Thread: Ibis Ripley

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Ibis Ripley

did anyone else watch the video today of the new Ibis Ripley 29?
    The eccentrics look very similiar to Yeti Switch imho...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Its Identical to the switch system...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    They both have an eccentric bottom pivot, but my meager understanding is that the real crux of the suspension systems in question (Switch, DW link, VPP, etc) have more to do with the real kinematics of the suspension-antisquat characteristics, axle path, etc than simply looks and long the link is (a eccentric is just a mini-link).

Also if you want to judge only on looks, the switch has one eccentric while the Ripley has two, making it not exactly 'identical'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by combatwombat1 View Post
    Its Identical to the switch system...
    not even close.

reading comprehension wat
    Does the Rockrider or Ripley even have a "switch" (inflection point)? Or do they simply have eccentrics that rotate in only one direction (clockwise/counter-clockwise) through its full range of travel?

Here's another Yeti SB "rip-off" to throw into the mix. Small differences, of course.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I don't think the Ripley and Switch is anywhere near identical, certainly related though.

I can't recall who was publicly shown first but I first *saw* coverage of the Ripley suspension ... way before I saw stuff on the Switch from Yeti.

Took longer for Ibis to bring it to market though. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think Ibis really missed the mark on this one. The geometry is the exact opposite of where the market is going with full suspension 29ers. I suppose they couldn't just keep it on the drawing board forever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    I think Ibis really missed the mark on this one. The geometry is the exact opposite of where the market is going with full suspension 29ers. I suppose they couldn't just keep it on the drawing board forever.
    How so? It perfectly splits the difference between the Intense Spider Comp and the Niner RIP 9 RDO, giving it quite the nice all-round trail bike geometry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    How so? It perfectly splits the difference between the Intense Spider Comp and the Niner RIP 9 RDO, giving it quite the nice all-round trail bike geometry.
    I said "going"......I don't believe splitting the difference between those two frames is the future of the 29er, especially once the 27.5 starts becoming the "catch weight" frame. Plus it's much more like the Spider Comp than the Rip9.

reading comprehension wat
    Looking at it more completely, it looks like they were trying more for a versatile XC/trail FS bike, that could be a XC racer, a XC/trail bike, or even more with a change in forks. They had lightweight XC in mind for sure, and fitting smaller riders on it, slotting in a spot that's more XC than a Mojo SLR. They managed a 600mm stack, with a steep HA and 120mm travel and 12.8" BB. That stack rivals the Niner bikes which opt for higher BBs. The Niner 9 RDO has only a BB drop of 1.1", which puts BB height at around 13.4". 0.6" is huge; take it in the other direction to 14" and F riding that. That lower stack does wonders for getting the handlebar height in a spot good in relation to the saddle, at least putting the saddle above the grips for shorter riders. That 42" wheelbase is insanely short too. That's like back to 80mm travel HTs. This makes me want to compare it to a Blur TRc more, which is a 26" bike with notoriously lower than advertised BB.

The Yeti was in production for years. They were just very secretive about it. The Ripley encountered problems, which they found from racing the protos. There were at least 2 pro riders on it that I knew of. Don't think BLopes did too much on it, but he was 1 of the 2 pros I've seen testing it. I just see videos of him still riding his Mojo, but there are pics of him riding it in the wild on Laguna trails. The angular contact bushing idea was crossed off. If price was indicative of R&D costs and other related costs (patents and the legal side of things)...
    Last edited by dv8xin; 03-19-2013 at 04:05 PM.

mtbr member
    They also had to change factories when they were nearing original production and basically start from scratch. The problems they had during testing was with the angular contact bearings and mud which seized one of the protos. That required the change to standard bearings.

Use of eccentrics is not the Switch patent, it is the midpoint counter rotation. Trying to patent an eccentric would be like trying to patent the use of bearings or links in suspension.

mtbr member
    I was really interested to see how the Ripley would stack up... think I can wait a little longer for the SB95C now..
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennW View Post
    I was really interested to see how the Ripley would stack up... think I can wait a little longer for the SB95C now..
    Me to

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got a chance to demo the Ripley this weekend. It was setup more cross country than I would have liked, with the 120 fork. Only larges were available, and being close to 6'2", I am on the cusp of the L/XL. Seeing that the seat post was fully extended and it wasn't quite high enough, its fair to say that i should be on an XL.

Now to the ride. I had an hour or so to demo the bike. We climbed the Loma Alta fire fire road, 680 traverse, and then solstice decent. Even being a bit small the bike climbed like a dream. The fire road has a few steep longish stingers. With the shocks in the C position, I experienced no loss of power or bob, and made it to the top of the climb feeling great.

The decent was a different story. The fork was the 32 float 120. It might not have had enough pressure as I was experiencing significant brake actuated shock drop. I also felt out in front of the front wheel and was afraid of going OTB on any of the rock stair cases or drops. I hopped on my buddies L Tallboy C mid-ride, which was set up much slacker, and immediately felt more confident descending.

I did love the nimbleness and responsiveness of the Ripley. Tight switchbacks were no issue. It felt lively, light, and very quick.

I would set up the Ripley much more descend friendly, 140/34 fork, smaller stem, XL size. I see definite potential with the Ripley and should be able to hop on an XL in a couple months that will be set up more trail or all mountain than the XC style it was setup as from Ibis.