mtbr member
    May 2004

Help Me! My resolve weakening... must... stay... tribe

Mmmmrrrhhh! No! Will not! Must not! Aarrgghh!

I love my ARC, but I'm getting to the point where my mid 30's bones and frame won't tolerate the hardtailiness of it all anymore.

I've been testriding other bikes and, some of them were not Yetis.

I tried an ASRsl first and it felt really really good. Oh how I wanted one.

I tried a 575 and really didn't like it at all. Very upright riding position like a delivery bike. Felt like it should have had a basket on the handlebars. High centre of gravity and didn't seem to corner anywhere as nicely as the ASRsl. Hmm, if I was spending my days doing plus 3 foot drops then I could justify it (maybe) but even then it all felt wrong.

I tried a Cannondale Rush 2000. Nice, to be sure, but I just don't trust that wierd lefty thing. Anyway, I'm only chasing a frame, not a full built bike. Cannondale was helllish fast in a straight line but didn't fel as nice as the ASR in the corners.

Finally I tried a Giant Trance 1. This was really nice. Felt good in the turns and I'd argue that it actually climbs better than my ARC. There's just a tiny "something" that the ASR has that the Trance is missing. I don't know what it is (aside from about 2000 Australian off the price of the frame and shock).

And here I guess is my dilemma. I know that in my heart the ASRsl is a better frame, but the Trance is 90% of the bike for 40% of the money (talking frame plus RP3)

The worlds biggest MTB race is on here in about three and a half months. The course is lumpy and fatiguing and I want a duallie frame that I can swap the bits from my ARC to.

The Giant with RP3 is within easy reach and would be new. I haven't got a hope of anything better than an 03 model ASRsl with alu chainstays and a 5th by race day.

(On the plus side, being a turquoise Yeti I may be able to sneak it past the missus without her realising I've upgraded at all. Yes, she wouldn't even notice the swap from hardtail to duallie)

Aarrggghh! What should I do??? Jump for the Trance and hope to upgrade again in a year or so, or trust that the Trance will fix my upgradeitis? Hold out for a second hand ASRsl?

Help!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullrange Drew
    Mmmmrrrhhh! No! Will not! Must not! Aarrgghh!

I love my ARC, but I'm getting to the point where my mid 30's bones and frame won't tolerate the hardtailiness of it all anymore.

I've been testriding other bikes and, some of them were not Yetis.

I tried an ASRsl first and it felt really really good. Oh how I wanted one.

I tried a 575 and really didn't like it at all. Very upright riding position like a delivery bike. Felt like it should have had a basket on the handlebars. High centre of gravity and didn't seem to corner anywhere as nicely as the ASRsl. Hmm, if I was spending my days doing plus 3 foot drops then I could justify it (maybe) but even then it all felt wrong.

I tried a Cannondale Rush 2000. Nice, to be sure, but I just don't trust that wierd lefty thing. Anyway, I'm only chasing a frame, not a full built bike. Cannondale was helllish fast in a straight line but didn't fel as nice as the ASR in the corners.

Finally I tried a Giant Trance 1. This was really nice. Felt good in the turns and I'd argue that it actually climbs better than my ARC. There's just a tiny "something" that the ASR has that the Trance is missing. I don't know what it is (aside from about 2000 Australian off the price of the frame and shock).

And here I guess is my dilemma. I know that in my heart the ASRsl is a better frame, but the Trance is 90% of the bike for 40% of the money (talking frame plus RP3)

The worlds biggest MTB race is on here in about three and a half months. The course is lumpy and fatiguing and I want a duallie frame that I can swap the bits from my ARC to.

The Giant with RP3 is within easy reach and would be new. I haven't got a hope of anything better than an 03 model ASRsl with alu chainstays and a 5th by race day.

(On the plus side, being a turquoise Yeti I may be able to sneak it past the missus without her realising I've upgraded at all. Yes, she wouldn't even notice the swap from hardtail to duallie)

Aarrggghh! What should I do??? Jump for the Trance and hope to upgrade again in a year or so, or trust that the Trance will fix my upgradeitis? Hold out for a second hand ASRsl?

Help!
    Get what you really want, which is the AS-R. If you get the Giant, you will just be wanting to eventually get the AS-R. Your wife may not like the money spent on the AS-R but definately would not like that you bought a bike and in a year are ready to get another new one. That would be how my wife is anyway.

Try calling Will at fullcycles.com and see if he can get you a decent price. You might be surprised. I was.

mtbr member

Try a size up on the 575...

I work pretty closely with Yeti and I find the sizing on the 575 to be a bit off the mark. I'm 5'9" and of average build. No freakishly long torso or inseam. According to their sizing chart I should be on a medium (and some guys my size report actually riding smalls!) The problem is, the medium felt like a circus bike. I switched to a large with a 100 mm stem and the longer length of the top tube took me from 'circus bike' back into long-travel XC/all mountain.

Just a thought. And yeah, I back up Iviguy. Get the Yeti. Either one. You're gonna have it eventually, so why not now?

Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Your wife might not notice the bike, but what about the maniacal sh!t-eating grin?!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    Get what you really want, which is the AS-R. If you get the Giant, you will just be wanting to eventually get the AS-R.
    Try calling Will at fullcycles.com and see if he can get you a decent price. You might be surprised. I was.
    Hmm, need something ithin the next few months. I'm in Australia so if I'm going ASRsl in that timeframe it's going to have to be secondhand. If I was buying new I'd get one locally, not an online from the states as our local industry is pretty dark on grey imports (understandably).

If a couple of secondhand parts sales hadn't fallen through this week, I'd already be on the Trance. As they have and that boat has sailed, I'll try and hold out for an ASRsl to pop up somewhere on the market. (also no warranty, but at least my local yeti dealer won't hate me)
    Riding the trance there was always going to be that little thing niggling in the back of my head... "you should be on a yeti... you should be on a yeti..."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Drew, I had a Trance 1 for 3 months, rides fine, but go for Anthem if you want light weight as Trance frame alone is 7.3 lbs! ....and trouble is Giant has no soul. Stick with Yeti....go for an ASR. If you buy a giant you will forever crave the turquoise.
    Chaser.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [Stick with Yeti....go for an ASR. If you buy a giant you will forever crave the turquoise.
    Chaser.[/QUOTE]

That is so true!!! I always wanted a Yeti and one day when I was getting a new bike I got hooked up with a sweet team issue Cannondale with the works. Awesome bike but.....it wasn't a Yeti and it haunted me. Needless to say, I sold the Cannondale and got a Yeti restoring peace and balance to the universe. I recently purcahsed an Intense M3 and even then the ghosts have haunted me even though the Intense is one of the finest DH bikes made. I just didn't feel good with the rails on the 303. Sometimes you can overcome the hauntings and sometimes not. It is an expensive gamble. Pray to the Yeti Gods and they will guide you to make the right choice. Beware of your logical thoughts, as they may deceive you. Yeti is in the heart and sometimes only felt in the solitude of the mountains and on the singletrack.