mtbr member
    May 2009

Help me with Shock options for my Yeti SB-66 Carbon

Hey fellas,

Im planning on building up a yeti SB66 carbon for my aggressive cross country / AM use. I love climbing to get to the downs and plan on racing this bike at the BC bike race as well as the occasional weekly snow summit shuttle. I know its fairly common to see 34 floats and rp23s on yetis, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience running the latest Pike RCT3 and Monarch series rear shocks on this frame?

Not only is rockshox lighter a bit cheaper but I've also heard nothing but great reviews on these products, just not sure how that would translate to the SB66 carbon.

Mr. Knowitall
    Try a Monarch Plus RC3 or Vivid Air. Both Are better than Fox Float period!

26 for life.
    I'm running a Pike dual position on my 66 alloy. A huge improvement over the fox 32's. The damping is spot on & the stiffness is a world better than the old 32.
    The Solo air 150mm would have been more than adequate, but I wanted a white fork.
    I'm considering the Vivid air as well.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The monarch plus comes in low / mid / high tune options, is there a specific tune that is more suited for the sb66 carbon?

Mr. Knowitall
    My Vivid Air had the Low tune on my SB66

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I installed a Pike 150mm solo air two weeks ago. Replaced a 2013 Fox 32 150 Talas CTD. Pike is much stiffer, especially on rocky sections, can go over obstacles that the Fox would deflect to the side. Changed the stem from 90mm to 50mm, partly due to the smaller offset on the Pike, makes slow speed technical sections much easier to maneuver, doing a trail 180 is cakewalk compared to 90mm. Totally happy with switch. Still using 2012 Fox RP23, which came stock on my frame (2012 SB66c).

PS - Pike is 50 grams lighter than Fox, cut to same length.

dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Pike is super buttery! Put the 160 solo air on my wifes 66 alloy. I have a 2013/14 hybrid Fox 34 150 on my 66 carbon. Can't wait to sell it and get a Pike for myself. So much nicer.

Also swapped out the CTD for a Cane Creek DB Air CS.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by m1neral View Post
    The Pike is super buttery! Put the 160 solo air on my wifes 66 alloy. I have a 2013/14 hybrid Fox 34 150 on my 66 carbon. Can't wait to sell it and get a Pike for myself. So much nicer.

Also swapped out the CTD for a Cane Creek DB Air CS.
    Do you notice the 10mm difference going from the 150 to 160? I'm sure its great for the downs but wondering how it affects the all-around default geometry recommendation from yeti? How does it handle on the climbs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by keyboardrider View Post
    Do you notice the 10mm difference going from the 150 to 160? I'm sure its great for the downs but wondering how it affects the all-around default geometry recommendation from yeti? How does it handle on the climbs?
    I had the same concern initially...and its not so much the extra 10mm, but the difference in axel-to-crown height and altered angles. Then I took a look at the 2014 SBs, and all models ship stock from Yeti with 160s. I emailed and asked why the change...from Matt directly:

"After feedback from riders and our racers we found that people were often going with a 160 fork, so we decided to make it stock. The bike is optimized for either the 150 or the 160 depending on desired ride quality."

My wife is climbing just fine on it, and taking drops like a champ. I've been riding my SB a lot more aggressively as time goes on and am looking forward to that extra travel and rake of a 160 pike over the 150 Fox. (Lets not forget the other issue that the 34 150 was a custom OEM fork and that by going 160, Yeti/Fox can eliminate some of that customization & complexity on their end by using a stock product).

Either way you can't go wrong. I love these bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Why not change it with a 150 27.5 fork? Geometry should not change that much coming from a 160 on 26. Right? Have any of you seen this?