i like cheese.

New question here. It happened again...

the bolt where the dogbone meets the shock came loose on me... This is the second time this has happened, both times during technical descents. For those of you in the Phoenix area, this time it occured while coming down Mormon to 24th st... a piece of trail I'd rather not be thinking about my equipment. The other time coming down national, which happened to be the same day as a Yeti demo there. The guys looked my bike over, and replaced the bolt thinking it may have been a manufacturing issue with the fastener.
    Yesterday coming down, I noticed a sudden play in the rear end was able to safely stop and tighten the bolt and delicately be on my way. Since the last time it happened I have been checking the rear tire for play before my rides, but I have not been wrenching it down prior to every ride... I felt no play yesterday. I am not sure if the bolt was loose before the ride (but not enough to cause play), but it was very loose when I stopped...
    Anybody else have similar issues? Is it a poor timing issue and I need to be tightening up all my fasteners more often? Or, something wrong with the assembly...

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by bike=good
    the bolt where the dogbone meets the shock came loose on me... This is the second time this has happened, both times during technical descents. For those of you in the Phoenix area, this time it occured while coming down Mormon to 24th st... a piece of trail I'd rather not be thinking about my equipment. The other time coming down national, which happened to be the same day as a Yeti demo there. The guys looked my bike over, and replaced the bolt thinking it may have been a manufacturing issue with the fastener.
    Yesterday coming down, I noticed a sudden play in the rear end was able to safely stop and tighten the bolt and delicately be on my way. Since the last time it happened I have been checking the rear tire for play before my rides, but I have not been wrenching it down prior to every ride... I felt no play yesterday. I am not sure if the bolt was loose before the ride (but not enough to cause play), but it was very loose when I stopped...
    Anybody else have similar issues? Is it a poor timing issue and I need to be tightening up all my fasteners more often? Or, something wrong with the assembly...
    You're on a 575 right? I think we met out at SoMo a couple months ago.

Anyway, I'd use some Loctite (the non permanent blue kind) on that fastener to see if that works out. I've been using Loctite on the pivot bolt of my Rocky Mtn for years and haven't had any problems. Have you contacted Yeti to see what they recommend?

mtbr member
    May 2006

loose bolts

Hi,

Use loctite blue, it will do the trick.

Chaser.

EDR
    I did have the same problem when my 575 was new. That bolt (and one or two others) came loose after every few rides. I finally used blue thread locker and haven't had a problem since.

trail "cleaner"

like all of the others.....

Blue loctite and check after every other ride with a torque wrench is my recipe for success. My '05 575 had the issue until I used the loctite. Now, even checking frequently, no problems. So.... with my '06 I decided to take care of the problem before it ever became one. FYI, my 575's spend all of their time on National, Holbert, Geronimo, Mormon proper, etc...... So you know hard they get used
    No dabs allowed!

i like cheese.
    Thanks for the input, I am going to give the Loc-tite a try...

and, yes AZMikey, we did meet. I am on a raw 575 w/ a gold CK headset...

I need to come out of my shell a little, if any of you guys wouldn't mind another for a trip up to buena vista let me know...

mtbr member

Same here

Noticed that RRB's 575 felt a little loose in the rear. I thought it was the wheel but then realized it was the dog bone pivot. Tightened it up to around 130 inch lbs (and I did my bike at the same time) and all is good. I'll continue to check that after every post ride inspection/maintenance. If it keeps loosening up, it maybe time for Mr. Blue Loctite.