mtbr member

Heckler vs. 575 (again)

I know the subject of this thread is not a new one. However, I wanted to revist the topic to get some more up-to-date feedback. So here it goes.

I own an 04' Heckler size Medium. It is built with a mix of heavy duty XC and Freeride parts (Progressive 5th Element Coil, Saint Cranks, Sram X-O/X-9, Fox Vanilla RLC, Chris King Hubs w/ DT 4.1d rims). My prefered riding style is "all-mountain" or more specifically I like to ride anything and everything. I don't have a quiver of Mtbikes so I need a 1-shot do it all ride. The Heckler has served me well although it is a little on the heavy side as built (31-32 lbs) for longer XC rides with lots of climbing. I haven't had any issues with it on the downhills except some slight brake jack and the occasional desire for it's rear end to be a little stiffer.

I am thinking of updating the frame sooner than later and am considering the Yeti 575. I love Yeti as a company and prefer to support local businesses if possible (although the 575s are welded in Taiwan). I have a few concerns about the Yeti which I hope some of you who have riden one or both of these bikes will be able to chime in on.

I have read some reviews of the Yeti suggesting the rear swing arm is not supper stiff (there is also some evidence that this may be a result of the build). Can any one offer a comparison of the Yeti and the Heckler in this department? How about the carbon vs. the aluminium chainstays on the Yeti?

I recently switched the Hecklers 90mm stem out for a 50mm oversized stem. I like the stiffness and enhanced handling - although the cockpit length is now a little short for me. I know the top-tube on the Yeti is slightly longer so maybe switching the Heckler build over to a Yeti frame would work out ok. Is anyone running a shorter 50-70mm stem on a 575? How is the handling? It seems like the 575's are typically built out for more XC-oriented riding I am curious to hear feedback from 575 owners who have built thier bikes up to be a little heavier duty...

Any thoughts on progressive's coil versus the Fox DHX air (which is what I would get on the Yeti)? Any other information pertaining to the Yeti in comparision with the Heckler would be helpful. Specifically issues of durability (bearings, bushings, paint, etc) and handling are of interest.

Cheers,
    CLAW

mtbr member
    May 2006

575 V Heckler experience

Hi Claw,

I rode a Heckler [not the SL version] for 4 years.

I find the rear end of the 575 much stiffer laterally than the Heckler which if you look at it has inlt the pivot and the shock mount to keep things in line. The 575 benefits from the dogbone which keeps any side load off the shock mount.

I also used to find the Heckler too short in the top tube - my medium 575 top tube is an inch longer than my med' Heckler and feel far better for it.

My Heckler weighed in at 29 lbs and my 575 weichs in at 26lbs although the 575 does have more exotica on it!

As for bearings etc...my 575 is only 4 months old so time will tell - the 575 is still technically a single pivot design so the main bearings should last the same as on a Heckler. The bearings in the dog bone are not really under much load so should be fine.

Hope this info helps.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Chaser.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Ps.

Claw,

Yeti say you cannot use a coil shock on the 575 as it was specifically designed around the characteristics of an air shock.

Chaser.

mtbr member

26lb! please post your set up

mine way 27.8 and I went light.
    Thanks
    GB

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    mine way 27.8 and I went light.
    Thanks
    GB
    28.2 lbs here and was thinking the same. Medium carbon 575, Am Classic hubs with 717 rims, RF Deus cranks, Rocket V stealth seat, Eggbeater S. Forks are All Mtn SLs, a bit weighty but I can't be giving away more than 1/2 pound here.