Hi!!!

Help me choose a set of XC wheels....

I'm 200 pounds nekkid. Throw in gear and clothes....ehhh take a guess at how much I weigh on the bike.

Most of the stuff I ride around here is non-techy dirt roads and single/doubletrack. Gotta climb up to get back down. Very XC'ish. I don't catch much air nor do I think I beat the crap out of my bike.

I'm looking for a wheelset that is a smidge lighter than I have on right now....Mavic 317 with Deore hubs with 2.24 Mutanoraptors at both ends. Oh and the rear wheel has a SRAM cassette.

Ideally I'd like to keep the current wheels and use those only for when I'm riding at some of the ski resorts around here.

What I'd like to do is buy a complete wheelset....I don't want to deal with the hassle of buying rims, hubs, and spokes seperately and then having someone build them up.

I can prodeal from the likes of Mavic, Shimano, WTB, etc. So I'd like to keep my total price under $200 for a pair. I sure wish I had printed out the Mavic and WTB prodeal lists so I know what I could potentially be spending, but figure on at least 50% off of retail.

I don't think I'll do this now. I'm gonna wait until later this year or early next year to do it. I've spent way too much $ this year on crap .

Mahalo!

Nick
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I'm 200 pounds nekkid. Throw in gear and clothes....ehhh take a guess at how much I weigh on the bike.

Most of the stuff I ride around here is non-techy dirt roads and single/doubletrack. Gotta climb up to get back down. Very XC'ish. I don't catch much air nor do I think I beat the crap out of my bike.

I'm looking for a wheelset that is a smidge lighter than I have on right now....Mavic 317 with Deore hubs with 2.24 Mutanoraptors at both ends. Oh and the rear wheel has a SRAM cassette.

Ideally I'd like to keep the current wheels and use those only for when I'm riding at some of the ski resorts around here.

What I'd like to do is buy a complete wheelset....I don't want to deal with the hassle of buying rims, hubs, and spokes seperately and then having someone build them up.

I can prodeal from the likes of Mavic, Shimano, WTB, etc. So I'd like to keep my total price under $200 for a pair. I sure wish I had printed out the Mavic and WTB prodeal lists so I know what I could potentially be spending, but figure on at least 50% off of retail.

I don't think I'll do this now. I'm gonna wait until later this year or early next year to do it. I've spent way too much $ this year on crap .

Mahalo!

Nick
    $200 for a set isn't going to get you much better than what you currently have. The FSA XC 300 wheelset gets good reviews. I don't know if they are lighter but they are a $400+ wheelset that at fullcycles.com you can get for about $300. Otherwise you are going to have to get into the $400 to $500 range to get something really good.

I would be happy with a wheel that is the same weight or even a little heaver but much more rigid. I don't care for these flexy XM317's.

DOH.. I didn't catch the prodeal thing, whatever that is. If you can get the Crossmax Enduro's that's a good wheelset, especially at 50% off retail.

surly inbred
    Let's not let all that typing go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I'm looking for a wheelset that is a smidge lighter than I have on right now...
    I've got a new wheelset on my radar and was thinking the same thing. I really have no issues with my XT/Mavic set-up. They've been solid, but need attention regularly (truing/tightening.)

Me: XC with air time growing, but nothing bigger than some 2-3 footers and the occasional surprise (4-5') Can I shed some weight and keep the durability without shelling out half of what the frame cost?

EDR
    I had Mavic Crossmax Enduro's on my xc bike. They took plenty of abuse. I trued them once after 2 years but even then they didn't really need it. They have 24 spokes I think so they look awesome and are UST compatable if you like that sort of thing. I would have kept them for my new bike but I needed 32 hole wheelset.

I loved them but I don't think you can touch them for under 4 or 5 hundred. If you can prodeal them then maybe you can get closer to what you want to spend.

mtbr member
    I have the spinergy xyclone and you can get them around 450 at beyondbikes.com
    They been very rigid and no problemo

surly inbred
    I've been eyeing the WTB XC laser discs, but haven't heard much feedback on them as far as riding local terrain.

mtbr member
    As mentioned, I think the problem will be for you is to stay around the 200.00 mark unless you find a really good deal somewhere on what your looking for.

I do the same thing and have two sets of complete rims, tires, etc..
    The one I have the stock Mavic 819 w/xt hubs and Kenda Nevegals 2.35. Xt hubs. This combo makes (IMO) the bike feel slow and heavy but works well when the terrain calls for it.
    The second set I have are Mavic XC 717 laced up to Chris King hubs, XT cassette, and
    IRC Mythos XC tires. This combo makes the 575 fly for me. I don't do anything crazy with this setup but they can handle a lot.
    There are lighter wheels out there and a lot of helpful folks on this forum to help point you in the right direction.

Good luck
    When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
    Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
    Till I get to the bottom and I see you again...

Helter Skelter