mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Just rode my first YETI ASR5 wow

I just rode my first yeti Yesterday and wow its awesome. The ASR5 just works. I found one on closeout and couldn't pass it up. I'm switching from my Titus Racer x that's been a great bike but just doesn't descend like the yeti. Now I know what all the fuss is about and my girlfriend keeps calling me yeti boy because I won't shut up.

I wish I could find a SB to try now, I think I'm a yeti addict. Next on my radar though is the Bigtop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Oh btw if anyone needs a deal on a Yeti I think these guys have a couple more on closeout. Give em a call they hooked it up!

Bicycle Outfitters Indy - Indianapolis Indiana - Bicycle Parts - Mountain - Road - Trainers

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I see comments like that a bunch about of bunch of bikes, but the Tribe seems to have it's own flavor.

I'm pretty sure my next bike will be an SB of some form, currently leaning to the '95 - if I can.

It's not a "near thing" - gotta bank major coin first, no matter what. In the mean time I'll dream of the '95c that I'm going to build up one day.

;^)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Smile Same: from Titus to Yeti

In my case: from Motolite to 575
    I don't know how Yeti people are doing it,
    But the Titus become my wife bike and for once I gave her a ride on the 575 on XC ride,
    She told me that she prefer the Yeti, I asked her why (the Titus Motolite is a great bike),
    Her answer: I fill more comfortable on the bike and the ride is easier.

Now when we are riding together, she rides the 575,
    In the begining I told to myself that the Motolite will stay as my XC bike,
    Now I probably will sale the Motolite and start dreaming on the SB 66,
    There is a magic in the bike - can't explain what - just have the feeling that everything is great
    Dan

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Can you compare the ride of the yeti to the racer x A little more detailed I am looking at the asr5c & I am trying to replace a ftm carbon but also have a racer x to compare the ride of.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrane01 View Post
    Can you compare the ride of the yeti to the racer x A little more detailed I am looking at the asr5c & I am trying to replace a ftm carbon but also have a racer x to compare the ride of.
    I went from a RacerX100 to a Yeti ASR5C for my race bike. The Titus was built up fairly light at around 24 lbs. and it last had a 125mm fork on it to try and slacken it out a bit. I liked how the Titus was stiff and climbed well but I never enjoyed the geometry of the bike. I was always so bent over when riding it and it made my back hurt on longer races. Plus I never could dial the suspension in properly. When I rode it with the proper sag it climbed like a mofo but the suspension was stuff and unforgiving. When I let some air out it felt pretty good but it got mushy on the climbs. I tried PUSH'ing the shock which did help some but not enough.

Enter in the ASR5C. Mine is built about the same weight as the Titus with a 140mm fork and a rear thru-axle. First off I LOVE the geometry. It's low and slack just like my big bike. So when I switch bikes I don't feel like I have to relearn the bike. The bike is reasonably stiff w/o the thru-axle but when you add that in it makes it very stiff, way stiffer than the RX. What made me really smile with this bike is how much better it climbed than the RX, despite seeing more bob and pedal feedback. I think if you put them side by side on a road climb they'd be about the same but when it's on trail the Yeti is better. I think it has to do with the suspension design. The first 1/3 travel is quite plush and it erases the small bumps. When you push past that travel it really stiffens up so you have a really firm mid-stroke, which makes you fly up the hills. So you get better ups and way better downs. The slack HA and the stiffness of the bike beg you to let loose downhill. I guess what I really love about this bike is that it is a fun bike. I used to ride my Titus only as a race bike and backup bike. I never really enjoyed riding it otherwise. Now that I have the Yeti I have a hard time choosing which bike to take out.

If you have any other more specific question feel free to PM me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thank,s for the info now my wallet & wife hate you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I pretty much agree with Woodyak. I love my titus but its been raced hard and beaten on for 3 years now and it was just time for a change. They both climb very well but the biggest difference is how they descend. The ASR 5 is slack and great for bombing stuff while the racer x has a steep head tube angle which is great for fast twitchy single track but way more work on fast descents. My new found downhill confidence just makes the YETI a crazy fun bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How well does the Yeti do when you stand & hammer a climb?How well does the lock out work is it locked or does it still move?The racer x seams to be very locked out with pro pedal on full.
    Thank's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Oh btw if anyone needs a deal on a Yeti I think these guys have a couple more on closeout. Give em a call they hooked it up!

Bicycle Outfitters Indy - Indianapolis Indiana - Bicycle Parts - Mountain - Road - Trainers
    Smokin' deals on ASR C's at Competitive Cyclist sale

I threw my almost-new 2010 Enduro up on CL locally to see if I could get $2K for it and upgrade. But no takers. ABQ is a pretty small market and even $2K is a lot to come up with for a bike, so it looks like I'm sticking with mine--and I'm not complaining.

$3K for a 2011 carbon ASR 5 is hard to resist and I'm surprised that Competitive still has these. I think they had 18 a couple of weeks ago and I'll be they're down to the last few. BTW, the $3K bike has X9 components. The $3.6K one is XO.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The asr 5 climbs very well. It feels pretty solid with the shock wide open. I haven't used propedal yet because I didn't need it. For hard out of the saddle efforts i think it will be similar to the racer x with pro pedal on. The rear ends are very similar, I think the biggest difference is the slacker stiffer front end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    I just got one from Competitive Cyclist. First off, I have to highly recommend them. I've never bought a complete bike from an online retailer but they were great to work with, were very helpful with getting me the right size, and their unconditional return policy took away all apprehension. Anyways, enough for the sales pitch - the bike rocks. I came from a Specialized Epic and this thing climbs just as well but goes down waaaay better. If I had to describe the Yeti in one word - FUN. I've only had it for a week but am 100% convinced it's what I was looking for.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just recently bought a ASR5a, which was my first foray into a longer travel bike. Previously owned hardtails and XC orientated full sussers. I was worried that I would struggle on the climbs, but I worried for nothing My 5 climbs with ease, has a nice balance point for the 180 switchbacks, and makes be grin on the way down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Love to hear! I should be receiving mine in about a week. Looking forward to getting her out on the trails

mtbr member
    May 2011
    not what i wanted to hear...i also saw the deals from competitive cyclist and have been thinking about dumping my epic carbon for a yeti. i might have to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by tbondu View Post
    I just got one from Competitive Cyclist. First off, I have to highly recommend them. I've never bought a complete bike from an online retailer but they were great to work with, were very helpful with getting me the right size, and their unconditional return policy took away all apprehension. Anyways, enough for the sales pitch - the bike rocks. I came from a Specialized Epic and this thing climbs just as well but goes down waaaay better. If I had to describe the Yeti in one word - FUN. I've only had it for a week but am 100% convinced it's what I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Hey guys -

What size fork are you running: 120 or 140?

mtbr member
    140, love it, came from an 80 so it's like a new sport to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cursor718 View Post
    not what i wanted to hear...i also saw the deals from competitive cyclist and have been thinking about dumping my epic carbon for a yeti. i might have to do it
    Why Now Just go to your LBS and see if they will work with you on a layaway?They are going to be the ones that will go up to bat for you if something go's wrong with the bike? Not sure why people would buy there yetis online I got mine for less then the MSRP with Tax !! No online dealer could have beat that for sure !!!

My LBS worked with me for 6 months as long as i put a payment every month ! Adventure Cycles rocks Adventure Cycling Aurora, Colorado
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_Chris View Post
    Not sure why people would buy there yetis online I got mine for less then the MSRP with Tax !! No online dealer could have beat that for sure !!!
    1) No shop has a full XO ASR5-C build for cheaper.
    2) No tax
    3) 60 day no questions asked return/refund policy (with shipping it's like getting a 2 month demo for $120). You can take back a complete bike (or any component on that bike) after 60 days with no questions asked for a full refund/replacement/substitution.
    4) Super helpful, great communication at odd hours (evenings/weekends) via email or phone.

I don't consider CC just another online retailer. I was really apprehensive about buying a complete bike online but seriously, the amount of communication and attention I received during the process was way better than any service I've received at a shop. No, I'm not a paid spokesperson.

No matter how you buy an ASR5 (Al or Carbon) you'll love it. That I can guarantee.