mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Has anyone noticed grease or oil residue around the switch mechanism or pivots?

I have a SB66C and I've noticed recently when my bike is dirty and dusty that there is grease or oil around the switch mech and rear triangle pivots. I don't have many miles on this specific frame and haven't noticed this on my other SB66A's. DOes this mean it's time for a bearing replacement?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I infrequently see some build-up around the switch and pivot bearings on my '95a, I just dry-wipe it off to prevent build-up.

I kind-of doubt it's grease weeping out of the bearing sets but I suppose it's possible.

On the '95 I'd wonder if it's just where moisture can easily trap things, every now and then I pull the BB to dry out the inside and usually find a little bit of water there, not much and usually not even an ounce but certainly enough to rag-wipe out.

That moisture could be going in or out any number of ways - I don't generally ride bb-deep in water but I don't shy away from splashing through stuff too much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Re: Has anyone noticed grease or oil residue around the switch mechanism or pivots?

I service the switch eccentric on mine with a smear of grease on the seals. I see this picking up dust in dry conditions. Just means it has been assembled by someone who doesn't like components running dry. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm View Post
    I service the switch eccentric on mine with a smear of grease on the seals. I see this picking up dust in dry conditions. Just means it has been assembled by someone who doesn't like components running dry. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk 2
    + 2 I pulled my 95 apart when new ( chasing a creak because it was dry ) and packed the bearings , pivots and the switch assemble, and I would be mad if I did not see grease coming out at all my moving points !

mtbr member
    If you look at the Owner's manual you will see it says to grease all of the areas you are talking about.

Now I will say most of my bearings didn't have much grease in them so I repacked them but the grease you are seeing is not from the bearings.