banned
    Mar 2012

Just joined the tribe, what's the general opinion on the '66 CCDB or CCDB Air?

Received my SB-66 a couple weeks ago. Really stoked with it. Fits me much better than my Mojo HD in the SoCal trails.

The Mojo, even with a 180mm fork, always felt a bit like a cross country bike. Sat a bit tall in it's travel and never felt at home for me when things got fast and technical. I suppose XC+ would be accurate. I was really struck at how difference the SB-66 is. Sits low, very efficient pedaler. XC capable, but pointed down it's just in a grove and really like to rail. Very under control when airborne. More of a trail bike with a bit of free ride in it's blood.

I settled on a 160mm front fork, which is serving me well, but I'm wondering what the general consensus is on rear shock. Stock RP-23 is pretty hard for me to dial. Can't seem to get rid of the hop when theres a fair amount of trail chatter. Certainly not a problem unique to the SB66, but something I've been able to cure with coil shocks in the past.

I though I read that the SB66 is designed around air shocks and the suspension was designed with a linear suspension curve rate, or maybe the opposite, not sure. Anyway, will a coil shock work well with the '66, or should I be looking more at the CCDB Air, which would match the suspension better?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    according to yeti, sb66 can take both air & coil shock

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    I cant speak specifically for the SB66 but I too was never able to get the RP23 setup to my liking on either of my 575's. So when I got the ASR 7 I got it with the for DHX RC4 and couldn't be happier. If you want that great non-XC feel and performance ditch the RP23 for a coil. You could also try the DB air or the Vivid air to keep things light. I got to try a Vivid air last week on my Friends AM/DH bike and was very impressed by its feel/performance.
    2011 Yeti ASR7 Custom Freeride build
    http://forums.mtbr.com/7868497-post42.html

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    The Q&A page for the SB-66 states that either an air or coil may be used on the 66.

Yeti Cycles / Home
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

banned
    Mar 2012
    I'm really leaning toward a coil, being that the SB-66 has a really linear leverage rate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Super66 View Post
    I'm really leaning toward a coil, being that the SB-66 has a really linear leverage rate.
    Hey SB66 ,

What did you decide on ?, hows it going ?

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
    Hey SB66 ,

What did you decide on ?, hows it going ?
    From another thread, the experience is that the DBAir is a bit too progressive for the SB-66. People had to run a lot of sag (35-40%) to utilize full travel.

If I had the muscle to drag it around, a CCDB or Avalance Chubie both make he shortlist.

mtbr member
    i got a CCDB coil in my 66c, but still thinking about an Avy with that sommin special from Craig.

This is my my 3rd CCDB and its a good bit of kit, but after running Avy front and rear on my other bike I'v always been left thinking that the Avy is a better unit.

Just a little, but enugh to notice. . . .