Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    In my mind, I can do it!

I did it. I raced on a 575, it can be done...

Ok, so I didn't podium or anything but I did beat my best time on that trail. I did pass a lot of guys who were riding lighter bikes. And all in all I would say that it was a blast racing on a 575.

Could I have done better on a lighter race bike? Maybe, marginally but not enough to make a difference really. The Yeti just ate up the trail and I think that gave me more energy.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Congrats iviguy! What type of race and course was it? Way to represent for the 575 crowd...

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    Congrats iviguy! What type of race and course was it? Way to represent for the 575 crowd...
    It was an 8 mile course through tight technical singletrack. I ride the course all the time as it's very close to my house. An 8 mile course doesn't sound like much but it's a pretty challenging course. The fastest beginner in my class was about 40 minutes and I was about 9 minutes behind that with the slowest in my class being about 71 minutes.

Oddly enough, while I'm sitting there at the start waiting on them to line us up to go some guy pulls up next to me on a black Yeti 575 with a Fox 36 and a DHX Air. Suddenly I was feeling like I had nice light race bike... LOL...

If I would have had a light racer type bike I might have been able to shave off a minute, maybe. But it's a toss up. I definately didn't feel like I was on a hog though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did Iviguy tell you all that this was for over the Over-60-and Back-to-Biking Club? You ought to be ashamed of yourself....

Kidding, of course- way to go. That 575 can run pretty hard if needed

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Way to go, Iviguy!

575 race machine!

Who is John Galt?
    So how did you run it? Did you firm up the suspension or run locked out? I've had my 575 going pretty fast here lately, it really likes to go fast through the rock gardens especially. I'm even getting the hang of the switchback turns going uphill. One thing I've noticed, if you hit a big root going uphill you better have some speed or the momentum stops. Is that the single pivot design at work or do they all do that?
    What, me hurry?

I would say they all do that... the amount of momentum needed is relative to the root size

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Did Iviguy tell you all that this was for over the Over-60-and Back-to-Biking Club? You ought to be ashamed of yourself....
    Kidding, of course- way to go. That 575 can run pretty hard if needed
    Yeah, I had to redesign my Yeti for that race too since I over did it on the Exlax the night before....

Sweet redesign

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    So how did you run it? Did you firm up the suspension or run locked out? I've had my 575 going pretty fast here lately, it really likes to go fast through the rock gardens especially. I'm even getting the hang of the switchback turns going uphill. One thing I've noticed, if you hit a big root going uphill you better have some speed or the momentum stops. Is that the single pivot design at work or do they all do that?
    I set it to firm and lowered the front fork to about 120mm. It did real well. I managed to pass several people in a different class that started 2 to 4 minutes before the class I raced. Whatever was faultering was NOT a bike issue. It was an old man, me issue.... The bike rocked!

Hi!!!
    Congrats iviguy!

If I ever get in good enough shape, I was thinking of entering a race next spring...
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Seems to be basic physics that you will slow quite a bit! Your forward momentum is used up compressing that sock. , I think the Yeti tackles large roots / step ups quite well (1-2 foot). There is a 2 foot step up root on NW timber trail - Tiger Mnt Wa that I used to make 75-80 % of the time on my 5 inch Jamis XLT 2.0. It was certainly challenging. So far I've hit it 3 times on the Yeti and blew right over it. That spot seems pretty easy now.

Who is John Galt?
    Two of you guys bring your 575s down next year and we'll do this with an all Yeti team:

http://www.mesacycles.com/MesaCycles12hrnew.pdf

Lots of beer, women riding in thongs, race start in colored smoke and an occasional pink bike with streamers from the handlebars.

Not to mention a challenging rocky 14-mile course around a lake and some night riding thrown in for good measure.
    What, me hurry?

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Congrats iviguy!

If I ever get in good enough shape, I was thinking of entering a race next spring...
    Just do it.... Heck I knew I would suck but it was a fun experience.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Two of you guys bring your 575s down next year and we'll do this with an all Yeti team:

http://www.mesacycles.com/MesaCycles12hrnew.pdf

Lots of beer, women riding in thongs, race start in colored smoke and an occasional pink bike with streamers from the handlebars.

Not to mention a challenging rocky 14-mile course around a lake and some night riding thrown in for good measure.
    That looks like a blast. My bro-in-law in Boise wants me to do some epic they have out there somewhere in Idaho this summer. I think the Yeti is anxious....

Hi!!!

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    My bro-in-law in Boise wants me to do some epic they have out there somewhere in Idaho this summer.
    Which epic?
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

In my mind, I can do it!
    Which epic?
    He is sending the info to me. I don't recall what it is called but it's like 60 miles of riding and there is some cabin to stay at as well. Sounds fun. Can't wait to get the info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Upset Tonka - Easy for you! I still haven't cleared it.

That's the big root bundle after the left turn just past where the trail has eroded away? Maybe I need to hit it faster? It seems like I hit my big ring, everytime I give it a go. That is the only section left for a dabless ride.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkabob
    Seems to be basic physics that you will slow quite a bit! Your forward momentum is used up compressing that sock. , I think the Yeti tackles large roots / step ups quite well (1-2 foot). There is a 2 foot step up root on NW timber trail - Tiger Mnt Wa that I used to make 75-80 % of the time on my 5 inch Jamis XLT 2.0. It was certainly challenging. So far I've hit it 3 times on the Yeti and blew right over it. That spot seems pretty easy now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It was an 8 mile course through tight technical singletrack. I ride the course all the time as it's very close to my house. An 8 mile course doesn't sound like much but it's a pretty challenging course. The fastest beginner in my class was about 40 minutes and I was about 9 minutes behind that with the slowest in my class being about 71 minutes.

Oddly enough, while I'm sitting there at the start waiting on them to line us up to go some guy pulls up next to me on a black Yeti 575 with a Fox 36 and a DHX Air. Suddenly I was feeling like I had nice light race bike... LOL...

If I would have had a light racer type bike I might have been able to shave off a minute, maybe. But it's a toss up. I definately didn't feel like I was on a hog though.
    That was me. I was leading my class (B6) until I flatted just past the Bankshot. I raced mine at LB Houston a few weeks ago and got 5th. I'm faster on my 575 than I am on my Trek Fuel EX6...but then again, my 575 is lighter than my Fuel.

I ran the same race course earlier Saturday and turned in a 42 minute time. Are you racing at Johnsons Branch?

Last edited by Voodoosix; 10-15-2006 at 02:16 AM.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoosix
    That was me. I was leading my class (B6) until I flatted just past the Bankshot. I raced mine at LB Houston a few weeks ago and got 5th. I'm faster on my 575 than I am on my Trek Fuel EX6...but then again, my 575 is lighter than my Fuel.

I ran the same race course earlier Saturday and turned in a 42 minute time. Are you racing at Johnsons Branch?

Hey! Loved the build on your bike. I won't be doing JB this time around. 42 minutes? 49 minutes was really fast for me. LOL. It's all in my lack of endurance too.

I agree though that the 575 is really great even for racing. Your build must put you about 30lbs too.

Good luck at JB. Say hi if you ever see me on the trail.

-Mike

In my mind, I can do it!
    Which epic?
    It looks like some course by Idaho City. You can do the trails and they have Yurts available about 30 miles into the course to stay at for about $60 a night. It looks like a cool deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey! Loved the build on your bike. I won't be doing JB this time around. 42 minutes? 49 minutes was really fast for me. LOL. It's all in my lack of endurance too.

I agree though that the 575 is really great even for racing. Your build must put you about 30lbs too.

Good luck at JB. Say hi if you ever see me on the trail.

-Mike
    42 minutes nearly had me puking.

I've never weighed my bike, but I suspect you are right about it being around 30 or so. I weight 255 so I'm not worried about the bike weight!

I'm not positive I'm going to race JB. I may just go out and take pictures. Lugging my camera stuff around the race is almost more a workout than competing!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoosix
    42 minutes nearly had me puking.

I've never weighed my bike, but I suspect you are right about it being around 30 or so. I weight 255 so I'm not worried about the bike weight!

I'm not positive I'm going to race JB. I may just go out and take pictures. Lugging my camera stuff around the race is almost more a workout than competing!
    Hey, since you are running the juicy's with the wavey rotors, do you also have the brake squeal like a love sick Yeti? I think it's common with those wavey rotors.

Hi!!!
    It looks like some course by Idaho City. You can do the trails and they have Yurts available about 30 miles into the course to stay at for about $60 a night. It looks like a cool deal.
    He's probably talking about this....

http://www.idahoparks.org/assets/con...e%20Trails.pdf

Who is John Galt?
    Hey, since you are running the juicy's with the wavey rotors, do you also have the brake squeal like a love sick Yeti? I think it's common with those wavey rotors.
    I have the Juicy 7s, 8 inch rotors and yes they do squeal but only the rear. I have the 6 inchers on my Fisher and guess what, no squeal. Go figure. But I think it's the pads that doing it, someone had a post on some aftermarket ones I need to look into...
    What, me hurry?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast