mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Input on recent bike work appreciated

In June I received my SB 95 carbon frame and along with a new bottom bracket. Since I was swapping most of my pieces off my SB 95 a I had a local shop perform the duties. Fast forward to today- after putting on 400+ miles in July I decided to service the bottom bracket. Both sides were WAY over torqued and the non drive side was clearly rough coming out. As I suspected, the threads were damaged, clearly from install. The BB was new in box when I delivered to the shop and I paid a good chunk of change for their "expert" work. Am I over reacting? Do I just move on like nothing happened or should I discuss my dissatisfaction of their work performed? Should I insist they replace the bottom bracket? Am I unreasonable? I sure don't feel like re installing the damaged BB potentially damaging my bikes BB.

I guess I'm hoping for a consensus on what's appropriate given the situation. Here's a photo of the damaged thread. Input on recent bike work appreciated-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375663235.624801.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdymkr View Post
    In June I received my SB 95 carbon frame and along with a new bottom bracket. Since I was swapping most of my pieces off my SB 95 a I had a local shop perform the duties. Fast forward to today- after putting on 400+ miles in July I decided to service the bottom bracket. Both sides were WAY over torqued and the non drive side was clearly rough coming out. As I suspected, the threads were damaged, clearly from install. The BB was new in box when I delivered to the shop and I paid a good chunk of change for their "expert" work. Am I over reacting? Do I just move on like nothing happened or should I discuss my dissatisfaction of their work performed? Should I insist they replace the bottom bracket? Am I unreasonable? I sure don't feel like re installing the damaged BB potentially damaging my bikes BB.

I guess I'm hoping for a consensus on what's appropriate given the situation. Here's a photo of the damaged thread. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375663235.624801.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	822113
    I know there are lots of good bike mechanics out there, but I don't let anybody touch my machines. It looks like they failed to properly clean the threaded surfaces before installation, and some debris got wedged in the threads. I would not re-install that bearing, and I would ask the bike shop to provide you a new one. I had to remove some small burrs in the threads of my sram crankset bearing; I used a small file to ensure it threaded all the way inside the bottom bracket without any resistance at all. All I've been doing as far as maintenance is brushing off the dirt (no water), lubing the chain, and cleaning the kashmir coating on the suspension with dry lubricant. I give the all bearings a good tactile inspection to ensure there is no freeplay and listen for unusual noises.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I would definitely mention it to the shop. They may completely deny it but at least they'll know about it. This is a good time to motivate yourself to get the right tools and learn how to do your own service. Most here have experienced incompetent mechanics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Input on recent bike work appreciated

Thanks for the replies. I'll drop in to the shop and hopefully they'll remedy problem. Typically I perform most tasks myself however due to time constraints took a chance that I now regret. Won't happen again!

mtbr member
    another risk to over torque-ing on a carbon machine is that it create a risk of breaking the metal / carbon seal (Where the Manufacturer creates a bonded 'weld' between the carbon in the frame and the metal insert into which we screw in the BB) within the frame itself. It probably won't be an issue with the BB, but I certainly have experience of this issue in other parts of a carbon frame. This time you were okay because the BB came out, but keep this moment in your memory bank in case of a future fail and ensure that the shop knows that should there be a fail, you will be holding them liable.

I agree with the others about doing the work yourself, but there is only so much time in the day and also, if it were a ferrari (and it is, in my opinion), you would be leaving it to the experts.

Good luck my friend

mtbr member
    I'd be furious, and you absolutely have to report this to the shop owner, if for no other reason, to document the issue and to give him/her a heads up on what the shop is turning out.
    Do you know which "mechanic" did the work? (I put "mechanic" in quotes because the "mechanic" that did this was not a mechanic, but simply someone claiming to be a mechanic) If the owner entrusted someone to do a build on probably the most expensive frame they have sold then he/she better have been their top dog.
    Sorry for the rant, but that is inexcusable, imho.

Now, all that said, can you tell which threads are damaged (frame or BB)? If it's the frame, then short of demanding a new frame, the threads may be able to be "chased" with a proper tap and a lot of care. If it's the BB, then ask for a replacement.