Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I think too much - more sizing indecision

I think way too much. I'm driving myself nuts here and need some opinions. I posted this in the What Bike to Buy forum, but I thought I'd (once again) ask other Yeti owners about fit and sizing.

I currently ride a large Yeti 575 which I bought 2 years ago. I'm 5' 11.5" inches tall (with a really long neck, so taking that into consideration, I'm more like 5' 11"). I seem to be fairly average for all other measurements. I used to think I had long arms, but now I think that has more to do with me just being skinny for my height. Based on my height, Yeti's site puts me right in-between a M and a L. After riding my L for a season, I decided that I felt too stretched out, so I took off the stock 100mm stem and replaced it with a 90mm. I rode it for another season like that and decided I was still too stretched out. I replaced the 90 with a 75, and the cockpit now feels great.

Based on the 575 geometry chart, the cockpit length of a L with a 75mm stem is exactly the same as a M with a 100mm stem. I took my current bike to my lbs and rode it back-to-back with a M that had a 100mm stem, and the cockpit felt exactly the same. The M had enough spacers on it to make the bars the same height as my L, so that wasn't an issue. Since I was just tooling around some side streets, I couldn't get a true off-road feel of the M, but what was really noticeable was the difference in steering quickness between the 75 and 100. The steering of my L/75 almost felt too quick after test riding the M/100.

Most of the trails I ride involve a lot of climbing (and descending) on technical singletrack. Plenty of tight switchbacks as well as plenty of long sustained climbs that seem to go on forever. Lots of rocky technical stuff. Most of this is on singletrack with a bit of doubletrack. Not a lot of wide fire roads.

I've got some money coming in at the end of the month that's already earmarked for bike stuff. I can either buy a M frame and sell my L, or use the money to bling the heck out of my L.

So which frame would you pick? The L with the 75mm stem, or the M with the 100mm stem?

My head hurts.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Without trying a large I must say, I have ordered the M and am using the 100mm I had. I only rode it once before injuring myself but felt comfortable. Very nimble and fast. I am also 5'11" and 150lbs.

I was discussing this with a friend of mine last Friday and he's doing the same thing. If he's on the edge of two sizes, he'll choose the inferior one and he's comfortable with that.

I guess you can take the difference in weight in consideration also in your desicion? Do we know the difference between a M and L frame with the same shock?

S.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Measure your arms outstretched from fingertip to fingertip. Is the measurement over 6'2"? If so, you are gettting into Large territory. Otherwise, I think the medium will be a better fit for you and especially your type of riding. Sell your Large on Ebay or here and chk prices on a new Medium. PM me if you need some specific help. I try to keep tabs on closeouts, markdows, and silly stuff like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Measure your arms outstretched from fingertip to fingertip. Is the measurement over 6'2"? If so, you are gettting into Large territory. Otherwise, I think the medium will be a better fit for you and especially your type of riding. Sell your Large on Ebay or here and chk prices on a new Medium. PM me if you need some specific help. I try to keep tabs on closeouts, markdows, and silly stuff like that.
    Based on 3 measurements, my armspan is between 73.5" - 73.75", so just a hair under 6'2".
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain
    I guess you can take the difference in weight in consideration also in your desicion? Do we know the difference between a M and L frame with the same shock?
    I thought of that, but if I take my money and use it to pimp my L, I could probably shave the weight down quite a bit, so either way I go I will be cutting weight.

Going for a ride......
    Go for the handling you prefer. I really love the nimble feel of my bike with a shorter stem (60 or 75mm) but for comfort issues have had to put a 90mm on it. Initially it came with a 100mm stem but combined with wide bars and that it felt like a slug so I switched right away. Funny now that I've had to go pretty close to the original configuration to get the ideal set up.
    Haven't ridden on the trail with the 90mm yet but around the street it feels so much more sluggish!

If you like the fast handling then I'd go get some bling bling bling. Or if you prefer the slower more stable handling then go for the new frame. I found with a 75mm stem my bike was still reasonably balanced weight wise (40/60) with a 90 I guess it would be more 50/50. With a 60 there was definitely more weight on the back wheel.
    energetix

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I always fall into the trap of being a tweener. I went with the M also sight unseen because of the measurements. I came from a bike with a 23" TT and the M was a bit longer but with a shorter stem. Advantages of M vs L: weight, stand over height, wheel base.

These could be disadvantages also. If you went up by shuttle or lift then the longer WB would be better, I assume you ride up because that is the reason for this bike. The bike has tons of stand over already, but it does help the confidence. The short WB helps you get over boulders / logs and is better suited to tight singletrack.

If I made the purchase the other way like you I would talk myself into the pros of the L vs M. Better fire road climber, decending etc.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    6'1" and been riding a M for 3 seasons now with no complaints so I think you could definitely go to the M if you would like. I only had the chance to ride a L before ordering one and it felt way more stretched out than I wanted to be. I favor the more techy trails as well and like the more compact frame for handling in that kind of terrain.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja

My head hurts.
    You think your head hurts? I'm gonna make ivyguy look like a knee-jerk reaction man. I'm going through the 575 vs Motolite vs X-5 vs brain damage.

I'm also a tweener. Just under 5' 11" with a 33" inseam.

The large feels just right to me. The medium feels cramped. I rode a Moto and 575 back and forth for 15 minutes each last weekend and it got to where the large 575 felt smallish. The high hand position of the 575 seems to cut down the effective TT length. The L Titus felt way larger than the L 575 even though the TT was a hair shorter. The 575 handlebar was at least an inch higher which made the reach easier (shorter).

The 575 is so stable, that you can cut a tight turn on switchbacks. And, going downhill the larger wheelbase is sweet.

In general, the larger frame + shorter stem beats a smaller frame + longer stem in the knarl.

Buy the wheelset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    "You think your head hurts? I'm gonna make ivyguy look like a knee-jerk reaction man. I'm going through the 575 vs Motolite vs X-5 vs brain damage. "

Do not think that it is possible. Which ML are you testing? I thought all '06 were blown out at really great deals. ML and Ventana will be stiffer. I think the 5.75 is key to the plushness / efficiency. It seems to be mutually exclusive usually, but that dogbone does its' job well. It can be ridden "plush" or climbing efficient all in the same ride.

Wait till you have to select a color.................

Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    You think your head hurts? I'm gonna make ivyguy look like a knee-jerk reaction man. I'm going through the 575 vs Motolite vs X-5 vs brain damage.
    Yeah, well, get this. Last night my wife comes home from work and I've got the Hammerhead website up, looking at their HH125 photos ( http://www.hammerheadbikes.com/bikes/hammerhead/hh125/ ). I jokingly say to her, "That's a variation on my dream bike" (I've been lusting after a 5" El Saltamontes for a long long time).

She then says, "Well, if that's REALLY what you want, why don't you get that one?"

And I say, "WHAT?????? Are you serious? Are you actually giving me permission to buy a $2000 frame????"

And she says, "If that's your dream bike, then stop messing around and get what you want. Just make sure to do your research before you buy, 'cause if that's your dream bike, you'll be keeping it for a while."

I really don't know what to do now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have that bike right now and it's becoming my primary ride. Well, not the Hammerhead version but the stock frame in black. It's a fun ride and compares favorably to the 575. I like the Hammerhead bike a lot too.

mtbr member
    I have that bike right now and it's becoming my primary ride. Well, not the Hammerhead version but the stock frame in black. It's a fun ride and compares favorably to the 575. I like the Hammerhead bike a lot too.
    Can you give me your opinion on how the Salty and the 575 compare? The only thing I have concerns about with the Salty is the slack seat tube. On my current 575, I've got the saddle almost as far forward as it can go on a straight post and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get the seat forward enough on the Salty. The HH125 has a steeper seat tube, so that wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not sure about the rest of the geometry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 575 is a really long-travel lighweight All Mountai/All Trail bike while the Salty is more XC-ish but way more of a trailbike than most 4" bikes are.

The seat tube angle doesn't bother me though I can see some being bothered by it. The Salty has less travel so it will feel firmer but is still plush enough for most trails. It climbs well and descends like a bigger bike. I did not fuly appreciate this till I hit some of the steeper sections at Bergen Peak and Kenosha.

Think of it as a solid bike in between the ASR-SL and the 575. It can handle more than the ASR-SL or the Flux but on really gnarly downhils, the 575 will surely be the king. That's the nice thing about the 575 though- it's light enough to be a good climber yet descends practically with the confidence of a 6" bike. The main advantage of the Salty is its stiffness and overall tough build.
    Remember, it's several hundred dollas more as well. A Salty with RP23 and Quad Bearings lists at around $2K while the 575 has a $1,400 list price. You better be getting something for that extra $500- $600. The value of the 575 is pretty amazing- no doubts about it.

mtbr member
    The 575 is a really long-travel lighweight All Mountai/All Trail bike while the Salty is more XC-ish but way more of a trailbike than most 4" bikes are.

The seat tube angle doesn't bother me though I can see some being bothered by it. The Salty has less travel so it will feel firmer but is still plush enough for most trails. It climbs well and descends like a bigger bike. I did not fuly appreciate this till I hit some of the steeper sections at Bergen Peak and Kenosha.

Think of it as a solid bike in between the ASR-SL and the 575. It can handle more than the ASR-SL or the Flux but on really gnarly downhils, the 575 will surely be the king. That's the nice thing about the 575 though- it's light enough to be a good climber yet descends practically with the confidence of a 6" bike. The main advantage of the Salty is its stiffness and overall tough build.
    Remember, it's several hundred dollas more as well. A Salty with RP23 and Quad Bearings lists at around $2K while the 575 has a $1,400 list price. You better be getting something for that extra $500- $600. The value of the 575 is pretty amazing- no doubts about it.
    Thanks for the info. If I were to get a Salty, it would be with the rocker upgrade to 5". Any idea on how that affects the geometry?

EDR
    I agree with whoever said that "generally, a longer frame with a shorter stem is preferable to a shorter frame with a longer stem" for the knarl. I'm barely 5'8'' and ride a medium with a 90mm stem comfortably. I have considered a shorter stem though, but I want to try before buying as I worry 75mm might just be too short.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 10-24-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Hi!!!
    I'm in the same boat as you eatdrinkride. I'm still running the 100 stem though and just haven't gotten around to getting a 90. Do you find with the 90, that your front end wanders more up steep climbs as opposed to when it had the 100?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I'm in the same boat as you eatdrinkride. I'm still running the 100 stem though and just haven't gotten around to getting a 90. Do you find with the 90, that your front end wanders more up steep climbs as opposed to when it had the 100?
    FWIW - When I swapped my 100 for a 90, it didn't affect my climbing at all.

Hi!!!
    Did you keep your stem height the same or did you mess around with the spacers when you switched?

mtbr member
    Did you keep your stem height the same or did you mess around with the spacers when you switched?
    I had to play with the spacers a bit because the stack height of the 90 was greater than that of the 100, but I did attempt to keep the stem at the same height.

EDR
    I haven't noticed any difference in climbing. That's what makes me want to try a 75mm as well.

I did notice an improvement of the feel of the bike on techie stuff with the shorter stem. There's no way I would put the 100mm back on, let's just say that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    Thanks for the info. If I were to get a Salty, it would be with the rocker upgrade to 5". Any idea on how that affects the geometry?
    If I remember in the Ventana forum, the 5" rocker changes the ride. Hence why Charles did the HH 125. He would be good to talk to along with Mtn High Cyclery "Ventanarama". I checked the Ventana site cause I heard tons of new stuff and they have an exact fix to your problem here: http://www.ventanausa.com/frame_elciclon.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Larry and Chad know more about Ventanas than most of us do. Chad at redbarnbicycles actually has a lot of experience with his personal one with 5" rockers. Larry at mtnhighcyclery is also a Ventana guy who knows an incredible amount due to ride time on Ventanas.

Why don't you call one of them and have a chat? Those are always my favorite conversations anyway- very few things are as interesting as bike talk.

surly inbred
    FWIW...

5'11" w/ 33" inseam. I ride a medium with a 100mm stem. I like my ride fairly neutral with a non-adjustable fork (125RLC.) Also sporting a post with about 25mm of setback.

...like a glove, my friend.

mtbr member
    Well, I told myself to stop messing around, and I pulled the trigger on a new M 575 with the carbon stays. It took about 3 days to get it from Yeti to my shop (helps that they're located just a few miles away) and a few more days for Wheat Ridge Cyclery to swap over all my part. She's a beaut!

I still have a bit of playing around to do to get the fit right, but she's pretty well dialed in. I told the shop to not cut down the steerer tube, so right now its got mondo amounts of spacers on it, but I'll cut that down soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast