EDR

Lets get to the bottom of this...

Does anyone ever 'feel' like they bottom out their rp3?

On my 575 I often find the oring at what appears to be the bottom of the travel after a ride(2inches).
    However I have never felt a definate 'bottom out thunk' during a ride. On my old bike it was pretty noticable if I maxed out the shocks travel.

I'm not complaining. Just comparing.

Anyone else find this to be the case on your 575 or ASR?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've only been riding mine for a few months now. I've never felt the RP3 bottom out. But, I have noticed the ring being way at the bottom, or ever OFF the shock. I have the same question.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by guilow
    I've only been riding mine for a few months now. I've never felt the RP3 bottom out. But, I have noticed the ring being way at the bottom, or ever OFF the shock. I have the same question.
    The oring will never go off or even close to the end of the cylinder unlike my Fox RL on my old bike. The reason is that the stroke on the rp3 (on the 575) is only 2 inches but the exposed sleeve is much longer.

I just have yet to feel the shock 'bottom out hard'.....it's a good thing. Just not what I'm used to.

5 x 5

my o-ring reaches the end...

...and i've bottomed it before. it hits pretty softly, but you can tell.

let some air out of it and try again, or better yet, ride off something bigger.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

trail "cleaner"

Here's my set up

I deflated the shock down to @35 psi and compressed the bike to the bottom of the shock stroke. Made a mark where the O-ring was with a permanent marker and gauge how much travel I use on rides from the 0-ring to the mark. One thing for sure... If I use mid to max propedal lever settings, the travel is no where near as far as when set to the minimum position. At this position, I'll occasionally find the O-ring right on the mark but NEVER have the 'thunk' sound of bottoming out. Proper pressure settings are the key.
    No dabs allowed!

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride

On my 575 I often find the oring at what appears to be the bottom of the travel after a ride(2inches).
    However I have never felt a definate 'bottom out thunk' during a ride. On my old bike it was pretty noticable if I maxed out the shocks travel.

Personally Ive never felt it bottom out, but it sounds like Im getting full travel based on what others have said. I guess the 575 in just a sweeeet ride.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Never felt the "thunk" of a hard bottom, but have pushed the o-ring to the end of the shaft a couple times when running less psi.

Probably has something to do with the linkage and how it ramps up/down in the travel range.

Huh....Maybe them Yeti boys did some research and testing....

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Never felt the "thunk" of a hard bottom, but have pushed the o-ring to the end of the shaft a couple times when running less psi.

Probably has something to do with the linkage and how it ramps up/down in the travel range.

Yep, sounds like an efficient FS design to me.

In my mind, I can do it!

Yeah, I agree, I have never felt a thunk like it bottoms out. It seems to pretty easily push the o-ring toward the bottom of the shock but it never feels like it bottoms.

I have to admit, although I like the plush feeling, it is taking a bit of getting used to because it feels like I am always using all of the travel. Maybe I am just used to that ramp up feeling. This bike does not have that feeling at all. The shock gets used no matter what you are doing on the trail. It just doesn't bob when you pedal. I suppose this is the way a suspension is supposed to be done but still, it does take some getting used to.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    it does take some getting used to.
    Yep. I've been a card carrying roadie for the last month or so in an effort to up my mileage and save some time, and last night rode my 575 for only the 2nd time in 3 weeks. It felt very strange to me coming from a 18lb carbon fiber road bike. After about 30 minutes, I felt at home again but it does use its travel so differently that you need some time to get used to it.

And now that I've been back on the Yeti I'm headed to the resorts for some lift-aided DH runs tomorrow. Mmmmmmmmmm.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I'll have to be the dissenting vote on this one.
    I've had the 575 for over a year and the only issue I have is blowing through the travel and bottoming out hard at least once per ride. I've been all over the place with pressure and am at the point that I accept bottoming to avoid a harsh ride on the smaller stuff.
    I'm looking at getting the rp3 pushed or a dhx air to help with it.

trail "cleaner"

couple of things...

Quote Originally Posted by danbo
    I'll have to be the dissenting vote on this one.
    I've had the 575 for over a year and the only issue I have is blowing through the travel and bottoming out hard at least once per ride. I've been all over the place with pressure and am at the point that I accept bottoming to avoid a harsh ride on the smaller stuff.
    I'm looking at getting the rp3 pushed or a dhx air to help with it.
    How much do you weigh and where are you setting the propedal lever during your rides? Here's a thought if you haven't already tried it. If you like 'plush', adjust your shock pressure for 3/8 sag and try max propedal on the DH. This Combo should give you a plush ride but resist the hard bottoming you are experiencing. I've heard the DHX air blows through it's travel easier than the RP3 so... don't know if that's the right option for you. I've had a couple of shocks 'Pushed' and yes that'll also help. Hope you can find a happy medium
    No dabs allowed!

In my mind, I can do it!

And now that I've been back on the Yeti I'm headed to the resorts for some lift-aided DH runs tomorrow. Mmmmmmmmmm.....
    lift-aided riding... man, I'm jealous....

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    How much do you weigh and where are you setting the propedal lever during your rides? Here's a thought if you haven't already tried it. If you like 'plush', adjust your shock pressure for 3/8 sag and try max propedal on the DH. This Combo should give you a plush ride but resist the hard bottoming you are experiencing. I've heard the DHX air blows through it's travel easier than the RP3 so... don't know if that's the right option for you. I've had a couple of shocks 'Pushed' and yes that'll also help. Hope you can find a happy medium
    I'm still playing with the shock pressure settings but I kind of understand what he is saying. There seems to be a very fine line between a plush ride that bottoms out and a not so plush ride that resists the bottoming. I had it perfect on one ride but on the next thought I set it the same way and it seemed to be a little off. So I'm not sure what I need to look at for setting mine properly. I do think there is a sweetspot though. Just gotta find it.

And I don't trust the shock pump. When I pump it up to the correct pressure and then start to unscrew the hose, I never trust that what is coming out is only the host pressure. I wish there was an adapter or something to ensure shock air doesn't come out. I saw a manitou pump setup this way I think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I weigh around 165 without camelback, etc. I generally keep the propedal in the center position except for a few trails where I run it at the minimum platform setting. If I run max propedal the rear end doesn't hook up well in the turns.
    I'll try that sag/lever position.

Glad to hear "Push" might help. That's the cheaper option.

EDR
    Azmtncycler: I like your idea of marking the end travel with the shock de-pressurized. I'm gonna try that just for kicks.

I've been out riding hard the last few days and every month that goes by that I ride this bike the more I love it! I'm heading up to the White Mountains this week to do some riding, gotta get out of this furnace and hit the cooler pines before they close Sitgreaves National forest as well.

trail "cleaner"

yep, just a tad warm this wkend!

Azmtncycler: I like your idea of marking the end travel with the shock de-pressurized. I'm gonna try that just for kicks.

I've been out riding hard the last few days and every month that goes by that I ride this bike the more I love it! I'm heading up to the White Mountains this week to do some riding, gotta get out of this furnace and hit the cooler pines before they close Sitgreaves National forest as well.
    we started our rides up National Saturday and Sunday at 5:30 and it still was a "SWEAT Box". This wkend, I ran my RP3 10 psi over my body weight and left the propedal lever on min. setting and it worked great. Very 'cushy' while flying down National and it stuck like glue on the climb up National. The O-ring was sitting right next to my 'full travel' mark. I may have found my new best known method for setting this shock up for this type of trails.
    No dabs allowed!