mtbr member

How important is the Yeti warranty to you?

I'm torn between two (really 3) good options. I realize this is a personal decision but I'd like to get some of your expert opinions on the value of Yeti's warranty.

I'm going to start building up an ASR-5 very soon. I have three options for the frame.

2012 ASR-5C's are still available in my size for $1920. Love the frame, not crazy about the colors (black with white or turquoise graphics). That would come with the full warranty.

2012 ASR-5 aluminum are still available but not in great quantities. The frame's 3/4 lbs. heavier than the carbon and I like light bikes -- being more of an XC rider than anything else. The color is OK. Not my first choice but the turquoise frame is available and it's not bad. This would have a warranty but it appears to only be available with the kashima shock -- a $200 upcharge I don't need.

I can get a used 2011 ASR-5C in my favorite bike color, white, for $1500. This is $420 cheaper than a new one but has no warranty.

The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on the 2011 ASR is the lack of a warranty. Can you convince me that saving a few hundred AND getting my favorite color is worth more than the warranty?

mtbr member
    $420 is not enough to save on a used bike with no warranty compared to a newer model with warranty. Also, the 2012 models look great in person.
    You have to really like white to make that decision. : )
    SEI Racing

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    If the 2011 was NOS via a LBS that will support you, then you HAVE a warranty.

If the 2011 is from "some joe" then I'd think it not worth the money.

FWIW, I'd think it POSSIBLE that Yeti would support manu-warranty level thing on the frameset even for a 2nd owner, but I'd not EXPECT them to do so nor ASSUME they would unless asked very nicely.

Builders like Yeti seem to take pride in their work and want their name to be held up with quality and respect associated with it.

But if the frameset was ride-(ab)used then there can be no assumption of any warranty support at all.

FWIW: I had a Niner MCR frame break on a top tube just behind the head-gusset weld in '10 ... I sent a nice polite email with pictures attached and a true description of the known history of this second- or third-hand frame, and they supported me to the point of giving me crash-repl pricing on a replacement frameset. That would be pretty much the limit of what I would EXPECT from Yeti for their support on a second hand frame.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately, my procrastination may have made the decision for me.

I can't find a small, 2012 ASR-5C anywhere online. I'll check my LBS but it appears the smalls are all gone. I've been checking them every day for the last few weeks and the main places I look (Comp Cyclist, Jenson, Backcountry) no longer show the small.

In fact, I even wonder if these online companies even have the frames in stock. On the same day, all of them went from having smalls and larges to just having larges. Or maybe they are all the same company?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Or maybe they are all the same company?
    Some online shops ARE the same entity, just different faces.

Some online shops stock nothing directly, and share the backing distributor.

I am REALLY conservative these days with online shopping .... only very tentatively start using a new one, and only with small purchases, until they prove out. I'd rather pay a couple percent more for the peace of mind that the vendor I am working with is in fact truthful and reliable ... when I can't work with my LBS that is.

EDR
    I've used Yeti warranty twice in my time owning 3 Yeti bikes. Never was I asked to provide proof of purchase. Don't assume the same will apply to you though. Technically I'm sure the warranty is for original owner.

I think the price on that used bike should come down some though.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    What Bear said. Many of the online guys are the same shop, so while it appears there are 3 frames in your size and color avail, it is really only 1. And that same frame may get offered with 3 different build kits, so it looks like 9 bikes are out there, but in reality....

Call your LBS, see what they can get you. IMHO, $420 is not anywhere close to what the discount would need to be to buy second hand. You probably don't know how the bike was ridden, and if it breaks, Yeti (IMHO) would possibly help you out, but at crash replacement cost. Front or rear triangle is typically $400.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I can't find a small, 2012 ASR-5C anywhere online. I'll check my LBS but it appears the smalls are all gone. I've been checking them every day for the last few weeks and the main places I look (Comp Cyclist, Jenson, Backcountry) no longer show the small.
    Kind of a disappointment for you as JensonUSA still shows a complete build ASR5c available in small. Maybe call them and see if they would part with just the frame??? Probably not though since they buy the complete as a package from Yeti.

mtbr member
    The white 2011 sold. Probably a good thing as I agree it was too expensive for a used frame. It had already expired once at $1500 and was relisted. I decided to wait and see if expired and was relisted lower. It sold at $1500 so good for him. Now I'm off to find a new ASR!