used to figure out sizing for me, since I did not have any ability to demo any Yeti bikes before purchasing my 95a. Where I live has it's drawbacks.

My method is sort of based upon "effective reach" if you will, basically requires the bike to have a rigid structure from cranks to saddle to handlebars. It's not mathematically ideal nor perfect and doesn't try to be. But then every bike is a little different and small differences come into play when we put stems and headset spacers on, put on h-bars with different rise and sweep, etc. I think of that wiggle room as the normalizing or adjustment factor that is needed in the end.

Take your currently perfectly fitting/tuned bike - you have that, right?
    Get the seat tube length (center of BB to top tube junction point)
    Get the length of exposed seat post (from top of seat tube to saddle rails)
    Get the effective top tube length
    Get the length of the stem
    Add the last two together, I think of this as "effective reach"

I figure the bike will be close to ideal cockpit fit for you if the effective reach match to within +/- 10mm, ish, and the seat tube length is close enough - depending upon seat post you desire to use.

Obviously, if you have an inordinate number of stack washers on the headset between stem and top tube, to me that means more than 10mm, than TO ME you're currently riding a too-small frame - possibly for very good reasons, but it's still too small. Things like that need to be factored in.

In my case my other 29er is a Niner MCR-9 hard-tail, size medium (23.9" ETT and 16.5" ST), with a 100mm travel fork and 90mm stem.

The large 95a has a 24.1" ETT and 18" ST, and stock comes with 90mm stem.

The medium 95a is a full inch shorter on the ETT.

To me this meant that the medium 95a would work well for everything EXCEPT extended pedalling unless I put a longer stem on the front. I didn't want to change the steering behavior off-spec that much by lengthening the stem when I could just use the larger frame.

Both bikes have very deeply sloped physical top tubes, so standover wasn't an issue on either. Most of the "leggy" bikes these days (26ers too) do this. To me the seat-tube length is something to factor in because I was planning on putting a dropper post on the bike eventually and I wanted to make sure there would be room for at least a 4" dropper, preferably a 5" dropper. In my case the amount of exposed seat post was just slightly over what was necessary to support a 5" dropper, so that's plenty for me. I actually have a 125mm Command Post Blacklite on my bike and it works great. I have about 1/2 or 3/4 inch of exposed post below the mechanism - depending upon which saddle is on the bike. A taller saddle like a WTB Rocket would reduce this in comparison to the WTB Devo that I have on there now.

From your stated measurements I'm thinking you'd be limited to a 4" dropper on the large frame, as I appear to have more leg than you do.

Good luck.
    Holy cow that is thorough. You and CJH have put way more thought into fit than I ever have. I'll run through your suggestions and also see if a sit-and-fit at the dealer will help.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Holy cow that is thorough. You and CJH have put way more thought into fit than I ever have. I'll run through your suggestions and also see if a sit-and-fit at the dealer will help.
    Fit is very important to me. I have rides where I spend over 9-10 hours in the saddle. Bad fit in those conditions == pain and injury.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the stock stem length for the medium 95 as it ships from Yeti?
    That was going to be the first thing I did was measure the stem lengths on all the size bikes at the Yeti Demo , but it got canceled until January ....

The L bike has a 90 mm on it , thats the only bike I was able to demo when I was looking at Yetis, the bike was a OEM Enduro build so I would assume that is what it should have stock , .......Generally the XL bike would come with a 100mm and the medium should come with an 80mm.

But I really do not know for sure this is just what most makers use , .....I really loved my XL with the 50 on it but I could not get out of the saddle and charge or throw the bike around because the cockpit was to tight for me .

My goofy body really does not fit any bike makers chassis really well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast