Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Graves to run 180mm on SB66c..

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  swan3609 
#1 ·
I didn't know it was recommended to run a 180mm.. I thought 160mm was max....

What you guys say about how the bike will do?

#2 · (Edited)
I watched last years World Cup at PMB and the course was flat and most people had a dropper post on their bikes, I also watched a course preview POV cam run yesterday and it looks like I wouldn't have too much of a problem riding my bike there, so I think Jared's decision to run the bike that he feels most comfortable on could work in his favour, the SB66 with longer travel forks basically feels like a mini DH bike anyway, so versatile.

He's been riding the Enduro World Series this years and ALL of the stages were gnarlier than the PMB track, he's been running a 160mm Fork all year on these so the extra 20mm might help on some of the bigger jumps of the course.

He's also been absolutely storming the EWS all year, he's in second place and looks to take silver in the whole series, but he power, strength and fitness on a bike is probably far higher than the current DH WC guys, there are a lot of flat out sprints on this course, these should suit him, so watch out all the DH guys that's what I say!

I have high hopes for Jared although being English I'd also like to see Steve Peat, Danny Hart or Josh Bryceland to take it, but I can't see it happening as the course wont favour their strengths.

#11 ·
I run a 160mm Fox 36 on my 575 - also not "approved" by Yeti - with no issues whatsoever (even doing some light downhill).

So no surprise with Graves running a 180 on the SB66. Stoked to see actually! Hope he does well!!

#12 ·
Yeti website says,
"The SB66-C is designed to run a 150mm or 160mm travel fork. Running a 160mm travel fork gives the bike a slacker head angle and a higher bottom bracket. For more detailed information check out the geometry chart in the SPECS tab."

Also in the 2012 and 2013 PDF files which have the warranty information all that is mentioned at the top of the document in the builds section is different fox builds at 150mm.

http://www.yeticycles.com/pdf/manuals/2012_OwnersManual_SB66C_LR.pdf

http://www.yeticycles.com/pdf/manuals/2013_OwnersManual_SB66C.pdf

At no point on the web or in these documents does it state fork size / length will void the frame warranty.
I remember looking into this before fitting my 170mm DH Lyrik. (now lowerd to 160 for geo).

Also saw somewhere on the web that the carbon is stronger than the ally frame. And I murder mine with DH duties every time I go out on it. Not just XC and Enduro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.