mtbr member
    Sep 2005

How does your SB66 climb?

Looking to purchase a SB66c, coming from a VPP platform Santa Cruz LTc 26er. I was wondering how the bike climbs? I live in Albuquerque and we have quite a bit of climbing with loose rock etc. I'm a little conflicted between the SB66 and the Ibis HDR.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Just got my SB66C and it climbs like a goat. The HDR climbs great too from what I remember but the SB66C is much better on the downhill.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I also changed from the LTc to the SB66C, and to me the SB66 climbs better IMHO. Better traction to the rear wheel when the terrain gets rocky and steep..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah I've noticed that riding newer bikes that the rear wheel doesn't spin out as much riding up loose stuff. Maybe it's the rear thru axle. Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    I'm curious - Looking past the suspension design, do you guys think that the geometry of the SB66(c) assists the rider in climbing more efficiently?

mtbr member
    I've ridden all three platforms. While the geometry (and tire choice) matter as well, here is what I think:
    Switch -- I think climbs the best. The leverage curve gives you good small bump compliance (helpful for keeping the tire on the ground), and it also feels like there is better power transfer (my opinion)
    VPP -- the leverage curve also keeps the tire to the ground, but IMO it never feels as "snappy" when you put the power down
    DW Link -- to me, the HDR is quite supple on the downs, but going up, the anti-squat of the design can work against you in terms of keeping the wheel planted. Feels lively tho.

Just my opinion, and you're asking in the Yeti forum, so you're going to get biased answers. I'm sure you'd hear VPP is best in the SC forum, and DW is best in the Ibis forum.

Bike fit is just as important. I like the long TT of Yetis, and always feel really cramped on Ibis bikes (even going up a size). You just have to ride them and decide for yourself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I had a carbon enduro and my full aluminum SB66 blows it out of the water up and down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just moved from a Nomadc to an SB66c. No comparison. The SB66 climbs way better.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    was scanning the forums and just saw this thread. I recently got a SB66c, upgrading from a 575. I've only been able to take it out on the road since we're under tons of snow still, but all I gotta say is wow. It may not look like it with 6" of travel, but this bike climbs way better than the 575. It's a bit astonishing how efficient it is even when out of the saddle and jamming on the pedals uphill. I have a 4mi, 1k of vert pre-season road ride I hit to get my fitness up and gauge my progress during the mud season here. I was totally surprised how fast i pedaled. Super bike indeed.

mtbr member
    Mine climbs like a spider monkey all jacked up on Mountain Dew.

mtbr member
    Mine just sits there doing nothing until I put a leg over it. Then it just rockets forward when you push the pedal. Does not matter if it is up, flat or down is just rockets forward.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty4x View Post
    Looking to purchase a SB66c, coming from a VPP platform Santa Cruz LTc 26er. I was wondering how the bike climbs? I live in Albuquerque and we have quite a bit of climbing with loose rock etc. I'm a little conflicted between the SB66 and the Ibis HDR.

Thanks!

I just got back into mountain biking as I found the hardtail wasn't too much fun in the rocky terrain around ABQ.
    I have an SB66, and I'm working on developing skills. But my first ride in Cedro up 5 hills (I think that's the trail) I cleared that first time in my life.
    I rode Coyote this week-end, and though I pushed it a few times, that trail seemed doable to me in my not up to par skill set.
    The foothills don't seem like a challenge for this bike, and I'm hoping to get to otero canyon soon to test those trails out as well.

My issues are totally fitness and confidence. I generally can keep my lines well with this bike, and when I miss, I still seem to have the chance to recover and get back on line.

I can't compare to other high end bikes, but I'm very pleased with my SB66.

Tribe Member
    So I have a new 66 and I was coming from an ASR. The 66 is a heavier bike but climbs way better than my 23lb ASR. The design of the suspension helps the rear wheel stay grounded. Living in CO where everything starts with a big climb, I am quite happy with how it rides.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round