Who is John Galt?

Help me dial in my 575 fork

Getting reaquainted with my Yeti 575 after the shock went out. Before I had it pretty dialed in, now the shock is OK but the fork (Fox Vanilla RL) seems really harsh. When I hammer on rocky terrain it really beats me up. I think the sag is about right, not sure where to begin adjusting to get a more plush ride. I had thought I was on the borderline with the standard spring, being 3 Krispy Kremes from 200 pounds. But the way it feels, it's plush into the first couple inches of travel but on the really big hits it's harsh as all get out. Would think the heavier spring would be worse? I'm wishing I had the compression adjustment.

The trail I was on had miles of babyheads, so maybe this is to be expected? I really expected it to smooth out the bumps more.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member

my $0.02

I'm about your size (200-205 lbs riding weight), and am on a large 575. It took me a while to get the fork dialed in. I originally had the vanilla RL.

How much preload do you have to use to set the sag? I had to use all of the preload to get the sag right, but then the fork felt harsh and had problems w/ brake dive. The answer to this is to move to the stiffer spring and use little or no preload.

Also, check your rebound damping. If you have it set too slow, the fork could be packing up when you are going through rough stuff. Start with it in the middle, and try moving it a click or 2 each direction and see how that feels.

Just after getting the RL dialed in, I damaged a stanchion and replaced it with a PUSH'D vanilla RLC. Wow. What a difference the compression damping and custom valving/tune makes.

If changing the preload/spring and rebound settings don't work and you have the $, and don't mind being without your ride for a week or so, send your fork to PUSH and get the compression damping added and get it tuned for your bike.

Who is John Galt?
    Good advice. Like you, I have a ton of preload. I did try setting the rebound in the middle and working both ways, not sure I noticed much of a difference. Problem is, when I hit the rough stuff I am too preoccupied with keeping the line and can't pay much attention to the fork. Really need someone to watch what's going on but most of the time I ride alone. You might be right, I may need the stiffer spring. Might look into the Push this winter, if this one is like last year I won't get much riding in. Ground tends to freeze at night, then thaw in the day making for unrideable muck.
    What, me hurry?