Who is John Galt?

Jeep rack to hold 575?

Anyone Yeti fans out there with a Jeep Wrangler? I am looking at trading my van for one of the new 4-door Wranglers, just hit me I'm going to need a new way to haul the bike. Is there a roof rack option for these? I will probably go for the dual top (hard and soft) option. I'll also get a 2" receiver hitch but would like to use the Yakima rack I have now if this is an option so I can still pull a trailer (19' Grumman canoe).
    What, me hurry?

Was that a Bobcat?
    I don't know about the rack, but those new Jeeps are super NICE

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    Anyone Yeti fans out there with a Jeep Wrangler?
    I would check with 95Stumpy... pretty sure he posted a pic where his 575 was mounted on a hitch rack behind a Jeep.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yeah.. I recommend the hitch option... I had used it on other bikes and it is awesome... I used a Thule, but I am sure most bigger rack brands would be fine...

Who is John Galt?
    My wife bought the Mopar rack to go on her Jeep, I never liked it. Seems kind of flimsy and the bike moves all over, plus you had to hook up straps and stuff to keep the front wheel from turning (hub wear). I do like those Yak racks that the wheels sit into, not sure what you call them. And I saw an option that holds the bikes vertical, that looked interesting but never seen one in action. Really like the Jeep though, that 4 door model will hold a lot more beer...
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member

which rack?

I'm with Crisillo - I'm using the Sportworks version of the now Thule 2" hitch unit, and it is ultra secure, easy to load, keeps the bikes from getting hammered on top of the car, and in general just good piece of mind. I'll never use anything else if I have the choice. Especially since my 575 tried to eject off the top of our buddies Suburban on the way to the White Rim a few weeks ago!

Jim

Adobo Lover
    Anyone Yeti fans out there with a Jeep Wrangler? I am looking at trading my van for one of the new 4-door Wranglers, just hit me I'm going to need a new way to haul the bike. Is there a roof rack option for these? I will probably go for the dual top (hard and soft) option. I'll also get a 2" receiver hitch but would like to use the Yakima rack I have now if this is an option so I can still pull a trailer (19' Grumman canoe).
    The funny thing my wife test drove a 4 door last night. Her comments were, shifter has a short throw and rides very smooth and quite. I was impressed with the amount of room. Only down side, without power door locks it is a pain trying to unlock the rear doors from the front door. I know power doors seems odd on a jeep, but it really is an option, along with the windows.

From what I've seen and read, the hard top will be able to accomodate an aftermarket racket. There is grooves on the hardtop that remind me of the old jeeps with racks attached to the area. It runs from the front to just past the rear passenger doors. I would check with Yakima on that one. That was one of our concerns too, the ability to carry things on top.

I eyed the rear for a hitch rack. The hitch is actually just a bolt on. It sits about a foot long and is attached by 4 bolts. Unlike past jeeps, which attaches to either side of the frame and are much bigger. This one seems totally easier to put on. As far as the hitch rack itself. I think you will be fine with any of the popular Hookup, T2, or the Saris version. The hitch seems like it accounts for the spare and pushes out a little bit. Hope that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

Who is John Galt?
    Yep, I think that's what I'm looking for. The Jeep I'm eyeing has both the soft and hard top option, so I'm still thinking about some kind of roof rack but more for the inevitable too much stuff I carry. Have to ask, is there and issue with using a 575 on a hitch rack that suspends the bike? Seems like it would have to be at some kind of weird angle to mount up with the angled top tube on these bikes. That new Jeep is awesome, but I'm giving up some stuff switching from the van. Just discovered the Yeti fits behind the front seats with the wheel off. I'd hate to think what I've got invested in that roof rack. Just changed out all the rear clamps, put new locks all the way around and bought new skewers this summer. Easy come, easy go!
    What, me hurry?

Adobo Lover
    I did the normal hitch rack with the top tube device(stem to seatpost adapator). It works just fine. I still ended up attaching some rope to it for safety purposes though. I really don't think it would come undone but I wasn't taking a chance. I couldn't fit the 575 safely without the adaptor. However, it can be done with a little rope(that's how I brought it home before I bought the hookup). As far as convenience though, the hookup for me was the way to go. Well, it sounds like you just need to buy towers since you have the locks and the load bars.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

Yep,Have to ask, is there and issue with using a 575 on a hitch rack that suspends the bike? Seems like it would have to be at some kind of weird angle to mount up with the angled top tube on these bikes.
    Several manufacturers sell some adjustable bars that you attach to the stem/steerer and seatpost and then tighten.. they create a horizontal "top tube" for bikes with non triangular fronts. We used the Thule ones and had no issues with them

I will try to find a pic on the web...
    Last edited by crisillo; 11-22-2006 at 05:00 AM.

Who is John Galt?
    Hmmmm...that would help, as long as it didn't come off.
    What, me hurry?

They are pretty safe...

Hi!!!

Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    Here's what I do when I'm not carrying it inside. This is an old Terra gate model that I bought when Yakima first came out with their swinging arm racks. I know the newer beds are a different design, so this kind of thing may not work....

Here's how I used to haul my old Stumpy. It had mechanical discs.....

Dean

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanoldo
    Here's how I used to haul my old Stumpy. It had mechanical discs.....

Dean

mtbr member
    LOL, Ya, it looked pretty goofy, buy I didn't have to buy yet another piece of gear..... Of course, after I got the Yeti, I had to buy one of those Hurricane thru-axel adapter thingys for the fork mount I use inside the car, so I ended up with more hauling gear anyway.....

Dean

Rat Fink
    I forget which model Yakima rack I have but it's one of the two prong hitch mounts. I put the one side between the seat post tube and the tire and use two of the rubber mounting things, one under each seat stay. Chain has to be on the big ring. I use the rubber straps from the back mount, pull them over the chainstays and strap it down. The front mount is opened under the down tube. Kind of a PIA but it's secure.

Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

Livin' the Dream
    I've got the Saris Cycle On that holds it by the wheels. It is a great rack, much better than the spare tire mount Yakima I used to have. As long as I have a hitch, it will work on any car too.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    I would go with the hitch mount rack, sportwerk type then figure out a way to put the canoe on top of the jeep, it would be much easier that way than figuring out how to get the bike up top