mtbr member
    May 2010

home made direct mount chain keeper - SB 66

I'm running a 2x10 and would like to go 1x10 with a bash guard. I'm already using a bionicon device to reduce chain slap on the bottom. I'm thinking of getting a piece of kydex and forming up a guide similar to the one below, but direct mount. The design would be very simple b/c the mounting bracket is already formed into the frame. All it needs to do is sit very close to the chain and prevent it from falling off to the inside. Before I order a piece of kydex from ebay and put some effort into this, anyone see a reason why it wouldn't work?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    Interesting idea. Be curious to see how it comes out. How do you plan on molding the kydex? Toaster oven or heat gun?

Oni

mtbr member
    May 2010
    In the oven at 275 to 300. A lot of the reviews on ebay where the kydex is sold used the oven method. The idea I have in my head would require very little molding b/c it would screw in at the direct mount spot and go straight down to the chain ring. The only molding would be to provide the correct offset so that it sits right up against the chain. Using some flexible sheet metal would be another option as well.

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    sounds like a fun project. would like to see pictures when you're done. good luck!

Oni

mtbr member
    May 2010
    This is what I came up with. I know there is room for improvement but not bad for less than $5 of material and about 1 hour of time. A heavier guage of steel would work better as this one is a little flimsy for my liking. I rode around last night and it doesn't rub but my after work ride today will tell if it actually keeps the chain from jumping off the inside. I'm going to replace the outer ring with a 32T BBG bashguard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails home made direct mount chain keeper - SB 66-photo1.jpg  

home made direct mount chain keeper - SB 66-photo2.jpg  

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    Huh. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Oni

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Anyone know if a BBG bashwich will work on a triple crank set? Looks like there is enough clearance for a 32T guard on the inner ring but its though to tell.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    For anyone that's interested I removed the home made chain guide and have been running without a clutch derailleur or chain retention device for over a month now. I've ridden about 40 miles of Pisgah and over 50 miles of the Raleigh area singletrack without one dropped chain. The BBG bash keeps the chain from dropping to the outside but there is nothing preventing the chain dropping to the inside and it just doesn't happen. There is zero chain slap and no front derailleur or chain retention device for the chain to hit so the drivetrain is very quiet.