mtbr member
    Aug 2006

How should I build up a 575?

I am looking into buying a 575 as a 'do-everything' bike for Australian conditions, and would like some feedback from people (Australian or otherwise) about how to build it up.
    I was wondering about a few things.
    Firstly, is the Australian 'race' build kit worth the extra $ over the 'ride' one? The store would let me swap individual parts around for non-stock equivalent ones anyway. 'Race' is about $1300 AUD more than 'ride' (about $750 US). The advantages of 'race' kit over 'ride' are as follows: Juicy 7 instead of Juicy 5 brakes, Thompson stem and post instead of RaceFace Evolve XC, RaceFace Deus LP cranks instead of RaceFace Evolve XC, X0 instead of X9 derailleur, and Crossmax Enduro wheels instead of Mavic XM317 rims with Yeti/ Shimano hubs and DTSwiss spokes.
    Secondly, for use mostly on singletrack and trails, with some lift assisted riding each year, is the upgrade from RP3 shock to DHX Air worth it given the weight gain? Some say that the RP3 stiffens up a lot on long descents and becomes harsh. Is this true?
    Thirdly, should I keep the fork as a 32 Float RLC, change to a 32 TALAS RLC, or get a 20mm hub and a RS Pike (abobut 400g more again)? Or even go with something completely different?
    Finally, is the few hundred gram weight loss of the carbon chainstays worth the extra flex some people report them as having?
    Fell free to suggest anything you think would make the bike better, even if it is not related to my questions, and is not outlandishly expensive.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    If it where me (keep in mind I'm from the east coast of the US, and ride a hardtail...)

To me the wheels are the only upgrade from the race to the ride that's worth it. If I where buying parts seperately I'd never consider anything but Thomson post and stem, but I don't think it's worth the money over the RF stuff, the Jucy 7s only get you the TPA adjustment vs the 5s - easily possible to live without. The differences between the Deus and Evolve are minimal, and you couldn't tell the difference between X0 and X9 rear derailleur if you life depended on it (if you are good enough that the weight difference would matter someone would be paying you to ride the X0).

I'd get a through axle fork. If that's a Pike or somthing else I can't say; Pike riders sure seem to like them. Of course this throws out the wheel upgrade. Minor sidetrack: these days I don't see the point of front quick releases; the nader-tabs (lawyer lips) make the "quick" in quick-release a joke; disc brakes kind of make them necessary. With maxel, manitou's QRTA, or I believe marzocchi have or are developing somthing similar, you can get a TA wheel off faster than I can get my QR wheel off. There is no signifigant weight peanalty with TA, and there is a stiffness/steering advantage, and the 110mm flange spacing makes front wheels stronger.

In my mind, I can do it!
    I agree the wheel upgrade is worth it and you get some nicer parts as well. The carbon rear is probably very nice but probably not needed. Many people like the Pike. Or if you want a no fuss fork get the new Vanilla.

If money is tight just get the Enduro package (maybe what you are calling "ride"). If you have it to spend the upgrade in parts would be worth it in my book.

Oh, and change the tires.. The CrossMark's are fast rolling and hook up well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the quick replies,

I was planning on switching the tires out for the Weirwolf/Motoraptor i have on my current bike (which I would sell if I bought the 575), so that is not a problem. The one thing that has not been answered yet is the question about the DHX Air over the RP3. Is it worth it or not, given that I will sometimes be doing fairly extended, rocky descents, in addition to general trail riding? Is there a notable difference between the two, or does the DHX just feel heavier for this sort of bike?

Thanks in advance

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by agrajag184
    The one thing that has not been answered yet is the question about the DHX Air over the RP3. Is it worth it or not, given that I will sometimes be doing fairly extended, rocky descents, in addition to general trail riding? Is there a notable difference between the two, or does the DHX just feel heavier for this sort of bike?
    RP3 vs DHX-Air is a personal preference, but there are some factors that lead me to get a RP3.

1. At my weight (195lbs), the DHX-A needs huge pressure (like over 275lbs) to achieve the correct sag. Max pressure is something like 300psi, if I remember correctly, so being that close to max pressure scared me off the DHX-A.

2. PUSH Treatment - PUSH does not, and will not ever from what I've been told, work on the DHX-A. After getting my last Float PUSH'd, this was a pretty big factor to me as their custom shock made a huge difference on my last ride.

3. Weight & Simplicity - The DHX-A is IMO significantly heavier and more tedious to setup. The RP3 is very easy to setup (Air pressure & rebound), and gives you 3 different ProPedal adjustments that are easy to access on the fly.

The DHX-A certainly holds the edge in tuneability, letting you adjust a myriad of aspects about the shock. Someone who is very particular about their setup (and knows how the adjustments work), may be better off getting the DHX-A so they can fine tune the shock even more. Of course, I'll just get my RP3 PUSH'd this Winter for my preferences.

Ask yourself what your intended purpose and style of riding will be. I ride a lot of long ups followed by long downs, which leads perfectly to the RP3 in firm mode going up then soft mode on the way down. If I was doing mainly shuttles and such, the DHX-A might be the better way to go.

Food for thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agrajag184
    I am looking into buying a 575 as a 'do-everything' bike for Australian conditions, and would like some feedback from people (Australian or otherwise) about how to build it up.
    I was wondering about a few things.
    Firstly, is the Australian 'race' build kit worth the extra $ over the 'ride' one? The store would let me swap individual parts around for non-stock equivalent ones anyway. 'Race' is about $1300 AUD more than 'ride' (about $750 US). The advantages of 'race' kit over 'ride' are as follows: Juicy 7 instead of Juicy 5 brakes, Thompson stem and post instead of RaceFace Evolve XC, RaceFace Deus LP cranks instead of RaceFace Evolve XC, X0 instead of X9 derailleur, and Crossmax Enduro wheels instead of Mavic XM317 rims with Yeti/ Shimano hubs and DTSwiss spokes.
    Secondly, for use mostly on singletrack and trails, with some lift assisted riding each year, is the upgrade from RP3 shock to DHX Air worth it given the weight gain? Some say that the RP3 stiffens up a lot on long descents and becomes harsh. Is this true?
    Thirdly, should I keep the fork as a 32 Float RLC, change to a 32 TALAS RLC, or get a 20mm hub and a RS Pike (abobut 400g more again)? Or even go with something completely different?
    Finally, is the few hundred gram weight loss of the carbon chainstays worth the extra flex some people report them as having?
    Fell free to suggest anything you think would make the bike better, even if it is not related to my questions, and is not outlandishly expensive.

Thanks in advance
    If you're using the 575 for mostly trail riding with the occassional shuttle, I'd go with the 32 Talas RLC (or RS Revelation U-Turn), and the Race kit (but I'm not a big fan of the RF bb and crankset-I'd trade that for an XT unit). If I had the option of carbon stays when I bought my 575, I would've done it in a heartbeat (I also have a Fuel 100 and have not had any problems with the carbon everything on that bike). The RP3 is a great all around shock and I have not noticed the "stiffening on long descents" effect you mentioned (I've taken it on pure 30 + minutes of descending-after 3 or 4 hours of pure climbing)...
    Just my $.02 of course...

EDR
    -RP3 stiffening? Never heard or experienced that.
    -XMax Enduros? Nice wheels, I had a set
    - TA fork? Nice! The Pike is great, worth every extra gram if you ride hard and like to get the wheels off the ground occasionally. If you are a weight weenie go with something lighter. Keep in mind the XMax Enduros are only 24 spoke (if I remember correctly) and I don't think you can use 20mm TA hub on those. You need a 32 or 36 spoke set up.
    -RF Evolve xc crank or Deus? I have the Evolve. Imo the middle and outer chainrings suck. Mine are completely shark finned and skip badly after 1 year. I know this is not uncommon but my LX crankset was bombproof and I never replaced a single ring over 2 1/2 years of riding. I just bought Deus rings to replace them, hope they hold up better. I have no compaints otherwise with the Evolve BB or crankarms.
    -DHX/RP3? Sorry, never used the DHX.

clone
    May 2004
    Agree that the Crosmax is the major dollar item in there - but I'd pay a fair premium to keep the contact adjuster on my juicy sevens. Love 'em.

On the shock issue, if you're really going to shuttle go the Pike - or better yet the 2-stage Lyrik if you can get one in Oz yet. If you're going to spend lots of time riding up hills I'd think seriously about the RS Revelation. I just put one on and am loving it! I wouldn't bother with the DHX shock upgrade.