Who is John Galt?

Great place to ride a Yeti

From the latest issue of Dirtrag comes this excellent place to ride a Yeti, the Womble Trail (Arkansas):

"Nobody can say for sure where the name came from but the explanation I like best is that "Womble" is the regional word for a Yeti-like critter—the Arkansas equivelant of the abominable snowman, or the northeast's Sasquatch—and this is his home territory. So fill your hydration pack, sharpen your focus, climb on a quick-handling bike and hit the Womble to learn what it feels like to be that hairy old man of the forest."

This trail sounds like a mother, one wrong move and you go off the deep end...
    What, me hurry?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    From the latest issue of Dirtrag comes this excellent place to ride a Yeti, the Womble Trail (Arkansas):
    I've ridden it. Its actually my favorite trail I've ever ridden, and I live in Colorado where we have some pretty decent stuff....

We did the whole thing in a day. Parked a car on the south end of it, shuttled to the north end and started our journey. It is a super remote, self supported type of ride. Its 37 miles from one end to the other and has something like 6,000ft of climbing in that stretch.

The trail has super flow, some great downhills and a ton of trail that is bench cut into the side of the mountain. Oh and lots of exposure in places. There is something about being that far away from help that makes the ride that much better. I always say that if the Womble was remotely near anything substantial it would be a "mecca".

Bad Case of the Mondays
    By the way, you can see some pics here at this site:
    http://www.okearthbike.com/RoadTrip/womble2003.html

sushi lover
    May 2006
    that's the way to load up the bikes! was it custom-built?

mtbr member

Good job!

good stuff Jdub......looks like a fun time.

Who is John Galt?
    Nice photos! But did you see a Yeti (or a Womble)? Might have to give this a try.
    What, me hurry?