Not Bad

How do SB's cope with winter, mud, water, snow etc?

Hi

This probably seems like a dumb question but its that time of year when I start to worry about riding my main bike in the slop that is the British Autumn and Winter. My main bike is now a SB95c thankfully and because its such a nice bike I am worrying probably needlessly but more so than usual.

Just wondering how some of you guys have found your SB's to cope with extreme conditions? Should I be so precious and get a hard tail to thrash during the winter months?

I like to ride all year round, so hanging my riding shoes up over the winter isn't an option.

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't know if my opinion counts! This is my take on things! Sure you have an awesome bike but you should really ride the **** out of it rain, hail or snow and not worry about it getting damaged! Worry about having fun on it and not much else! It's a bike after a few years it will be replaced by another and the cycle begins again!! Worry more about how it will cope with you thrashing it to an inch of its life

Maybe this is not a good thing for some people but it's my take on material things! I had a sweet 12 911 turbo. I treated that car like a mistress her paint was like a pair of silk knickers! Now when i traded her in for another car all that made no differnce to its value. I got no more for it if I had drove it like I stole it and washed it ten minutes before calling at the dealers.

So now I use my stuff as it was intended and not frett over it getting damaged

Not Bad
    moneycash you are obviously a very wise man and I agree, I do spend too much time stressing over the carbon finish and now the bearings etc. I'm just going to ride the **** out of it (actually I already try my best at this!) like you say and try to stop worrying about it. Hell I might even go in my garage now and peel some of the 60 worth of helicopter tape I covered it (equipped with bubbles!) off of it!

You are right, it doesn't matter how I look after it within reason it'll still be worth a small fraction of what it cost me when I come to sell and replace it, the same as the BMW M3 I traded in last year and your 911! My M3 was supposed to be a 911, but instead we got baby number 3 so it'll have to wait for now!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Lol ... Peeling the helicopter tape off !! That's badass!!

Don't know about being wise! maybe I had a shake up that give my prioritys a scare!
    They are bikes maybe expensive bikes but just bikes and they don't have feelings! Their only purpose is for us to have fun on! It's not fun stressing over them! From experience usually everything can be fixed..
    I got a full set of bearings from a bearing supply shop for 80 so

Ride it to death, break it, fix it and ride it to death again.

Huckin' trails

Just ride it like hell. Don't worry about it, it's designed to take all the beating and trashing you're gonna go trough.

However, you should also make sure to clean all the dirt off after every ride and to do a few good service of the suspension linkage depending on how bad the riding conditions are. That way the bike will work as intended to for what it's intended to.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Not Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Just ride it like hell. Don't worry about it, it's designed to take all the beating and trashing you're gonna go trough.

However, you should also make sure to clean all the dirt off after every ride and to do a few good service of the suspension linkage depending on how bad the riding conditions are. That way the bike will work as intended to for what it's intended to.
    Thanks David C, you're right too.

How often do you think I should service the linkage? Full service or simply a strip and clean?

Not Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by moneycash View Post
    Lol ... Peeling the helicopter tape off !! That's badass!!

Don't know about being wise! maybe I had a shake up that give my prioritys a scare!
    They are bikes maybe expensive bikes but just bikes and they don't have feelings! Their only purpose is for us to have fun on! It's not fun stressing over them! From experience usually everything can be fixed..
    I got a full set of bearings from a bearing supply shop for 80 so

Ride it to death, break it, fix it and ride it to death again.
    Thanks money I hope that shake up wasn't too hard on you!

Not Bad
    Oh by the way, I haven't been able to bring myself to peeling any tape off yet...

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Thanks David C, you're right too.

How often do you think I should service the linkage? Full service or simply a strip and clean?
    Let's say you do it a full tear down once a year at least. To give you an idea, my commuter bike (hardtail) that I use year round almost daily in Montreal (we have very nasty winters too) get a full tear down before winter, usually late november, and another one in spring, usually April/May.

My mtbs get a dust off after every rides, and when I start to hear/feel crunch or other unusual noises, the concerned components get a full service. Since I don't get to ride my mtbs in bad weather/conditions as much as many people here, I don't really often do a full tear down of the bike. Maybe once every other year or when you can see it's more than needed.

Once in fall and once in spring should be a good maintenance schedule if you ride your MTB year round to start with. Then add as needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Not Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Let's say you do it a full tear down once a year at least. To give you an idea, my commuter bike (hardtail) that I use year round almost daily in Montreal (we have very nasty winters too) get a full tear down before winter, usually late november, and another one in spring, usually April/May.

My mtbs get a dust off after every rides, and when I start to hear/feel crunch or other unusual noises, the concerned components get a full service. Since I don't get to ride my mtbs in bad weather/conditions as much as many people here, I don't really often do a full tear down of the bike. Maybe once every other year or when you can see it's more than needed.

Once in fall and once in spring should be a good maintenance schedule if you ride your MTB year round to start with. Then add as needed.
    Thank you I will definitely start a similar regime myself on the Yeti, I'm usually pretty good at maintenance but the suspension setup of the switch link scares me. I know there are videos out there though so I'll just start watching a few. Thanks again.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    ... I'm usually pretty good at maintenance but the suspension setup of the switch link scares me ...
    If you're handy with the wrenches you don't need any videos, just grab the owner's manual from the Yeti site - it has all the directions and pictures for assembly, which in turn shows you disassembly. I rebuilt my SB95 last winter and it was no big deal. The only thing I learned outside of the manual that really helped were: a) the SB95 drive-side bearing and non-drive-side bushing can both be pressed in with the 1.5" headset press; b) the bearings in the Switch can be easily (if firmly) tapped out with a punch - the interior of the Switch halves includes guides for the punch.

Not Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    If you're handy with the wrenches you don't need any videos, just grab the owner's manual from the Yeti site - it has all the directions and pictures for assembly, which in turn shows you disassembly. I rebuilt my SB95 last winter and it was no big deal. The only thing I learned outside of the manual that really helped were: a) the SB95 drive-side bearing and non-drive-side bushing can both be pressed in with the 1.5" headset press; b) the bearings in the Switch can be easily (if firmly) tapped out with a punch - the interior of the Switch halves includes guides for the punch.
    Thanks bear much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rode mine in the snow a bunch last year, didn't seem to phase it.

mtbr member
    Same here, rode it all last winter. I think I had a total of about 500 miles in the snow. Yeti's do love the snow after all hahah.

Bike was torn down after the season and everything relubed and good to go for the summer then. Didn't see anything unusual. As mentioned just spray it off and put a fan on it to dry when you get home.

DSCN0068 by adamkob, on Flickr

26 for life.

Been great riding this winter. Got a new set of bearings to go in in the spring.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

Not Bad
    This is (literally) cool thanks guys.

Anyone got any experience is really thick, nasty mud?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just J - I can't add anything where an SB is concerned but with my now departed 575 I had the same thoughts as you. Sense prevailed and I just rode it all year round for 3 glorious years and serviced it properly and it was was fine.

Still got a good price for it even after that and it was ridden how it should of been.

Ride it hard and look after it sir.

Not Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunk View Post
    Just J - I can't add anything where an SB is concerned but with my now departed 575 I had the same thoughts as you. Sense prevailed and I just rode it all year round for 3 glorious years and serviced it properly and it was was fine.

Still got a good price for it even after that and it was ridden how it should of been.

Ride it hard and look after it sir.
    Sounds like a plan, thank you!