Who is John Galt?

Last ride was great!

Got my 575 out this week and really put it through the paces. I discovered that with little changes to the suspension tuning this bike really takes on completely different character. First few miles I was all over the place, no confidence. I need to warm up and that was part of it but also I made one or two click changes in the fork and shock and all of a sudden things were really clicking. There is one section on this trail I've never been able to do. It's a steep downhill that ends up going straight down into a creek, about 5 feet, then you go straight up out of the creek. To make it worse there's a tree that splits the trail, one side has these big rocks, the other is litteraly vertical and you have to turn to get up out of the creek. I've ridden it 25 times, every time studied the line and then bailed at the last minute. This time I took it on the rocky side, big deep breath, and found myself safe on the upside of the creek. Wow, what you can do with 5 inches of travel! Another good run was this section through a prarie that is livened up by three dirt jumps. They are so close together that if you do it wrong you can seriously damage the love life. I hit that thing so fast I was sure I was going over the bar but the Yeti just ate it up. That one ends with a 5 foot jump off a terrace followed by a fast downhill into dark woods and another one of those creek crossings. I've never felt such an adrenalin rush. This bike can fly! The trail finished with a twisty run of switchbacks I usually crawl through. I let it all hang out here, just stood an inch or so off the saddle and I don't think the bike ever touched the ground. I swear it was grinning when I finished, even more so when I headed back into the woods for one more run. Sorry for the ramble, but that was one sweet ride. Had to do some work tonight plus it's raining here in Missouri or I would be out there again.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    sounds great!. Did you drop 5 foot?.I am very carefull with 2 foot drops for now.
    Also finished the set up on bike and it rides great. Had an exhousting 15mile ride this morning with my neighbor which is much younger. He rides a Kona Coiler (much heavier bike) and whenever I went out with him he used to disapear on the downhills. Today despite be physically weak, I smoked him on the...... rocky downhils. He really liked the way my bike handles the rocky terrain. I think his wife may be angry with me now since I've planted the seeds of a new ride in him.
    BTW I wish we had some rain here too. Some trails sections in my area are covered with "white flour".

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    sounds great!. Did you drop 5 foot?.I am very carefull with 2 foot drops for now.
    Also finished the set up on bike and it rides great. Had an exhousting 15mile ride this morning with my neighbor which is much younger. He rides a Kona Coiler (much heavier bike) and whenever I went out with him he used to disapear on the downhills. Today despite be physically weak, I smoked him on the...... rocky downhils. He really liked the way my bike handles the rocky terrain. I think his wife may be angry with me now since I've planted the seeds of a new ride in him.
    BTW I wish we had some rain here too. Some trails sections in my area are covered with "white flour".
    I took the big drop but since it was on a downhill run the landing was very smooth. I know what you mean about the lack of rain, my tires are white from the dust.
    We are really dry though there's still some water in the creek crossings where I ride. That says a lot that you are beating that Coiler down the hills, that's supposed to be some bike. I'm just amazed at the handling of the Yeti, never once felt out of control on the fast runs though I would like a shorter handle bar, trail builders around here like to run you through tight squeezes between two trees. I can see where this bike will spoil me, I used to pick lines really carefully, now I just run over things that get in the way!
    What, me hurry?