mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Hold off on a SB5c for next year's colors?!?!?

was planning on building up a SB5c for this season but was wondering what the chances are that there will be a color change for next year (2016)

I already have a Turquoise Sb95 and will probably be ordering an ARC-C in Turquoise for this upcoming season. I just want something loud and proud for the SB5c.

What do you guys think? Black and Turquoise for years to come or will we see some different colors...
    Last edited by BHRuss; 01-14-2015 at 12:12 PM.

All bike, all the time
    My guess is that lots of aqua will get dropped from the 2016 lines rolled out at Sea Otter. Despite its "popularity" among current models, I just don't see that many bikes on the trail with it ó rather the alternate colors dominate. I think the carbon factory in Taiwan got a deal on aqua from some Japanese toy maker or maybe the Guatemalan Navy. But Yeti is another matter. It was turquoise before the aqua boom and will be turquoise long after. The color says Yeti. Still, I'd love to see the SBXcs come in a ripper red or screaming yellow. Not orange or green, too overdone. Full disclosure: I'm a blue hater. All shades. Even logos and tiny little highlights. To each his or her own, but cannot stand the blue.
    All bike, all the time

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    For what it's worth, the only other sample color I've seen of the SB5 was lime (the bright yellow we did on the SB66). We considered that for 2015, but ultimately scrapped it due to how much more difficult it is to offer 3 colors in your lineup than 2. Considering we do 5 sizes of each color, it makes it really tough to keep good stock on everything, and invariably, the one color/size we run out of is the one color/size that everyone wants.

I haven't seen any new colors being considered for 2016 yet, and if we did roll out some new colors, it probably wouldn't be until next fall.

Personally, I really dig the raw/gray SB5. It's not apparent in the photos on our website, but there's this really cool turquoise racing stripe down the spine of the frame that adds a nice pop to the aesthetics.

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    John - have you guys ever thought about offering custom colors as an additional option that the buyer pays for? Seems like frames and full-fledged Enve bikes are prices high enough, that it could be a cool way for the buyer to have a more unique ride. Porsche, for example, has some standard colors that don't change the cost, but then usually has a few special colors that charge a premium.

I have to figure that anyone willing to pay over 10K for a bike isn't going to mind paying an extra few hundred for a custom color. Maybe offer 2-3 special colors, and a few options for color decals?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would guess that the feasibility of custom colors would depend on where the finish is applied. Are the colors applied overseas where the carbon layup is done, or are they painted in Colorado? My guess is that the finish is done before they are shipped to the US, which would make custom colors prohibitively expensive.
    D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BHRuss View Post
    was planning on building up a SB5c for this season but was wondering what the chances are that there will be a color change for next year (2016)

I love the Yeti Turquoise but I'm conflicted about pulling the trigger on an Sb5c at the off chance there will be a white, yellow etc... one for the next year, I know I'll buy one, just not sure if I will right now or towards the fall when the new year colors come out.

I already have a Turquoise Sb95 and will be ordering an ARC-C in Turquoise for this upcoming season. I just want something loud and proud for the SB5c.

What do you guys think? Black and Turquoise for years to come or will we see some different colors...
    Buy it because it shreds, or just pull the trigger on this:
    Name:  Dynacraft-Girls-Hello-Kitty-Bike.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  36.1 KB

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    We've discussed offering custom colors at some point in the future, but right now, we're just not at that level in terms of systems and logistics. A few things to remember - first, we're a tiny company - just 25 guys busting their asses to keep things running as smoothly as possible. I can't speak for everyone at Yeti, but I rarely have a second of free time (I post in these forums on my own time because I like communicating with those of you who make my paycheck possible).

Second, our painting is done by a 3rd party vendor overseas, and they spray them on racks, not individually, to try to shorten a lead time that is already longer than we'd like. They'd have to set aside at least one day per month to shoot customs, so you can expect a month or more delay to your order (plus whatever the cost would be to manage the project and pay the paint shop to do all this). Also, although we've found that the quality and price are excellent with our overseas partners who do the painting, logistics is not their strong suit, so there'd be a series of hurdles to clear there as well.

Finally, don't forget that we don't sell consumer direct - in the US, we sell to shops who sell to consumers. In foreign countries, we sell to importers who sell to shops who sell to consumers. This adds complexity that seems to multiply exponentially at each level.

We agree though - we think custom colors would be awesome, and we'd love to offer it in the future.
    JP

Tribe Member

It could be done right...right?

I am going to go out on a limb here and make a couple of observations.
    What if you offered up raw non painted frames and had them delivered to you guys in Golden.
    Those units could be ordered with custom paint, say 4 colors and then painted by somebody here in town like Spectrum or who Rich Gangl uses.
    Frames come back with custom color, shocks are fitted, bikes are built and then sent to the shop for the customer to pick up.
    All of this takes another month but you charge extra for all of it. All custom jobs are non refundable.

BMW has a great program called BMW individual. They offer it for the upper end models and I think that Yeti could do the same thing.

I know it seems simple typing up but there is probably more to it than this. It would be amazing to have though. I would probably still just order turquoise and black though....
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    I won't mention any specific vendors or models, but we've tried to have a couple different frames painted in the USA before, with disastrous results. In the end, it would have been both cheaper and faster(!) to put those frames on a boat, send them to Asia for painting, put them back on a boat, send them back to Colorado, and then deliver them to customers. The quality would have been much higher also.

Hard to believe, I know, but we've been through the exact scenario you suggest.

JP

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a custom-painting background (helmets, Harleys, bikes) and JP is right - whatever they do at the factory is very hard to replicate in terms of durability.

I use the best automotive paint possible, and the one personal alloy MTB frame that I did for myself, struggled to hold up well - it just succumbed to chips (more than a factory finish). You could indeed cover it heavily with clear protective film (which I did), but it still was not the same.

I've never researched exactly what they do at the factories overseas, but they do it well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    One idea that could be pretty flexible and not terribly hard would be to do a 3rd color but have that be a neutral and offer custom decal kits.

For example a white or matte carbon frame with off white or light silver graphics that could be easily overlayed with custom colored decals. If you didn't want to get the custom decals, you'd have a somewhat understated frame. The stock existing graphics would give the owner a simple guide as to where to place their custom overlay graphics. Most owners already apply helicopter tape or other materials to protect the frame and swingarm.

Yeti could make up a set of decals each model year with a standard amount of colors, and then introduce new ones as the year goes on, or offer custom sets. Black with fluorescent red? No prob. White with hot pink? Done. Special decals for Tribe attendees...
    ...on the run from Johnny Law, ain't no trip to Cleveland.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Paint durability might be in the mixology, for example varying the hardener/activator. Maybe a super sticky base primer?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RezaKalimantan View Post
    Paint durability might be in the mixology, for example varying the hardener/activator. Maybe a super sticky base primer?
    Mixing ratios are pretty precise and aren't supposed to be altered of course. I have thinned a base coat out with the appropriate reducer because I needed it to flow out smoother, etc. But beyond that, adding more activator isn't going to make the product harder in the end. Heat can be added to the equation but again, it won't make the product stronger.

Base primers and sealers are already great products that are very specifically targeted for specific purposes (bare steel, aluminum, plastic, carbon).

I just looked up an article that gave a brief tour of the Giant factory - there is a lot of automation of course, but surprisingly they show a lot of manual labor involved too. I'd definitely like to know more about the painting process.

I really like the idea of custom decal kits. I want change the look my my SB, but I won't do it unless I can find someone willing to make a couple sets of OEM-looking decals (that I can produce regarding the artwork), but in a very high-quality material (12mil or thicker, etc.). I would love to paint my frame matte black and have turquoise or orange OE-looking decals made (or orange frame / white decals, etc). Tough to find someone interested in a one-off job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Happy to be a sucker for black.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    John,

Thank you for taking time to address the tribes questions. In regard to 2016 models. do you see a running change to perhaps provide internal cable routing? Seems like a simple change that could be accommodated without significant changes to the production molds and would clean up the bikes aesthetics, my $02 worth.
    Last edited by buggymancan; 1 Week Ago at 07:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    John,

Thank you for taking time to address the tribes questions. In regard to 2016 models. do you see a running change to perhaps provide internal cable routing? Seems like a simple change that could be accommodated without significant changes to the production molds and would clean up the bikes aesthetics, my $02 worth.
    Bump

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    No plans for that on the SB5 for 2016.

Cactus Cuddler
    Quote Originally Posted by BHRuss View Post
    I think you'll eventually decide that a black frame with pops of selective anodized bling will work for you... but waiting until model year closeouts will net you a more baller build. I'd do that, since you already had the patience to wait until the 2016's are announced to decide.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    I think you'll eventually decide that a black frame with pops of selective anodized bling will work for you... but waiting until model year closeouts will net you a more baller build. I'd do that, since you already had the patience to wait until the 2016's are announced to decide.
    There will be no closeouts on the SB5 this year. Our warehouse right now practically has tumbleweeds blowing through it, and the small batches that will be delivered later this summer were booked for dealers long ago.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - you can wait around, test the waters, and hope something better comes along, or you can dive in, join the Tribe, and have fun out on your bike.

JP

Cactus Cuddler
    I'm not surprised.

Depending on sizing, would the Beti SB-5c count as an alternate color? Because those frames look awesome.

I guess the ones that might show up will be the shop bro ones that have been used half a season, and decide to move to the other size of SB. Worst case, the parts to bolt onto it will be available, and the newer EVOL Fox rear shocks will be more readily available.

If (or when... I can hope) your guys roll out the SB-9c (or whatever the SwitchInfinity 29er ends up being) for us wagon wheelers, I'll be hard pressed to stay away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    I'm not surprised.

Depending on sizing, would the Beti SB-5c count as an alternate color? Because those frames look awesome.

I guess the ones that might show up will be the shop bro ones that have been used half a season, and decide to move to the other size of SB. Worst case, the parts to bolt onto it will be available, and the newer EVOL Fox rear shocks will be more readily available.

If (or when... I can hope) your guys roll out the SB-9c (or whatever the SwitchInfinity 29er ends up being) for us wagon wheelers, I'll be hard pressed to stay away.
    I would assume the Beti line has suspension valving catered to the typical female rider, among other specs too. I'm sure it's not just a color difference. Im totally guessing but I would have to think they really put the details into the line.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    I would assume the Beti line has suspension valving catered to the typical female rider, among other specs too. I'm sure it's not just a color difference. Im totally guessing but I would have to think they really put the details into the line.
    This is correct. The valving is quite a bit different on the Betis - I think this was covered in the Pinkbike article if you'd like more info.
    JP

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    This is correct. The valving is quite a bit different on the Betis - I think this was covered in the Pinkbike article if you'd like more info.
    JP
    Hey John, do you know if there will be new colors for the SB6? or can we expect the same thing in the fall?

mtbr member
    I have an SB5C on order for over a month. The wait has been torture!