mtbr member

I still love my ASR5 C

So I have been itching really bad thinking I needed a 29'r. I even wrote up a classified add to sell the 5 last night but didn't post it.

So today I demo'd a SB95 and I really liked it but not near as much as I like my 5. Hard to tell since it was my first time on a 29. It did gobble up the rough stuff better than anything I have ridden but acceleration out of the corners felt so sluggish. Maybe this was the build/weight of the bike? It was a solid 28 lbs and my bike is in the upper 23 lb range

All in all it was a great day as now the 29'r thing isn't burning a hole in my brain and I will keep the 5 for another year and revisit the whole 26 vs 29 again at that time.

I swear, this is the first time a demo has saved me money!!!!!

mtbr member
    Thats excatly why I kept the Yeti asr5c and added a 29er SS to keep me going.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    Thats excatly why I kept the Yeti asr5c and added a 29er SS to keep me going.
    I like that idea, what 9 did you go with?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a 5C and a 29er...5C still gets most of my riding. But as Boxer says, get yourself a budget minded 29er to scratch that itch. Something in steel for a SS for me - I ride a Singular, great bike, very affordable. You could also look at a Big Top - can ride it geared or SS. I saw a nice used one in the classifieds that's been tempting me... The SB95 looks great, but that's a big investment.

mtbr member
    I don't know...
    I demoed a few 29ers: a dos niner, surly, a couple fishers, and a couple miles on a friend's niner... my Sultan is the only 29er I've ridden that I wanted to ride again, and I wasn't blown away the first ride (neither by the wheels, nor the sultan's ride; the wheels are a much more subtle thing than people make it out to be, the suspension needed to break in, I think because the second ride was mind-blowing)

Maybe it's because people are so obnoxious about them; if I had a nickle for everyone I know that said they sold all their 26er stuff after the first time they threw a leg over a 29er... I'd have easily 35 or 40 cents.
    I guess what I'm saying is, if I got a budget 29er a couple years ago, it would probably be gathering dust now.

OP: where is that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I don't know...
    I demoed a few 29ers: a dos niner, surly, a couple fishers, and a couple miles on a friend's niner... my Sultan is the only 29er I've ridden that I wanted to ride again, and I wasn't blown away the first ride (neither by the wheels, nor the sultan's ride; the wheels are a much more subtle thing than people make it out to be, the suspension needed to break in, I think because the second ride was mind-blowing)

Maybe it's because people are so obnoxious about them; if I had a nickle for everyone I know that said they sold all their 26er stuff after the first time they threw a leg over a 29er... I'd have easily 35 or 40 cents.
    I guess what I'm saying is, if I got a budget 29er a couple years ago, it would probably be gathering dust now.

OP: where is that?
    Both pictures are at local trails in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area. The 29 pic it at Horseshoe and the 5 pic is at Sansom Park.

Big Hittin'
    i hate 29'ers
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

ASR5 then BigTop

I have an ASR5 but it was out of commission for a while, and I bought a BigTop as a second bike. I still prefer the ASR5 and the way it is quicker to steer and lift over obstacles. I'm not totally convinced by the 29'er thing. It definitely takes more energy to get going and on my local trails where maneuvering over and between rocks at a slow pace is tricky, the big wheels don't seem to help. But, on the other hand I quite like the speed and way it tracks around corners on less technical and smoother terrain. It's definitely a great bike to have as a back-up, but I'll stick with 26" wheels on my next purchase - perhaps the SB66 once it drops in price....

mtbr member
    @bailey-

did you demo a sb66? I wanted to know your thoughts between that and your 5. thx-
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    @bailey-

did you demo a sb66? I wanted to know your thoughts between that and your 5. thx-
    I have not, I don't feel as though a heavier 26" is anything I need to be looking at.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    I have not, I don't feel as though a heavier 26" is anything I need to be looking at.
    gotcha, thanks b-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I don't know...
    ^^^^this is it for me, for sure.

Neither wheel size is ever going away, so why even debate? It's like debating cats Vs. dogs..... or cars Vs. trucks.

Oh btw- 29'ers suck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Niners?

DH 29er - k.shiz - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

I found this in another part of the forum. Good stuff! I prefer riding niners but I love bicycles. Ride whatever you feel good riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefcuddy View Post
    ride whatever you feel good riding.

+1.

mtbr member
    I love the ASR5C and ride it on long ride and race a few 12hr each year. I went with a Niner One9 and a SWorks Stumpjumper Single Speed both are 29ers and SS. I am trying to race the local Over The Hump series on 2012 on the SS so I am riding the SS on Monday-Friday and keeping the plush Yeti for the weekend rides.
    Plus riding the SS in winter keeps the wear down on the Yeti. I built them all with good parts, I think I have a good addiction to XTR stuff.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    I am no longer qualified to give ride impressions. The day after I rode the SB95, I took the 5 to my home trail and it felt like it was beating the crap out of me. I thought it had to be in my head and that the 29 couldn't be that much smoother.

We had a lot of rain so yesterday was the first day I was back on the trail and it felt like I had 60 psi in my tires. I was like "crap, my bike sucks now, I shouldn't have ever ridden the 29".

About 3 miles in, I pulled over to just see if something was wrong with my bike and all the sudden it hit me. I had my fork locked out and had extra psi in my shock and the PP on 3. I did this to ride a gravel, flat trail during the rain and forgot to change it back.

Unlocked the fork, let a little out of the shock and PP to 2 and it was butta again.

If I am that stupid, I can no longer comment on the ride of any bike...

mtbr member
    I've had 3 HT 29ers and demoed a number of FS 29ers. Prefer my ASR 5C to any of the FS 29ers. Comes off as much more nimble and fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmilliron View Post
    I've had 3 HT 29ers and demoed a number of FS 29ers. Prefer my ASR 5C to any of the FS 29ers. Comes off as much more nimble and fun.
    What FS 29'ers have you tried? I have never ridden a 5C, just curious on your opinion of FS 29'ers.

mtbr member
    Put my 5 on a diet now that I love it again. If I can get 2 ounces off of it, it will be in the 22's.

Last edited by Bailey44; 01-13-2012 at 02:56 PM.