Stupid is, as stupid does

I never thought it would look so good

I never thought I would have such a strong emotional reaction for a rear shock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I never thought it would look so good-image.jpg  

I never thought it would look so good-image.jpg  

2012 Ibis Mojo HD (153mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    What's it going on?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That thing got a hemi?
    Jokes aside I prefer components that don't limit me to three settings. I tried it this year and didn't like a single setting. ymmv

Lol, I used to drive a Hemi. That beast was thirsty. It will be going on this frame when it arrives in a week. I am not a fan of CTD. Notice the sticker that says Custom Tune. I am between 220-230 with gear. I am only planning on leaving it in one setting. Wide open. Can't wait for the frame to arrive, put the shock on it, build it, than ride it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I never thought it would look so good-image.jpg  

Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    spunkmtb: get your fox air can volume adjust spacers, plan on putting in the smallest one, that's my take. I was about 220 when I got my '95a in '12 and that's what I did to make it feel right (sag + good travel + good bottom out handling). The '14 shock you are getting may behave differently, but the spacers are cheap so get them on hand just in case. That's my unsolicited 2c.

Was that with a Float X shock. I am hoping that the combination of the bigger shock plus the custom valving they did for me will remedy any problems. Hoping anyway. Time will tell once its built up and ridden.
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso

mtbr member
    The only emotional reaction I have is sadness....since it reminds me of the Fox DHX Air: the worst air shock ever made.

I'm still mad that I had to spend $80 to have Fox re-tune my 34 from crappy to acceptable when it should have been free under warranty. Now I remember why I left Fox years ago for X-Fusion and Rock Shox. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Specialized Crave Rigid

This was a deal that I couldn't pass up. I had a pre propedal shock. I sent it in to see how much I would get for a trade in. I received a very good trade in value on it. Which made this affordable (Enough). Still wont touch a ctd fork. Never have, never will.
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    Lol, I used to drive a Hemi. That beast was thirsty. It will be going on this frame when it arrives in a week. I am not a fan of CTD. Notice the sticker that says Custom Tune. I am between 220-230 with gear. I am only planning on leaving it in one setting. Wide open. Can't wait for the frame to arrive, put the shock on it, build it, than ride it.

SWEEET! Let's us know how she rides. So the CTD now stands for Custom Tuned Doohicky?
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

mtbr member
    I hope it works out for you. Maybe the "Custom Tune" will do the trick. I absolutely hate CTD and regret selling my Mojo HD and Monarch Plus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoyken View Post
    The only emotional reaction I have is sadness....since it reminds me of the Fox DHX Air: the worst air shock ever made.

I'm still mad that I had to spend $80 to have Fox re-tune my 34 from crappy to acceptable when it should have been free under warranty. Now I remember why I left Fox years ago for X-Fusion and Rock Shox. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    So did you get the new '14 internals for your 34? If you don't mind me asking did you send the whole fork back to Fox or go through your LBS? Also, how long did it take the switch everything out. I'm interested in getting the new guts for my 34 as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbaduba View Post
    So did you get the new '14 internals for your 34? If you don't mind me asking did you send the whole fork back to Fox or go through your LBS? Also, how long did it take the switch everything out. I'm interested in getting the new guts for my 34 as well.
    Yeah, I shipped my fork to Fox for the '14 tune. The '13 tune was absolute garbage. I still can't believe that Fox claims that that was what we asked for. Took a little over a week to get back to me, but I only live about 1.5 hours away from Fox. I spent $10 to ship it to them and they charged me $69 for the work and return shipping.

While I'm still pissed that I had to fork out (pun intended) $80 for a tune that should have come on the fork from the start, it was worth it. If I could afford it I would have bought a Pike and sold the Fox, but I would have been out of pocket $400+ given the current market for the 34. I was expecting to spend around $60, but it's still cheaper than a new fork.

The fork is still finicky and I'm still trying to find the perfect air pressure, but the Descend mode no longer blows through it's travel with every tap of the brakes, and the Climb mode is now a full lockout. Seriously, I can throw all my weight on the bars and I'll only get a few millimeters of movement. Trail mode is not bad and works well for smoother trails, but I want to get Descend tuned well enough that I can just leave it there.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

The frame arrived

The frame finally arrived

Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso

Now we have this

Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso

I Like Bicycles
    DB Air > All.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

Quote Originally Posted by Thimk View Post
    DB Air > All.
    I have a CCDBA on my Mojo HD. However, I was able to get this Fox Float X with a custom tune for a really good price from Fox.
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have a CCDBA on my Mojo HD. However, I was able to get this Fox Float X with a custom tune for a really good price from Fox.
    Give us an update and comparo of the CCDBA. Thinking of going w/ CCDBA on my SB95.
    Last edited by White Bear; 10-27-2013 at 08:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    How did you manage to get fox to give you discount?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    The dbair works really well on my 95a, fwiw.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    This is what i call a custom tune.
    From Avalanche Downhill Racing.
    Hi/Lo Comp, Rebound, Speed Sensitive Stack. And an extended reservoir option if needed.

Float X High/Low SSD Kit

Quote Originally Posted by diamondratuk View Post
    This is what i call a custom tune.
    From Avalanche Downhill Racing.
    Hi/Lo Comp, Rebound, Speed Sensitive Stack. And an extended reservoir option if needed.

Float X High/Low SSD Kit

Now that is a good looking custom shock. Yeah, I considered getting an old DHX air and sending it to Avy.

I got the good deal on the Float X by sending an old useless shock to Fox & Telling them that I wanted to upgrade it to a new shock. When you order direct from Fox the custom tuning is free. The shock I think I paid $440 shipped. It was my best option considering my budget or lack there of.

As far as my front fork, I still may send it to Avalanche for their tuning plus get the travel boosted to 150 or get the Push RC2 conversion for my fox 34 and change the internal travel to 150.

I am having shock envy right now. That's a beautiful shock with sexy innards. I almost have all my for the build. I'm shooting for 26.5lbs on an XL frame.

What's killing me is due to an injury I really won't get the bike built up until the end of December and definitely won't be riding it until next year.
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Now that is a good looking custom shock. Yeah, I considered getting an old DHX air and sending it to Avy.

I got the good deal on the Float X by sending an old useless shock to Fox & Telling them that I wanted to upgrade it to a new shock. When you order direct from Fox the custom tuning is free. The shock I think I paid $440 shipped. It was my best option considering my budget or lack there of.

As far as my front fork, I still may send it to Avalanche for their tuning plus get the travel boosted to 150 or get the Push RC2 conversion for my fox 34 and change the internal travel to 150.

I am having shock envy right now. That's a beautiful shock with sexy innards. I almost have all my for the build. I'm shooting for 26.5lbs on an XL frame.

What's killing me is due to an injury I really won't get the bike built up until the end of December and definitely won't be riding it until next year.
    Have you tried a monarch plus? Any reviews or insights? I have a sb66c and definitely looking into getting rid of the stock CTD that it comes with. I've heard nothing but good things about rockshox in general, think about going RS for both front and rear.

Guess it is time I should post this photo. I've had the frame for a few months now. My arm was in a cast for 3.5 months. It's been off now for 1.5 months and I am slowly starting to ride again. I didn't want to build the bike until I felt confident enough to ride it.

To answer this question:
    Have you tried a monarch plus? Any reviews or insights? I have a sb66c and definitely looking into getting rid of the stock CTD that it comes with. I've heard nothing but good things about rockshox in general, think about going RS for both front and rear.

Had the price been right on a Monarch Plus, yes I would have happily used one. But I think I paid $420 shipped with the custom tuning for the Float X shock

All in all I really can't wait until my wrist is strong enough to get on this bike. I am still struggling with being able to grab the brake lever strongly enough.

Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso

Finally a rolling chassis. Sorry for the lousy photo but its dark outside and I just finished up mounting the wheels. I have all the parts to build but it is still just a matter of finding time to finish. Also I converted my Mojo HD to the dreaded "650B" and am having too much fun riding it right now. I did a 5hr 30 mile ride yesterday. Right now the bike weighs 19.9lbs. My goal hopefully is 27.5lbs.

Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso