Results 1 to 42 of 42
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012

    Likely building an SB95 this winter - but I'm on the cusp with sizing....

    I'm 5'9" and with a motocross background (still very active with moto and off-road racing), I tend to prefer a larger-feeling MTB.

    By every size chart out there, I should be on a Medium. I bought a new Giant Reign 1 this year, but the Medium felt like a little kids bike (the dealer even said that they mediums that year seemed unusually small).

    Bought a Large and love the fit, although I did have to drop the stem all the way down, etc. But its good.

    Now this winter I want to build a 29. Ideally a Yeti SB95, I think. Their charts show me being clearly in the Medium range (fitting up to 5'11") and I've heard they run bigger than most.

    True? As a rule for me, a lot of Mediums tend to top-out at 5'10" which would clearly sway me to a Large without a doubt, but there are others that are more confusing. With Yeti showing 5'11", I'm not sure which route to go.

    (it's winter here - hopping on a bike isn't much of an option).

    Just curious if Yeti's charts are indeed accurately represented. I've read threads where guys are almost 6' riding a Medium Yeti, but that's not me; like I said, if there is room for doubt, I'll size up.

  2. #2
    CJH
    CJH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    282
    I'm a bit under 5'10" and am on a medium 95c with the stock 90mm stem. I slide the saddle all the way back in the rails and have even done so on a set back post and still feel like I could be on a large with shorter stem.

    Bear is on a large. Here is a quote from him from a thread further down on the first page of this forum:

    "FYI, me == 5' 9" (32" insteam), riding stock Large bike (90mm 10d stem, flipped, straight post with saddle centered on rails)."

    This is the thread: SB 95 at 140?

    I try to get my saddle back far as it relieves knee strain. That makes the front end light and wander a bit on climbs. If I switched from a medium to a large there would only be 0.8" increase in reach if I kept the fork at the stock 120. But I'd gain 1.1" of wheelbase.

    If I switched to a large and bumped my fork up to 140 the increase in reach would only be 0.4" but the wheelbase increase would be 1.4". Since chain stay length would be identical that means the increase in wheelbase would be out in front of me, thereby helping keep the front end down.

    By the way, the stack and reach measurements for the SB95 are only under the all alloy version: Yeti Cycles / Home

    I'm a bit taller than Bear but my leg length measured barefoot is only 30" so I'm guessing I have a longer torso than he does.

    I thought there was one other SB95 rider who was like 5'10" and on a large. Maybe Colin+M. I'll see if I can find the post. My shop has given me a few options for switching to a large so I've been digging through the archives a bit. I'll see if I can find the post I'm thinking of and reply to your thread again.
    Last edited by CJH; 12-03-2013 at 04:49 PM.

  3. #3
    CJH
    CJH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    282
    It wasn't Colin. Danish Dynamite wrote the following:

    "I am 5.10 and with a 32" inseam. I feelt cramped on the medium and the large fit me perfect with a 70mm stem."

    And here is the thread: SB-95... frame size M or L ?

    Feel like I'm missing one more example.

  4. #4
    CJH
    CJH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    282
    I would read all of the Yeti SB95 Carbon Build / Photo Thread thread, but in particular pay attention to posts #250-270 or so. Some good discussion on fit.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    I'm a bit under 5'10" and am on a medium 95c with the stock 90mm stem. I slide the saddle all the way back in the rails and have even done so on a set back post and still feel like I could be on a large with shorter stem.

    Bear is on a large. Here is a quote from him from a thread further down on the first page of this forum:

    "FYI, me == 5' 9" (32" insteam), riding stock Large bike (90mm 10d stem, flipped, straight post with saddle centered on rails)."

    This is the thread: SB 95 at 140?

    I try to get my saddle back far as it relieves knee strain. That makes the front end light and wander a bit on climbs. If I switched from a medium to a large there would only be 0.8" increase in reach if I kept the fork at the stock 120. But I'd gain 1.1" of wheelbase.

    If I switched to a large and bumped my fork up to 140 the increase in reach would only be 0.4" but the wheelbase increase would be 1.4". Since chain stay length would be identical that means the increase in wheelbase would be out in front of me, thereby helping keep the front end down.

    By the way, the stack and reach measurements for the SB95 are only under the all alloy version: Yeti Cycles / Home

    I'm a bit taller than Bear but my leg length measured barefoot is only 30" so I'm guessing I have a longer torso than he does.

    I thought there was one other SB95 rider who was like 5'10" and on a large. Maybe Colin+M. I'll see if I can find the post. My shop has given me a few options for switching to a large so I've been digging through the archives a bit. I'll see if I can find the post I'm thinking of and reply to your thread again.
    You're awesome - thanks for the input.

    And see, that's what I have done with every Medium I had - same thing. Push the saddle all the way back, and with one bike I was even running a 120mm stem. It blew, but I didn't know any better at the time. The last Medium I had (long story why I ended up with another medium) did fit me much much better. It was easy to adjust everything out and it felt good, but all adjustments were stretched out.

    And that's another thing as you're saying: the specs aren't really *that* much different regarding stand-over and reach. With my current Reign, the head tube is a full 1" taller which is a lot, but stand over is not worth mentioning. No comparison on the Reign.

    And with the SB95, I'm pretty sure I want to run 140mm up front too.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    I would read all of the Yeti SB95 Carbon Build / Photo Thread thread, but in particular pay attention to posts #250-270 or so. Some good discussion on fit.
    I'll go through that - thanks again.

    I want to go to one of my LBS and talk to them too, but they typically just always say "oh you're a medium". No, I'm not, typically. Sure? Yes. (It's funny how personal the fit is - I sold my last Medium to a guy that was almost 5'11". Weird.)

    A local shop has a leftover SB95 for 3k, but the Enduro build. Just want to check that out.

    So are you bumping up to a large?

  7. #7
    CJH
    CJH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post

    And see, that's what I have done with every Medium I had - same thing. Push the saddle all the way back, and with one bike I was even running a 120mm stem.
    To clarify I'll run my saddle back even if I switch to a large. Well, unless my knees get better and don't hurt with the more forward position.

    Counter-intuitively, if I go to a large I'll likely end up with a more upright riding position, at least based on the simple math. If I run a large with a 140 fork but a 20 mm shorter stem, I'll have an overall shorter cockpit.

    I've been reading some of the Yeti SB95 Carbon Build / Photo Thread thread posts more closely since my previous post in this thread.

    Interesting that a Yeti rep told 5'10" tall Ojchild to go with a large and a 70 mm stem. Post #252 I might have to see if he lists his inseam or other measurements in some of his other posts.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    To clarify I'll run my saddle back even if I switch to a large. Well, unless my knees get better and don't hurt with the more forward position.

    Counter-intuitively, if I go to a large I'll likely end up with a more upright riding position, at least based on the simple math. If I run a large with a 140 fork but a 20 mm shorter stem, I'll have an overall shorter cockpit.

    I've been reading some of the Yeti SB95 Carbon Build / Photo Thread thread posts more closely since my previous post in this thread.

    Interesting that a Yeti rep told 5'10" tall Ojchild to go with a large and a 70 mm stem. Post #252 I might have to see if he lists his inseam or other measurements in some of his other posts.
    Oh ok (re: saddle adjustment) got it.

    Yeah I buzzed through that thread too from #250 on. No dealer on earth will tell me to get a large at 5'9", that's why I'm in such a quandary about Yeti. Giant, I know I'm a large, but even by their size charts for their '14 bikes, I'm well within the Medium boundaries. Not sure what my deal is.

    I am curious to see what the LBS will say though; last time I bought a new bike from them, they weren't very helpful with the size; just told me to ride both down the street (but with that one, the difference and choice was clear anyway)

  9. #9
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,728
    Sounds like OP needs a large, IMO.

    FWIW, I now have a Specialized Command Post BlackLite, and with it's set-back clamp I have to either run the saddle way forward in the clamp, or flip the post backwards and run it somewhat back from middle, to get good pedal position.

    I'm still happy with the stock stem. Have a 5mm spacer under, and that's it.

  10. #10
    CJH
    CJH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    So are you bumping up to a large?
    I don't know. I'm pretty happy with my medium at 120 mm up front and I'm concerned that a large that would struggle more through tight, climbing switchbacks. If my chance to swap out fell through I don't think I'd be too disappointed. But after reading some of those threads today I'm thinking I should give a large a try once the show melts and the trails dry out.

    What is your true inseam?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    I don't know. I'm pretty happy with my medium at 120 mm up front and I'm concerned that a large that would struggle more through tight, climbing switchbacks. If my chance to swap out fell through I don't think I'd be too disappointed. But after reading some of those threads today I'm thinking I should give a large a try once the show melts and the trails dry out.

    What is your true inseam?
    Wife just measured: measuring for pants I'm 29", to the floor is 30" according to her. I wear 30" jeans on the inseam. Sizing is such a ***** for bikes.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    I don't know. I'm pretty happy with my medium at 120 mm up front and I'm concerned that a large that would struggle more through tight, climbing switchbacks. If my chance to swap out fell through I don't think I'd be too disappointed. But after reading some of those threads today I'm thinking I should give a large a try once the show melts and the trails dry out.

    What is your true inseam?
    BTW, 120mm stem up front is crazy-long! I'm running the OE 90mm on my Large Reign and it's all good for me. I tried an 80 and didn't really see the need.

  13. #13
    CJH
    CJH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    BTW, 120mm stem up front is crazy-long! I'm running the OE 90mm on my Large Reign and it's all good for me. I tried an 80 and didn't really see the need.
    Whoops. My fork is set at 120 mm travel. That's what I meant by up front. I didn't mean stem length. My stem is the stock 90 mm.

    It sounds like you have short legs like me. I have a friend who is your height. I'd say he's less than an inch shorter than me. We sat next to each other on a bench and put our arms straight up in the air and his fingertips only came up to a bit past my wrist. With that measurement it takes leg, neck and head length out of the equation.

    For reference, he rides a FS 29er with 16.3" of reach, the same as my medium Yeti. I don't recall what size stem he runs. But back then the reach wasn't listed for either company and I truly thought I was doing the right thing by getting a medium. Now I'm not so sure.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    I *almost* demo'd a Large SB95 yesterday but just got too busy. Now today we got nailed with a huge storm that pretty much puts the kibosh on anything 'til Spring.

    I guess that is what I should do - demo the bike and see. I do think I'll go to the LBS to check out the leftover '13 and see how it fits just sitting on it. At least that'll give me a tiny idea.

    I've never ridden any Yetis before, but 'always wanted one for various reasons. Guess demo'ing first would be the smart thing to do.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,332
    I'm 5'9.5" with a 33" (measured) inseam. I found the medium SB95 with a 70mm stem and 770mm bars to b a perfect fit for me. No offset on the seatpost. It was a proper fit IMHO.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: client_9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    818
    I'm 5'11" / 32" inseam.
    Riding a medium w/ 90mm stem and 150mm fork.

    Dialed in!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,044
    It is funny that everybody is so different on fit , For what its worth the XL 95 is just about 1/2" ( 13 mm ) shorter / smaller in reach and height that all my other XL or XXL bikes .

    I am only 6'3 but I have a long 36" inseam and my arms end to end are 6'6" long so actually the XL SB is almost short for me , then to make things worse I haft to have my seat way forward over the crank or my knees just scream .

    So I still run an 80mm stem with 780mm bars to kinda fit me .

    If my knees were good and I could have the seat back like it should be maybe I could have a slightly shorter stem.........but then when I get out of the saddle and pedal ( which I do constantly ) the 80mm stem is as short as I could go and still have some workable room in the cockpit to mash .

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    It is funny that everybody is so different on fit , For what its worth the XL 95 is just about 1/2" ( 13 mm ) shorter / smaller in reach and height that all my other XL or XXL bikes .

    I am only 6'3 but I have a long 36" inseam and my arms end to end are 6'6" long so actually the XL SB is almost short for me , then to make things worse I haft to have my seat way forward over the crank or my knees just scream .

    So I still run an 80mm stem with 780mm bars to kinda fit me .

    If my knees were good and I could have the seat back like it should be maybe I could have a slightly shorter stem.........but then when I get out of the saddle and pedal ( which I do constantly ) the 80mm stem is as short as I could go and still have some workable room in the cockpit to mash .
    No kidding on the differences and personal preferences! I thought I kinda had it figured out, then you get a few answers on the other side of the spectrum to throw it all around.

    I bet I'm a Large. But I also bet I could make a Medium work too. Being right near the middle range, I think they can both probably work and from past experience, I always like to size up to be safe. For me.

    Every time I walk into a dealer to talk about new bikes they always say "well you're a Medium and we have one right there". With my first bike I went with their advice and hated it. Demo, demo, demo I guess.

    So Kelstr - you have a 95C as I remember from your suspension videos. Was that a weight-savings issue for you, or feel? More than likely I'll go alloy based on price-alone, but if I can figure out a way to go carbon, I will.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    It wasn't Colin. Danish Dynamite wrote the following:

    "I am 5.10 and with a 32" inseam. I feelt cramped on the medium and the large fit me perfect with a 70mm stem."

    And here is the thread: SB-95... frame size M or L ?

    Feel like I'm missing one more example.
    By the way, I was looking at the SB75 VS 95 thread and regarding the guy that said "I grabbed a Large SB95 to demo and didn't even ride it because it looked ENORMOUS" - I felt the same way the first day I brought home my previous Large Reign. I took a good look at it and thought "no way, this thing is huge". But now I don't even think a thing about it.

    If you get a chance to try a Large, do it and don't get too wrapped up into how it looks. I never once, ever think that my Large is too big. (but again, I'm talking about a different brand).

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,044
    Yes I went with the 95C , for me it is just for stiffness , being that I generally ride XL or XXL the alloy big frames always have a lot of flex and I hate that feel and waste of power.

    The other problem with big bikes is they are always heavier because there is more material so if I can save any weight at all it will be helpful in the end .

    I hear you on getting into a bike that is too small , ( sizing up is generally the better way to go ) it really makes it hard to climb correctly and efficiently and the out of the saddle work really suffers , and that where I ride most of the time .

  21. #21
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,728
    KGAmoto

    While you're waiting for a demo large ride (which I think is a REALLY REALLY important thing for you at this point in the thread) there's another thing you can do to estimate size. It's the technique I used to figure out sizing for me, since I did not have any ability to demo any Yeti bikes before purchasing my 95a. Where I live has it's drawbacks.

    My method is sort of based upon "effective reach" if you will, basically requires the bike to have a rigid structure from cranks to saddle to handlebars. It's not mathematically ideal nor perfect and doesn't try to be. But then every bike is a little different and small differences come into play when we put stems and headset spacers on, put on h-bars with different rise and sweep, etc. I think of that wiggle room as the normalizing or adjustment factor that is needed in the end.

    Take your currently perfectly fitting/tuned bike - you have that, right?
    Get the seat tube length (center of BB to top tube junction point)
    Get the length of exposed seat post (from top of seat tube to saddle rails)
    Get the effective top tube length
    Get the length of the stem
    Add the last two together, I think of this as "effective reach"

    I figure the bike will be close to ideal cockpit fit for you if the effective reach match to within +/- 10mm, ish, and the seat tube length is close enough - depending upon seat post you desire to use.

    Obviously, if you have an inordinate number of stack washers on the headset between stem and top tube, to me that means more than 10mm, than TO ME you're currently riding a too-small frame - possibly for very good reasons, but it's still too small. Things like that need to be factored in.

    In my case my other 29er is a Niner MCR-9 hard-tail, size medium (23.9" ETT and 16.5" ST), with a 100mm travel fork and 90mm stem.

    The large 95a has a 24.1" ETT and 18" ST, and stock comes with 90mm stem.

    The medium 95a is a full inch shorter on the ETT.

    To me this meant that the medium 95a would work well for everything EXCEPT extended pedalling unless I put a longer stem on the front. I didn't want to change the steering behavior off-spec that much by lengthening the stem when I could just use the larger frame.

    Both bikes have very deeply sloped physical top tubes, so standover wasn't an issue on either. Most of the "leggy" bikes these days (26ers too) do this. To me the seat-tube length is something to factor in because I was planning on putting a dropper post on the bike eventually and I wanted to make sure there would be room for at least a 4" dropper, preferably a 5" dropper. In my case the amount of exposed seat post was just slightly over what was necessary to support a 5" dropper, so that's plenty for me. I actually have a 125mm Command Post Blacklite on my bike and it works great. I have about 1/2 or 3/4 inch of exposed post below the mechanism - depending upon which saddle is on the bike. A taller saddle like a WTB Rocket would reduce this in comparison to the WTB Devo that I have on there now.

    From your stated measurements I'm thinking you'd be limited to a 4" dropper on the large frame, as I appear to have more leg than you do.

    Good luck.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trumpus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    633
    Out of curiosity, what is the stock stem length for the medium 95 as it ships from Yeti?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    KGAmoto

    While you're waiting for a demo large ride (which I think is a REALLY REALLY important thing for you at this point in the thread) there's another thing you can do to estimate size. It's the technique I used to figure out sizing for me, since I did not have any ability to demo any Yeti bikes before purchasing my 95a. Where I live has it's drawbacks.

    My method is sort of based upon "effective reach" if you will, basically requires the bike to have a rigid structure from cranks to saddle to handlebars. It's not mathematically ideal nor perfect and doesn't try to be. But then every bike is a little different and small differences come into play when we put stems and headset spacers on, put on h-bars with different rise and sweep, etc. I think of that wiggle room as the normalizing or adjustment factor that is needed in the end.

    Take your currently perfectly fitting/tuned bike - you have that, right?
    Get the seat tube length (center of BB to top tube junction point)
    Get the length of exposed seat post (from top of seat tube to saddle rails)
    Get the effective top tube length
    Get the length of the stem
    Add the last two together, I think of this as "effective reach"

    I figure the bike will be close to ideal cockpit fit for you if the effective reach match to within +/- 10mm, ish, and the seat tube length is close enough - depending upon seat post you desire to use.

    Obviously, if you have an inordinate number of stack washers on the headset between stem and top tube, to me that means more than 10mm, than TO ME you're currently riding a too-small frame - possibly for very good reasons, but it's still too small. Things like that need to be factored in.

    In my case my other 29er is a Niner MCR-9 hard-tail, size medium (23.9" ETT and 16.5" ST), with a 100mm travel fork and 90mm stem.

    The large 95a has a 24.1" ETT and 18" ST, and stock comes with 90mm stem.

    The medium 95a is a full inch shorter on the ETT.

    To me this meant that the medium 95a would work well for everything EXCEPT extended pedalling unless I put a longer stem on the front. I didn't want to change the steering behavior off-spec that much by lengthening the stem when I could just use the larger frame.

    Both bikes have very deeply sloped physical top tubes, so standover wasn't an issue on either. Most of the "leggy" bikes these days (26ers too) do this. To me the seat-tube length is something to factor in because I was planning on putting a dropper post on the bike eventually and I wanted to make sure there would be room for at least a 4" dropper, preferably a 5" dropper. In my case the amount of exposed seat post was just slightly over what was necessary to support a 5" dropper, so that's plenty for me. I actually have a 125mm Command Post Blacklite on my bike and it works great. I have about 1/2 or 3/4 inch of exposed post below the mechanism - depending upon which saddle is on the bike. A taller saddle like a WTB Rocket would reduce this in comparison to the WTB Devo that I have on there now.

    From your stated measurements I'm thinking you'd be limited to a 4" dropper on the large frame, as I appear to have more leg than you do.

    Good luck.
    Holy cow that is thorough. You and CJH have put way more thought into fit than I ever have. I'll run through your suggestions and also see if a sit-and-fit at the dealer will help.

  24. #24
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,728
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Holy cow that is thorough. You and CJH have put way more thought into fit than I ever have. I'll run through your suggestions and also see if a sit-and-fit at the dealer will help.
    Fit is very important to me. I have rides where I spend over 9-10 hours in the saddle. Bad fit in those conditions == pain and injury.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the stock stem length for the medium 95 as it ships from Yeti?
    That was going to be the first thing I did was measure the stem lengths on all the size bikes at the Yeti Demo , but it got canceled until January ....

    The L bike has a 90 mm on it , thats the only bike I was able to demo when I was looking at Yetis, the bike was a OEM Enduro build so I would assume that is what it should have stock , .......Generally the XL bike would come with a 100mm and the medium should come with an 80mm.

    But I really do not know for sure this is just what most makers use , .....I really loved my XL with the 50 on it but I could not get out of the saddle and charge or throw the bike around because the cockpit was to tight for me .

    My goofy body really does not fit any bike makers chassis really well

  26. #26
    CJH
    CJH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the stock stem length for the medium 95 as it ships from Yeti?
    This is the stock stem on my medium. Holding the tape measure and my phone was kind of awkward but I got it lined up close enough.

    Likely building an SB95 this winter - but I'm on the cusp with sizing....-img_20131204_154605_953.jpg

    90 mm = 3.54".

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    This is the stock stem on my medium. Holding the tape measure and my phone was kind of awkward but I got it lined up close enough.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131204_154605_953.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	852046

    90 mm = 3.54".
    Well Ill be a monkeys uncle , I would not have thought a 90 on a medium .

    It will kill me if they run a 90 on all sizes of the 95 , that just seems strange to me .
    If you have the room "with in" your cockpit,
    I would bet you could experiment and get acoupple cheep stems from "Jenson" like a 50, and 60 and you could see what its feels like and if you like it really playful this would be a great option

    I sure loved mine with a 50 , .....I wish I could leave it on there but sadly I cannot

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the stock stem length for the medium 95 as it ships from Yeti?
    My medium came with 90mm

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

  29. #29
    CJH
    CJH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    Well Ill be a monkeys uncle , I would not have thought a 90 on a medium .

    It will kill me if they run a 90 on all sizes of the 95 , that just seems strange to me .
    If you have the room "with in" your cockpit,
    I would bet you could experiment and get acoupple cheep stems from "Jenson" like a 50, and 60 and you could see what its feels like and if you like it really playful this would be a great option

    I sure loved mine with a 50 , .....I wish I could leave it on there but sadly I cannot
    It seems like at least one Yeti rep and one group of magazine test riders think the SB95 should be ran with a shorter than stock stem. I may have to give that a try.

    Once the snow melts and trails dry I'll probably take the shop's large out with a shorter stem. I can't take it to the more rocky trails in my area but I can take it to groomed trail system that is steep enough and has tight enough turns for me to see if the large will help with my climbing issues without hindering tight turns too much.

    Kelstr, does the stock Fox 34 have the FIT cartridge? I was reading this morning that Push can only work on 34's with the FIT cartridge. I know Yeti specs theirs with an older air spring but I'm not sure if it's considered FIT.

    I was going to Push my 34 before trying the Pike. My rationale was that I'll likely keep the 34 for possibly building a 29er+ bike in the future and would have it Pushed anyways. My LBS went over my 34 and the first few inches are now great. The last two, not so much.

  30. #30
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,728
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    ... does the stock Fox 34 have the FIT cartridge?
    Most of the models, yes. I think for '13 the 'rock' build uses a RockShox fork (or maybe that was the '66?), and there's '14 models that don't use the Fox fork, but if it's a Fox then I think it's FIT right now.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    A LBS has a leftover '13 SB95a Enduro build on sale for $2999. That would be tough to beat against building my own. Might go look at it tomorrow morning. Maybe I can convince the wife that she needs an SB75 too, so I can have both...

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    It seems like at least one Yeti rep and one group of magazine test riders think the SB95 should be ran with a shorter than stock stem. I may have to give that a try.
    YMMV, however I'm 5'11'' and the shop ordered me a medium. I took it for a test ride and went up to the large. Rode for maybe about a year with the stock stem and bars. Then upgraded based on what I heard here to wider bars (750) and a 50mm stem. It's amazingly better and I highly recommend it.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Alright CJH and anyone who is paying attention to this - I found a '12 alloy SB95 frame very reasonably priced. But it's a Medium, which technically should easily fit me, according to their charts like we've discussed.

    The seller is saying the bearings have recently been serviced (not sure if that just means re-packed or replaced). Is the Switch setup high maintenance? Supposedly this frame does not have much time on it as it was a secondary bike, but if he serviced the bearings (I only see two sealed bearings anyway), maybe it has been through the paces. But photos look very good.

    At the price of the frame (under 1k), I could pretty easily build this bike up with some pretty good stuff (all XT) and still be under $2700 total from my estimates, maybe even less if I take my time looking for deals).

    Kinda feel like I can't lose? Unless of course the sizing is off, or if I just don't gel with the bike, but in that case, big deal, I'm sure I could sell it and at the very least, get my money back + time for the build.

    It's a total whim to buy a bike without a demo, but I can't be the only one that's taken the shot.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    KGAmoto

    While you're waiting for a demo large ride (which I think is a REALLY REALLY important thing for you at this point in the thread) there's another thing you can do to estimate size. It's the technique I used to figure out sizing for me, since I did not have any ability to demo any Yeti bikes before purchasing my 95a. Where I live has it's drawbacks.

    My method is sort of based upon "effective reach" if you will, basically requires the bike to have a rigid structure from cranks to saddle to handlebars. It's not mathematically ideal nor perfect and doesn't try to be. But then every bike is a little different and small differences come into play when we put stems and headset spacers on, put on h-bars with different rise and sweep, etc. I think of that wiggle room as the normalizing or adjustment factor that is needed in the end.

    Take your currently perfectly fitting/tuned bike - you have that, right?
    Get the seat tube length (center of BB to top tube junction point)
    Get the length of exposed seat post (from top of seat tube to saddle rails)
    Get the effective top tube length
    Get the length of the stem
    Add the last two together, I think of this as "effective reach"

    I figure the bike will be close to ideal cockpit fit for you if the effective reach match to within +/- 10mm, ish, and the seat tube length is close enough - depending upon seat post you desire to use.

    Obviously, if you have an inordinate number of stack washers on the headset between stem and top tube, to me that means more than 10mm, than TO ME you're currently riding a too-small frame - possibly for very good reasons, but it's still too small. Things like that need to be factored in.

    In my case my other 29er is a Niner MCR-9 hard-tail, size medium (23.9" ETT and 16.5" ST), with a 100mm travel fork and 90mm stem.

    The large 95a has a 24.1" ETT and 18" ST, and stock comes with 90mm stem.

    The medium 95a is a full inch shorter on the ETT.

    To me this meant that the medium 95a would work well for everything EXCEPT extended pedalling unless I put a longer stem on the front. I didn't want to change the steering behavior off-spec that much by lengthening the stem when I could just use the larger frame.

    Both bikes have very deeply sloped physical top tubes, so standover wasn't an issue on either. Most of the "leggy" bikes these days (26ers too) do this. To me the seat-tube length is something to factor in because I was planning on putting a dropper post on the bike eventually and I wanted to make sure there would be room for at least a 4" dropper, preferably a 5" dropper. In my case the amount of exposed seat post was just slightly over what was necessary to support a 5" dropper, so that's plenty for me. I actually have a 125mm Command Post Blacklite on my bike and it works great. I have about 1/2 or 3/4 inch of exposed post below the mechanism - depending upon which saddle is on the bike. A taller saddle like a WTB Rocket would reduce this in comparison to the WTB Devo that I have on there now.

    From your stated measurements I'm thinking you'd be limited to a 4" dropper on the large frame, as I appear to have more leg than you do.

    Good luck.
    I just went to a local Yeti LBS - they have a leftover '13 SB 95 Enduro in a Medium and a DEMO '13 SB 95 Race in a Large. They were cool enough to let me ride both - even the brand-new Medium (on salt-covered sidewalks, which made me hesitant).

    The Large demo felt right at home. I bumped the seat up a couple times while pedaling around on the sidewalks (terrible environment but much better than merely guessing) - that is my only fear; my seat-of-the-pants fit of where to put the seat post, did not have much sticking out of the frame (plenty in all reality, but i'm referring to where-or-not I'll have enough space to run a drop post, which is mandatory to me). That is the only iffy scenario.

    I really could get away with both. The Medium felt fine too, but its so hard to tell. When I've bought mediums before, I kinda regretted it and really, they BOTH felt good.

    But get this - the DEMO (which was pretty clean - just a few scuffs in the crank arms and a couple nicks on the frame) - again this is the Race build - he said he'd sell it to me for 2900. I don't think there is any way I could beat that price. I could ride it for a year, and not lose a dime on the resale (or very, very close).

  35. #35
    CJH
    CJH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    The Large demo felt right at home. I bumped the seat up a couple times while pedaling around on the sidewalks (terrible environment but much better than merely guessing) - that is my only fear; my seat-of-the-pants fit of where to put the seat post, did not have much sticking out of the frame (plenty in all reality, but i'm referring to where-or-not I'll have enough space to run a drop post, which is mandatory to me). That is the only iffy scenario.

    But get this - the DEMO (which was pretty clean - just a few scuffs in the crank arms and a couple nicks on the frame) - again this is the Race build - he said he'd sell it to me for 2900. I don't think there is any way I could beat that price. I could ride it for a year, and not lose a dime on the resale (or very, very close).
    Did both have the same length stem? 90 mm?

    I'd try very hard to ride that large again with a 4" travel dropper post. I'm running a 4" Reverb on my medium. I could run a 5" on the medium and have a bit to spare but the shop had the 4" in stock and I already had it in the back of my head that I might upgrade to the large so I just went with it.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    Did both have the same length stem? 90 mm?

    I'd try very hard to ride that large again with a 4" travel dropper post. I'm running a 4" Reverb on my medium. I could run a 5" on the medium and have a bit to spare but the shop had the 4" in stock and I already had it in the back of my head that I might upgrade to the large so I just went with it.
    Yeah I know the large had the Thomson 90mm...and I believe the Medium had a 90 too. I did take notice, but did not measure the medium or check for sure. It was about 9 degrees outside, and I felt terrible riding a brand new bike on a salty sidewalk, so I was pretty unfocused while trying out that Medium - all I took away was the fact that either one could work for me; pretty sure of that (except the stem was at the top of the stack on the Medium and felt low already - of course the Large was spot on with a ton of adjustability up and down).

    But also, I've never owned a 29 and only demo'd one once, so the gigantic-looking wheel in front of me was really throwing me off too. It was really hard to focus on the bike as a whole without getting caught up in the huge wheel rolling in front of my eyes).

    And yep, that is what I was thinking about taking my post in there - I want to take my drop post there tomorrow and pop that in to see how it fits. I have the Giant Contact Switch post which is 15" long and 4" of adjustability. I need to take that in there tomorrow and see; good idea.

    If it does not fit, I'm assuming that is a tell-tale sign that I need to size down I suppose...(which is a bummer, this is such a great deal, demo or not - I'm too cheap to drop 5k on the Race build, but would love to have it for this price).

    FWIW, I feel a 4" travel post has always been plenty for me. I guess 5" would be even better, but with my current bike, 4" is all I could run - I don't have much room to spare on that bike either (probably 1", which is a large too).

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    49
    5'9 here with 31 inseam with no shoes. Ride a medium with 50mm stem. Great fit for me

  38. #38
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,728
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    FWIW, I feel a 4" travel post has always been plenty for me. I guess 5" would be even better, but with my current bike, 4" is all I could run - I don't have much room to spare on that bike either (probably 1", which is a large too).
    Should be plenty.

    If I'd had to spend Real Money I don't know which I would have ended up with, but got a bro-deal on the 125mm Command Post Blacklite and been happy with it. Glad it works for me. Gotta say that with the seat slammed the bike really puts me in a "DH frame of mind."

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Should be plenty.

    If I'd had to spend Real Money I don't know which I would have ended up with, but got a bro-deal on the 125mm Command Post Blacklite and been happy with it. Glad it works for me. Gotta say that with the seat slammed the bike really puts me in a "DH frame of mind."
    Oh yeah - a drop post is mandatory for me from here on out. I've used them for the past two seasons and would never look back.

    I've been breezing over the dimension differences between a medium and large. There are only a few key spots where the differences stand out and each is about within an inch. The biggest gap is the seat tube itself: 1/5" longer on the larger. All else is within an inch (which seems standard among most manufactures). To me that just isn't that drastic though. And I'd like to try a shorter stem to see what that does for handing, which would be much easier for me with a large (I have long arms).

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Went to shop today to test my drop post. That was fine.

    Was talking to the mechanic and as I pulled my post off, I noticed a scale hanging. We threw it on the scale - with big flats on it, but NO seat post or saddle.

    30.4 lbs (large)

    Is that what these things weigh??!! I was surprised it was that much, even with big pedals...but no post or saddle?

    I would probably put lighter Continental tires on it (over the Maxxis), go tubeless for sure, but then with a dropper and XT pedals... can I assume it will still hover right at 30 pounds?

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: client_9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    .....

    30.4 lbs (large)

    Is that what these things weigh??!! I was surprised it was that much, even with big pedals...but no post or saddle?

    I would probably put lighter Continental tires on it (over the Maxxis), go tubeless for sure, but then with a dropper and XT pedals... can I assume it will still hover right at 30 pounds?
    FWIW, my size medium build (XT drivetrain, Flow rims / big tires, dropper, etc...)
    is ~30 lbs. Just the frame is 7.5 lbs.


  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Is that what these things weigh??!!
    The frame weight is totally reasonable, but unless you are willing to drop a ton of money big wheels (and the rubber that goes on them) are heavy.

Similar Threads

  1. Winter base building ?
    By ChrisJ in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-24-2013, 11:49 AM
  2. On the cusp.
    By mikesee in forum Passion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-08-2013, 11:04 PM
  3. Replies: 110
    Last Post: 06-01-2013, 03:16 AM
  4. SB95 sizing advice
    By bear in forum Yeti
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 03:05 PM
  5. Winter building sessions
    By Haus Boss in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 04:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •